lazy loading images - hicups

djfex

hey, so the new lazy loading of images is annoying.

it resets my scrolling position while scrolling up to a position that is lower than it was before (while images are loaded in...)

also: clicking on images makes them 100% (width and height) instead of fitting the container's width.

I can't zoom out as far as I want to, meaning I can only watch the full image at once when it's a very small preview

pls improve this

thank you

42 minutes ago, djfex said:

hey, so the new lazy loading of images is annoying.

it resets my scrolling position while scrolling up to a position that is lower than it was before (while images are loaded in...)

I can't zoom out as far as I want to, meaning I can only watch the full image at once when it's a very small preview

pls improve this

thank you

I am not sure this is because of lazy loading. Pages with many images loading always had this issue. The difference is now the page is usable earlier without having to wait for many images to load first. We will look into some way to anchor but this may just be a situation where every solution has some drawbacks.

43 minutes ago, djfex said:

also: clicking on images makes them 100% (width and height) instead of fitting the container's width.

Noted: this was actually corrected today. Once your cache clears you should see the new behavior.

Thank you :)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, djfex said:

It resets my scrolling position while scrolling up to a position that is lower than it was before (while images are loaded in...)

@S77 I'm experiencing the same problem. Going into a thread to the first unread post and scrolling up from that post is almost impossible on a mobile device.

Guest Coltrane

Same here for the last 3 or 4 days in Chrome, Edge and Firefox. Cleared my cache, restarted computer and still experience it. Never had issues prior. Not a complaint as I know you guys are working hard to make everything for the better. Just reporting that I am experiencing the same issues as others. If you scroll down, everything flashes white and images will jump out large before reverting to thumbnail size. As you scroll up, you get bounced back to the point from where you began scrolling up if this makes sense.

Guest Coltrane
1 hour ago, S77 said:

It works great for me on mobile. 

Look at my clip here. What am I doing wrong?

https://we.tl/t-ctBgaBAcu7

Thank you for looking into this issue. It must have just been something wrong on my end for a little bit. Managed to get through the thread just fine on all 3 browsers now. Everything seems good on my end now. Any issues I have had are much better than they were on Friday when they were the most troublesome.

1 minute ago, Coltrane said:

Thank you for looking into this issue. It must have just been something wrong on my end for a little bit. Managed to get through the thread just fine on all 3 browsers now. Everything seems good on my end now. Any issues I have had are much better than they were on Friday when they were the most troublesome.

Sometimes when new things show up it causes issue since so much stuff here is designed to be cached. We will keep an eye on this.

Thank you  :)

On 4/14/2019 at 4:52 PM, S77 said:

Can someone link me to a thread that is particularly troublesome with regard to this issue? I would like to try.

I made all the pics in this post big:

Then go the the bottom of the thread and page up. It kept bouncing me back down so that I was pressing the page up button but I was looking at the same picture about 6 times. The rest of the page was also generally borked.

• Moderators
On 4/15/2019 at 8:31 PM, S77 said:

@Avataг Did your issues clear up as well?

On 4/15/2019 at 8:37 PM, Avataг said:

I need a thread with a new post to jump to and pics I haven't seen before above that post. I'll report when I found one :ph34r:

Found one. I jumped to a new post right at the end of a thread. Above this post were lots of pics my browser didn't display before. I scrolled up and those pics loaded one by one. Whenever one pic finished loading, the view of the thread was pushed down by the amount of space the pic needed to be shown. This went on for as long as it took to load all pics (as I scrolled further up). Maybe it would help if the loading pics didn't push the thread down, but up (when coming from the bottom of the thread instead of the top). Is that even possible?

I finally saw the issue. It happened to me. 

a similar thing used to happen without lazy load. Only in that case the whole page would basically freeze until all the pictures loaded. 

The lazy load thing was designed with the idea that images load as you scroll down. We are running into issues trying to start at the bottom and scroll up.  I’m not sure what the soulution is yet for this. I don’t think it’s worth turning lazy load off as a totally frozen page isn’t really a net positive.  At least with lazy load starting at the top and scrolling down is actually a big improvement on pages with lots of images. 

Just wanted to report, that it still keeps on happening to me, but you finally saw it yourself already

I'm gonna post this anyway, it might help with debugging after all:

direct link to comment of an affected thread

screencapture:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-13577338/2019_04_19_17_23_40.mp4.html

(I'm kinda sad, that I had to use an external service for a video, that's smaller than most images, but I can see why. before compressing it, it was 30mb in size, constant bitrate ^^)

@S77 pls tell me when you have watched it, so I can delete it then :)

ps: the url address bar was blacked out by chrome automatically since it was a private tab.

• 2 weeks later...

@djfex It seems (after a lot of effort) the issue has been resolved. Please give it a check. We were having trouble figuring out exactly what was causing the issue. Special thanks to Stuart for this solve. What a great developer he is.

Thank you ALL!!