PLEASE PLEASE disable embedded Instagram links

MadDog

Mods,

The feature that allows a user to paste an IG link, then auto-embeddes into their post, is creating a terrible bottleneck with slowing down the site, especially on mobile.  Pages rarely load fully when it’s populated with nothing but embedded links.  Truly hate this specific feature.  Embedding with gifs and other things are fine, but the IG link feature is really creating an unfriendly user experience.  It seems to load slower than normal, possibly cause it’s trying to link to the native feed (??).

Currently, I can’t even leave a comment on the Ayesha Perry thread, cause the entire page is nothing but embedded links, and the amount of time it takes for them all to link up to IG so it displays the ‘feed’ is HORRENDOUS!!  

Seriously consider not allowing this.   It will help speed up page loading and possibly allow the site overall to behave in a more efficient manner.  

@cyrobolives2.0   Please take the extra time to save the IG photo you wish to post, and simply post the pic, instead of the link.   You’ll be doing a large portion of this community a favor.    Appreciate your posts, just not a fan of the embedded IG link.   If you need assistance on how to save a pic, there are lots of apps that allow you to do this quite easily.  

Thank you.    

1 hour ago, S77 said:

We are considering enabling Lazy load to help with the speed of pages loading. The page will render as you scroll down instead of waiting for everything to render before the page loads.

Well, certainly hope a decision is made soon, one way or the other.  My user experience has deteriorated immensely with everyone simply posting the embedded link instead of the pic itself.   This is even when on wifi, not just cellular.   

I can’t get full pages to load and it’s very frustrating   😡

I understand the concern. There was a thread just a while back arguing the exact opposite, something about how we must do the embed LOL

Anyway, I can see where you are coming from. We have actually been making a LOT of improvements lately to help speed things up. Most recently we totally rebuilt the home page for members and guests. It's a lot more efficient now. Home page was the biggest pain point for slow loads.

2 hours ago, MadDog said:

Well, certainly hope a decision is made soon, one way or the other.  My user experience has deteriorated immensely with everyone simply posting the embedded link instead of the pic itself.   This is even when on wifi, not just cellular.   

I can’t get full pages to load and it’s very frustrating   😡

ok, Try now. I think you will find that Lazy load is working and making the site feel much faster. For example, you won't have to wait for every image on the page to load before the page loads. Additionally we have started to disk cache our templates and some other tricks for additional speed.

Thank you :)

39 minutes ago, S77 said:

ok, Try now. I think you will find that Lazy load is working and making the site feel much faster. For example, you won't have to wait for every image on the page to load before the page loads. Additionally we have started to disk cache our templates and some other tricks for additional speed.

Thank you :)

Thanks @S77 for listening and responding.   Let me navigate around for the rest of the day/weekend and see how things go.  Fingers crossed! 🤞