If you could add one emotion to reactions?

S77

• Moderators

Even Facebook realized that they need a "don't like" button. :lol: And speaking of negative reactions: We already have a "sad" reaction. I think it's good to be able to react according to the emotions one has while reading a post, even if it's a negative emotion. I like that emoji :wub:

3 hours ago, S77 said:

Maybe this? Call it ANGRY

Do we really need angry? Negative reactions might not be the direction we need to go.

7b64519919c3d9edf25caac5228b1c89.png  1   166.07 kB

Conversely, it might actually improve the direction...if someone can click on an icon, in lieu of drafting up a lengthy and needlessly complicated rebuttal(gee, can you fucking think of anyone who is known to do that?) it could potentially alleviate and/or nullify a lot of the back-and-forth drama we're used to seeing.

Then again, it could just provoke the whole, "You gave me an angry face for THAT?!?!?" debate, henceforth adding gratuitous fuel to the proverbial fire.

But the real question is...would it take away karma?  😈

2 hours ago, Jabba Desilijic Tiure said:

But the real question is...would it take away karma?  😈

Interesting question. It's not impossible to make a few reactions that actually remove reputation points. but I am not sure we want that. I think angry face will simply not award a reputation point to the recipient.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, S77 said:

Interesting question. It's not impossible to make a few reactions that actually remove reputation points. but I am not sure we want that. I think angry face will simply not award a reputation point to the recipient.

Now that is a nice idea, @Jabba Desilijic Tiure. I absolutely want that to happen. Angry face = rep point lost. We had some dick-measuring contests in the past, where people were complaining about one's posts and the discussion led to two users comparing rep points. I really love to see people lose karma for making other users angry! :lol:

To take it further, what if the emoji reactions and the karma system were two separate entities? 

To the best of my knowledge, the only faces that don't add karma are the 'Wow', 'Sad', and 'Confused' ones.  And I've seen a good few instances where the 'Haha' clearly wasn't meant in a positive connotation.  Similar to the 'Wow' many times being worthy of boosting a user's rep.

AND retractions don't even update in real time...they only appear once an admin does a site-wide audit to refresh those statuses.  I learned that the hard way when I thought I had hit a milestone, yet @S77 showed me that in actuality I wasn't even close.  😋

No offense, but this forum is rather, uh, "unique" in how the user feedback/reputation system is set up.  Never seen anything quite akin to it in my decades of surfing the web.  And I'm not sure whether or not it's the most efficient way of going about things.  😕