Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC)

John Smith

17 hours ago, stang0909 said:

It's a little scary how uninformed you are on what's going on with her.

It's not that scary really considering I'm just a foreigner with a passing interest in US politics. What is scary is that a large number of your population can't tell when they're being conned by an administration who don't even feel their habitual lying has to be the slightest bit plausible. You have a president who's obsessed with tarnishing the reputation of a dead American war hero and a Republican party in power who think there's nothing wrong with him doing that. Perhaps my passing interest is more a fascination with the macabre, because it's so sad to see a nation I always liked and respected being laid so low by Trump and the GOP. Also, I'm not sure why you're even bothering to waste your time debating with me over Cortez, someone you consider to be a joke. Whatever happens, unless you elect Ivanka or Don Jr,  (that would be a sick joke) you can't possibly get any worse than what you have now.

37 minutes ago, Thadeus Jones said:

It's not that scary really considering I'm just a foreigner with a passing interest in US politics. What is scary is that a large number of your population can't tell when they're being conned by an administration who don't even feel their habitual lying has to be the slightest bit plausible. You have a president who's obsessed with tarnishing the reputation of a dead American war hero and a Republican party in power who think there's nothing wrong with him doing that. Perhaps my passing interest is more a fascination with the macabre, because it's so sad to see a nation I always liked and respected being laid so low by Trump and the GOP. Also, I'm not sure why you're even bothering to waste your time debating with me over Cortez, someone you consider to be a joke. Whatever happens, unless you elect Ivanka or Don Jr,  (that would be a sick joke) you can't possibly get any worse than what you have now.

Ah ok. It makes a little more sense now. Trump is interesting. I didn't vote for him, but despite his crass and rude nature and the off the wall things he says, his policies have our economy booming and he's doing things that have needed to be done since I was born. Prison reform, drug reform, right to try experimental medical procedures, securing the border, protections for musicians from awful record companies, he's done so much you've probably never even heard of. He may say embarrassing things, but he's a president this country has NEEDED for a long time.

Guest Boss Hogg
47 minutes ago, stang0909 said:

Ah ok. It makes a little more sense now. Trump is interesting. I didn't vote for him, but despite his crass and rude nature and the off the wall things he says, his policies have our economy booming and he's doing things that have needed to be done since I was born. Prison reform, drug reform, right to try experimental medical procedures, securing the border, protections for musicians from awful record companies, he's done so much you've probably never even heard of. He may say embarrassing things, but he's a president this country has NEEDED for a long time.

Agreed and I voted for Trump, plan do so again in 2020. He's done a lot for veterans and I am thankful for this administration's efforts to support our troops/veterans.

21 hours ago, stang0909 said:

his policies have our economy booming

He was fortunate enough to inherit an economy that was left in good shape by the Obama administration. From what I gather, come the 2020 election most Americans are likely to find out they're not financially better off for having had Trump as president, but that's not the case for the super rich of course. I'm sorry, but none of the things you've listed as positives comes remotely near compensating for the awful and cruel things Trump has done and said. The racism, the lies, his total disrespect for US intelligence agencies, his disrespect for veterans, his continuous attacks and attempts to stir up hatred against journalists, his inability to judge character (he's surrounded himself with criminals) his disrespect of women, his appalling attitude to climate breakdown and complete disbelief of scientific fact. The list goes depressingly I'm afraid. America deserves and needs much better than this dangerous man-child.

20 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

He's done a lot for veterans and I am thankful for this administration's efforts to support our troops/veterans.

I live around 15 miles from Upottery Airfield in Devon, England, where the 506th PIR 101st Airborne Division left to parachute into Normandy the night before D-Day. Last June I was fortunate enough to see the first C-47 since that night 74 years ago leave the airfield carrying parachutists kitted out in the same battledress and equipment as the US troops all those years ago. This year on the 75th anniversary of D-Day I'll be doing the same thing when up to five C-47's will carry parachutists over to France and drop them into Carentan. Come rain, shine or even bone spurs, it won't keep me and many others from paying our respects and showing our gratitude to those brave men. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-france-memorial/trump-cancels-ww1-memorial-at-u-s-cemetery-in-france-due-to-rain-idUSKCN1NF0NU?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews. Unlike Trump, we honour war heroes, not mock them and insult their families.

Guest Boss Hogg
1 minute ago, Thadeus Jones said:

I live around 15 miles from Upottery Airfield in Devon, England, where the 506th PIR 101st Airborne Division left to parachute into Normandy the night before D-Day. Last June I was fortunate enough to see the first C-47 since that night 74 years ago leave the airfield carrying parachutists kitted out in the same battledress and equipment as the US troops all those years ago. This year on the 75th anniversary of D-Day I'll be doing the same thing when up to five C-47's will carry parachutists over to France and drop them into Carentan. Come rain, shine or even bone spurs, it won't keep me and many others from paying our respects and showing our gratitude to those brave men. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-france-memorial/trump-cancels-ww1-memorial-at-u-s-cemetery-in-france-due-to-rain-idUSKCN1NF0NU?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews. Unlike Trump, we honour war heroes, not mock them and insult their families.

I would venture to say you never been in a war zone, like I have. And like I said, I voted for Trump and will do so again. You're opinion isn't the only one allowed to be had here.

4 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

I would venture to say you never been in a war zone, like I have

I know and have great respect for those who have, but I'm not sure how relevant that is when it comes to Trump.

6 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

You're opinion isn't the only one allowed to be had here.

I'm fully aware of how forums work, thanks.

7 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

And like I said, I voted for Trump and will do so again

If you don't mind me asking, what "qualities" of his do you find most appealing?

Guest Boss Hogg
3 hours ago, Thadeus Jones said:

I know and have great respect for those who have, but I'm not sure how relevant that is when it comes to Trump.

References to WWII in watching C-47s were made and believe Trump has done nothing but disrespect veterans and war heroes such as Sen. McCain. Since we mentioned a veteran who served in the Vietnam War, the relevancy here is I am as a service member who has done three tours Afghanistan '11, '13, and '16 my opinion has some validation to it to speak on the matter. Don't misconstrue that as approval for the comments he has made for since the campaign about John McCain. But to be fair, have to mention the improvements that there has been as well. 

Budget funding for the military has increased. Desperately needed. After the sequestration in Obama's years, personnel was near the lowest in my branch (USAF} since it became it's own branch out from under the Army Air Corps. Troop morale was terrible. Our equipment has been modernized immensely. Under this administration, the ISIS caliphate has crumbled and reports as of today the last of their stronghold has been liberated in just over 2 years in office. The Veteran's Choice program has allowed people like my Grandfather and Uncles to be seen in their communities instead of driving half way across the state to be seen by a provider and be on waiting lists for months up to a year. A brand new clinic was just opened up in my town last year. Any services that can't be offered at a local VA clinic, under the Veteran's choice act veterans are referred to providers in the community for services needed and VA still pays the bill. It wasn't like this 5+ years ago. 56% of veterans and current military members approve of the job he's doing. I'd love to see what 6 more years can bring for current military and veterans. That's what I care about the most when I go to the polls is a President who is going to care for military/vets.

I'm fully aware of how forums work, thanks.

Never mind that please, my fault I misread your post earlier. I'm more than happy to have a civil discussion here.

If you don't mind me asking, what "qualities" of his do you find most appealing?

Ask away but I'll refer you to his accomplishments so far in stang's post. I'm on board with an America First approach. Also applaud the summits with Kim Jong-un which no other administration would entertain talks with North Korea. Whether anything will become of it long term is TBD. Trump asked for the remains of our Korean War Vets to come home and that has been happening. Offering some sort of closure to their families. More jobs created in America, unemployment rate significantly lowered. I'm on board with his aggressive approach on trade reform. Re-written trade deals with Canada, Mexico and Korea. Still a lot of work to be done with China. I could go on, not here to change your mind. It's already made, up so is mine. As an American citizen, I feel safe with him as our leader.

21 hours ago, Guest Boss Hogg said:

I'm on board with an America First approach. Also applaud the summits with Kim Jong-un which no other administration would entertain talks with North Korea. Whether anything will become of it long term is TBD. Trump asked for the remains of our Korean War Vets to come home and that has been happening. Offering some sort of closure to their families. More jobs created in America, unemployment rate significantly lowered. I'm on board with his aggressive approach on trade reform. Re-written trade deals with Canada, Mexico and Korea. Still a lot of work to be done with China. I could go on, not here to change your mind. It's already made, up so is mine. As an American citizen, I feel safe with him as our leader.

Regarding the America first approach, I tend to think when Trump makes denigrating comments concerning long established allies, such as those in NATO, rather than strengthening the US position, or putting it first, he's actually weakening it. That kind of behaviour can only be good for Putin and co. The constant undermining and distrust of America's own intelligence services is deeply worrying and strange. That one agency felt compelled to investigated Trump to ascertain if he was either knowingly or unwittingly a spy or Russian asset is staggering - even Austin Powers knows he himself is a spy.

I think of all the things Trump has done and said, history will judge him most harshly on his complete refusal to accept or educate himself on the science behind climate change. The US military believe the science and view climate breakdown as the greatest of all threats to global peace and prosperity. It's a reckless man that gambles with the lives of future generations based on nothing more than a hunch.

I have enormous respect for you, it's a very brave thing to put your life on the line three times for your country. Maybe something you and I can agree on is that you have more courage in your little finger than the president has in his entire body. I'm not here to change your views either, but you, your country - the whole world, deserve far better than Trump and his administration. It's been enjoyable exchanging views with you in a civil way. All the best - except for Nov 2020! 

LMFAO

I don't even know why Curvage has an AOC forum in the first place, but while it does... only ~5% of the content in this thread is actually about AOC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • maybejames changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC)