>_< 0_0

The Thin College

483 posts / 164738 viewsLast Reply

3 minutes ago, Mr.Grignard said:

Couple things: firstly, my drawing was way off, but honestly I figured it would anyway, and I actually like what you’re doing for the “classic imp”design so far. Secondly, holy s#$t! Jane can fly now! Among other things, possibly. I’m not sure if it was intentional, or if it’s just me, but I felt like the tone shifted from scary to comical as soon as Jane transformed. Part of that is because it wasn’t explicitly stated if Jane changed in size, so I’m just imagining a tiny imp girl rag dolling a bunch of police officers. Especially that one part with Robbins and the door. 

Actually, it was meant to be slightly comical. Transforming into a demoness isn’t something that happens everyday, and Jane doesn’t think we’ll under pressure. The result: a Jack Sparrow sort of escape. “Imp” is hard to define; my mind instantly thinks of the Harry Potter ones from the old video game. Jane was already small, and the latest transformation hasn’t made her any bigger (yet), but the next chapter will include a mirror scene so we can get a better idea of what exactly she looks like.

7 hours ago, Mr.Grignard said:

I was picturing something like this, but red and with wings:

9127D4B7-1EE6-4118-BC0B-5EB2C85F1932.png

I was heavily inspired by drawings like these. Jane is just slightly shorter and has wings that hang like Batman’s cape when they’re not flexed — ok now I’m really tempted to draw her, but if I do, I’ll be really tempted to draw chubby college students too

image.thumb.jpeg.3b7b51d20e4c98aa9a50c4a58de285a5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a8d68ce89cbb417138a3b99882473dd8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8aaedf8e9843b86a7b468200845c5d93.jpeg

So, last night, after waking up at three AM from a spider encrusted fever dream, I found myself thinking about this story to calm my nerves, and I started thinking, about the island’s security system and how it works, since it’s been mentioned the island has “defenses” that keep out Genies like Sucky, and something about it doesn’t add up. First and foremost, the defenses repel “bad” spirits. That much is obvious. But this implies that good spirits are still allowed in, possibly, and it also only seems to work if certain people are allowed to pass through it. I doesn’t seem like Sucky got to the school before Jason did, based off the way the staff talk about her, how long Jason was at the school before the magical hijinx started, and the fact that Sucky refers to herself as Jane/Jason's shadow. This suggests that the weird barrier protecting the campus and the artifacts can be side stepped by bad spirits if they have someone to smuggle them in. But only a specific type of person can be used as a conduit, hence why this school is obsessed with keeping the students and the school “pure”. They're trying to stop hostile entities like Sucky from getting back inside, while letting in beneficial spirits attached to good little Christian girls obsessed with staying thin like Brook, Brenda, and Emily ( yes, those first two are sarcastic). They’re only interested in a specific kind of student to consolidate their control over the relics, but they still have to keep up appearances and pretend to be a public school to keep their facilities running despite their inherently small pool of applicants. So they let some boyish, nerdy, Christian, nobody from the sticks who was intelligent enough to justify his initial attendance but would be relatively easy enough to bully off campus and replace, when they don’t need him anymore, all so they could use government funding to pay for an athletic program he can’t participate in. Wow, it sounds really harsh when I put it like that. Anyway, that’s the real reason the guardians can only pull resources from their pool of former alumni, why they immediately singled out Jason as the source of the leak, and why he was the only male student on campus in the first place. If they actually start letting people (men and “unworthy” women) into the school Willy nilly, I think incidents like the ones Sucky and Jane are causing would be a lot more common. 

16 hours ago, Mr.Grignard said:

Hey... I know this is a dumb question but... is Emily an angry drinker? Asking for a friend.

Nah, I’m not spoiling anything by saying she isn’t. Emily isn’t an angry person. Since it’s not that important to the plot, I’ll break it down: she was watching over a ** friend at a party who had too much to drink, so she helped her home while managing to peel the bottle from her hands. She held onto it for days, unsure how to get rid of it without getting in trouble, so she opted to sip it slowly. The taste was strong but interesting, so she wouldn’t mind drinking for it’s own sake.

Oh! How intriguing. I might be remembering this wrong, but I think she already mentioned something along those lines to the prefects when they “confiscated it”. I mean, not that I pegged Emily for a liar or anything. Still, interesting bit of back story.