Are fit and fat mutually exclusive?

Avataг

Guest Ivysaur
59 minutes ago, Avatar4711 said:

The problem is that people don't get that fat does not exclude fit. You can be fat and fit the same time. I would highly recommend to keep on training while gaining weight. Sports will keep you alive, while laying on the couch and not moving your body will kill you sooner or later.

No, you absolutely cannot be both fat and fit. Regardless of how attractive you find fat and weight gain, being fat is unhealthy period. 

Guest sdd619

I have been on this site for a few years now & I have to say that she has always gone to the gym & worked out. Now in saying that she has gain a shit load of weight in that time. Its clear that she drinks a lot & that will add up no matter how much she works out. I know plenty of lady friends who have the same issue & will tell you that the alcohol & the cheat days are what do it.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ivysaur said:

No, you absolutely cannot be both fat and fit. Regardless of how attractive you find fat and weight gain, being fat is unhealthy period. 

This is about Lucy, so I wont start a principled discussion. I know that my statement being true depends on what "fat" means. The lines are blurry regarding this topic and it may be hard to find an obese couch potato who is declared absolutely healthy, but I don't see why a person who is moderate overweight can't be healthy and fit. I mean, refering to shear BMI, nearly every powerlifter or strongman is obese.

Take a look at this fine lady, for example:

21d3a8059d681e2f7720cd370d37b58c--michel

She has a BMI of 38, so she's clearly obese. While one can see that a fair amount of her weight comes from her muscles, her body is covered in a nice layer of fat. But I wouldn't dare to call a Olympic women's champion being not fit and you shouldn't, too. Beware of these damn absolutisms. All I wanted to say is, that being fat(ter than the average person) doesn't mean you can't be fit. I prefer women that way, a trained fatty is what I want. So don't tell me they don't exist. :P

Guest I don't fucking care about
3 hours ago, Avatar4711 said:

She has a BMI of 38, so she's clearly obese.

BMI is obviously not applicable to all. A much better measurement of someone's fat is to, well, measure their fat. The percentage of a person's body weight that is fat tells you A LOT more about that individual's health than BMI.

Now to your example. You found someone who is not near the middle of the bell curve. She has a shitton of muscle. But, on average, BMI is a good starting point, because people are averagely average. Simple stats.

19 hours ago, Ivysaur said:

This is wrong. Fitness is fundamentally a measure of the body's ability to transport and use oxygen. Fat people aren't excluded from having high fitness levels. 

51 minutes ago, AlphaAlpha said:

This is wrong. Fitness is fundamentally a measure of the body's ability to transport and use oxygen. Fat people aren't excluded from having high fitness levels. 

I think he was talking about the colloquial definition of "fit" meaning "in shape" and healthy. If you are carrying enough excess fat to be considered obese you are certainly not "fit". Obesity leads to high blood pressure making an individual more susceptible to things like heart disease and strokes. Fat people are also at higher risk of kidney disease, type 2 diabetes, arthritis and certain types of cancer. 

Not trying to be a buzz kill here 

22 hours ago, taco434343 said:

I think he was talking about the colloquial definition of "fit" meaning "in shape" and healthy. If you are carrying enough excess fat to be considered obese you are certainly not "fit". Obesity leads to high blood pressure making an individual more susceptible to things like heart disease and strokes. Fat people are also at higher risk of kidney disease, type 2 diabetes, arthritis and certain types of cancer. 

Not trying to be a buzz kill here 

A colloquial version is just an imprecise way of describing the features that relate to the actual definition, or it's meaningless. People are healthy if they are healthy, and they are not if they are not. Their risk of being unhealthy in the future does not change this. 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Avataг said:

Fit and fat are not mutually exclusive!

Yeah they are. I mean I like big girls as much as the next guy here, but I’m not going to kid myself and say they’re healthy. 

• Moderators

I knew we had that discussion before...

try me we meet again GIF by PlayStation

I still believe that one carrying more fat than average or having an above average BMI is not necessarily to be considered unfit. Apart from my arguments above: There's even multiple studies that show that the mildly obese have a lower chance of getting certain illnesses. We had a thread here if I remember correctly.

This is also interesting:

https://bmcobes.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40608-018-0183-7

“You really have to disconnect the body weight from the importance of fitness,” says Kuk in a statement. “You can get fit without losing weight and have health benefits.”

Guest Kika0119

Little fact about BMI: while BMI doesn't take into account muscle weight, don't think people that are completely ripped and have a very low body fat % are completely fine. Someone that weighs 250+ pounds and is all muscle, still has very serious health risks for being that big, even if it's muscle. That's why, for health reasons, it's recommended to not get that big even if you're building all muscle. But there are so many layers to health and fitness that you can't just look at it as just: you're fat = unhealthy, you're built = healthy. Being fit is a combination of fat/muscle, the things you do with your body, the things you put in your body, and genetics. 

Guest Vladimir Putin

For starters, the bigger your muscle mass, the more oxygen you need. That's why those huge bodybuilders on gear are always short of breath.

Unless someone can link a study that shows that there are health risks associated directly from subcutaneous fat, I'm gonna call bullshit on fit and fat being mutually exclusive.

Visceral fat is primarily lost from exercise so, in theory, an incredibly active morbidly obese person could have no metabolic or coronary diseases at all. I.E. sumo wrestlers

However, I think its safe to say the grand majority of obese individuals do not fall under this category.

Anecdotal, but if you take someone fat with very little visceral fat like momokun, I swear she doesn't give off a vibe of being unhealthy at all.

moju.PNG

I've only ran one 5K, with my wife. And I was utterly shocked at the amount of heavy folks that were blowing past me and kept running when I had to walk. I'm not a big runner, but I am fit and 10% BF. So this was insane to see these husky old women and guys with beer bellies leaving me in the dust.

I brought it up to a coworker who is a big runner and he says it's very common. Some people just love running and often do so so they can overeat and enjoy 5K calories a day and still come in around 200lbs – while that same calorie intake could have most people at well over 350lbs and beyond with no activity.

i think the first part is to define fit and fat... there is a delicate balance of course but if you think about extreme situations i would say that yes those are mutually exclusive terms. think of a short lady, let's say, 5'1, weighing over 450 pounds i can assure you that she will not be able to run a full marathon, that is just not going to happen, but of course there is one very nice middle when there is some junk  and she could have a pretty fit lifestyle... 

20 pounds or such is one thing. But being 300, 400, 500 pounds like some in the SSBBW community is basically like smoking 5 packs of cigarettes a day. The models say to themselves "I'll lose weight if my life is in danger" or what-have-you but they don't see the tremendous strain that amount of extra weight on a human body puts on the heart, lungs, organs and nervous systems. Whenever I see a gaining BBW drink 2 litres of soda it just makes me feel terrible for their kidneys, pancreas and other organs; it's kind of like dumping orange juice in your gas tank, only the effects happen over time instead of instantly, and your organs can't cry for help, all they can do is just try to process the sheer amounts of calories some of the ladies get. 

But it never turns out well. Looks cute but never turns out well, and then after 35 all the problems start, by 40 they are compounded and by 45 and beyond it's meds meds meds or insulin or hip or knee replacement and the list goes on. Some say "You can't live forever!" but they don't see that one doesn't simply drop dead, it's a long, painful road to try and recover from any number of problems caused by carrying enormous amounts of extra body fat, as cute as it is. 

25 minutes ago, sursurs said:

Don't forget "skinny-fat". These girls aren't "fat" according to BMI but they aren't "fit" by any means.

Most grossly obese folks are actually malnourished due to their diet and have very little muscle – this is often shocking to most men once they lose all their weight. Their frames are generally emaciated from no activity and poor diet.

Guest sursurs

Anyway, what I'm saying that you shouldn't be extremely overweight to be out of shape.

As an example, my girlfriend is 5'3" and about 140-145 lbs. So according to BMI she isn't even really that overweight. But she hasn't been reguraly involved in any kind of athletic activity for some time. She's deffinitely out of shape.

We live at 9th floor. She always uses an elevator to get there. But once the elevator was broken and she had to take steps. I followed her up the stairs that time. It was a hot summer day and she was wearing nothing on her lower half but extremely short booty shorts. I gazed to her not huge but cellulite-clad and jiggling soft ass and thighs as she struggled topush her body up the stairs with great exertion. When she finaly reached the top she was COMPLETELY out of breath.

“Wow, (pant) I really need (pant) to stop (pant) smoking (pant) and (pant) start (pant) exercising more (pant) (pant) (pant),” she said as she struggled to breathe.

And this is only at 145-150 pounds. And she's in her early twenties.

• 1 month later...
Guest Vladimir Putin
On 10/5/2018 at 4:19 PM, sursurs said:

Don't forget "skinny-fat". These girls aren't "fat" according to BMI but they aren't "fit" by any means.

Oh yeah. Mi girl is skinny fat. Her best friend is not fat but she's the kind of girl who carries her weight on her lower body; she has a wide ass and sturdy legs. I wouldn't say she's superfit but she does a fair amount of cardio between running and gym classes, and she runs 10K's. She finally convinced my gf to run a women's 10K with her. My gf hates running so she didn't train properly. She always had an excuse not to go out running. Still I think her sis science told her that since she was thinner than her friend she wouldn't have a problem keeping up with her.

Come race day they started together but soon my girl found she couldn't keep up and told her friend to go on without her. I'm standing near the finish line and I finally see her friend coming. She arrived with the mass of the average runners with an average time but she looked quite comfortable. I caught up with her and her boyfriend and I asked her about my gf. She told me that she left her behind quite early on and never saw her again. I kept my eyes peeled but I couldn't see her. By this time lots of fatties and old ladies started arriving and I began to wonder if I'd missed her. About fifteen minutes later I saw this red-faced redhead with her face totally disheveled and, not without some embarrassment, I realized it was her. She was shuffling her feet and sweating profusely, and her cheeks were visibly jiggling. After she crossed the line she had to bend over with her hands on her thighs and she was so out of breath she couldn't even speak. She was panting loudly. She later told me she'd never suffered so much physically in her life. Her legs were sore for days after the race. She never ran another race again.

There is a big correlation between excess fat and lack of fitness. I used to run quite a lot of Park Runs (in UK, 5k races in local parks) and the only time I got to see any of the cute fat girls was when I was lapping them. I'd say 10-15 percent of runners used to beat me, almost none of them were fat or chubby.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 11:26 PM, Vladimir Putin said:

Oh yeah. Mi girl is skinny fat. Her best friend is not fat but she's the kind of girl who carries her weight on her lower body; she has a wide ass and sturdy legs. I wouldn't say she's superfit but she does a fair amount of cardio between running and gym classes, and she runs 10K's. She finally convinced my gf to run a women's 10K with her. My gf hates running so she didn't train properly. She always had an excuse not to go out running. Still I think her sis science told her that since she was thinner than her friend she wouldn't have a problem keeping up with her.

Come race day they started together but soon my girl found she couldn't keep up and told her friend to go on without her. I'm standing near the finish line and I finally see her friend coming. She arrived with the mass of the average runners with an average time but she looked quite comfortable. I caught up with her and her boyfriend and I asked her about my gf. She told me that she left her behind quite early on and never saw her again. I kept my eyes peeled but I couldn't see her. By this time lots of fatties and old ladies started arriving and I began to wonder if I'd missed her. About fifteen minutes later I saw this red-faced redhead with her face totally disheveled and, not without some embarrassment, I realized it was her. She was shuffling her feet and sweating profusely, and her cheeks were visibly jiggling. After she crossed the line she had to bend over with her hands on her thighs and she was so out of breath she couldn't even speak. She was panting loudly. She later told me she'd never suffered so much physically in her life. Her legs were sore for days after the race. She never ran another race again.

You just described my gf after running 2K. She did it last weekend. Most of the runners were kids, and she thought that the run will be really easy. But kids were running fast as hell, and she did her best to catch up with them. As the result she still came at the end, tired out, totally out of breath. All the same what you described with her hands on the thighs, panting loudly, not being able to speak for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Grumbar11

This discussion is great, but kinda pointless without more scientific analysis. There are plentiful papers, journals, research articles, and peer reviewed documents which provide insight into these things. Why not make a meta-analysis of all of the information out there and figure out the trends? Otherwise it is just a bunch of people arguing their opinions. There has been one citation this entire argument. Why not start backing up your words with research that others can look at? Then we can at least understand where your opinion comes from.