Are crop tops now mainstream fashion for chubby girls?

PhatCat

Walking the streets today for a short time I saw quite a few girls who would be described as properly chubby (more than a starter belly) to moderately fat (around the obese threshold) wearing shirts that exposed their bellies, and they were all wearing mid-rise shorts that showed off their belly buttons. I'm used to seeing fat girls in crop tops with high-rise shorter that hold in their belly, but today I saw many deep belly buttons on display. The shorts were mostly high enough to hold in any belly hang, but would come up to a few inches below the belly button. They were putting a lot of squish on display. Usually it's just chubby teenage girls I see wearing this trend because they want to fit in with their skinny friends, but these were girls in their 20s baring their fat bellies. Is the stigma about chubby girls showing off their fat going away? Is body positivity now the leading fashion, with the girl brave enough to show off the most fat the winner? Or do chubby girls just now want to be more comfortable in the heat? After all, they overheat much more easily.

I don't know the answer but I like women in crop tops especially when they are already overweight! Also girls in vest tops especially without a bra so you can see their nipples trying to pierce the surface.  what I loved seeing a few days ago on holiday was an older teenage girl about 17-18 walking with her younger brother down a hotel coridoor  from the family room they shared with mum and dad. Brother was about 14-15. The sister clearly had quite a big nipple piercing on her left boob, rectangular in shape with two studs. ! I was in awe of her ! So hot, unfortunately I only saw this the once.

I can remember when I was a teen (some 15 years ago) that chubby and moderately fat girls my age would often wear short tops with low-rise jeans or shorts and wouldn't dare go to the beach in anything other string bikinis. These girls were in two camps. Half didn't know they were fat and were so happily ignorant. The other half knew it and hated wearing these clothes that showed off their fat bellies, but they really wanted to dress to fit in with the skinny popular girls. But at that time fat girls beyond teenage years didn't so commonly show off their fat because the first group finally realised they were fat and the second group didn't feel so much social pressure any more. Now I'm seeing fat girls in their 20s show off their fat proudly. They know they have a big soft belly and they are proud to show it off. Such a different change in attitude.

Guest Vladimir Putin

What I do see a lot is moderately chubby teenage girls wearing crop tops with high-waisted skinny jeans/mommy jeans, but not shorts with full belly on display. Tell me where you live, because I'm moving there.

• 1 month later...

I was just at an fair this weekend in the hip part of town, and there were a lot of bellies on display. It's was quite cold too, so they weren't dressing for the heat this time. I think these girls wanted to let everyone know who had the flabbiest belly. Of all the stomachs I saw out, only one was toned, and this girl was wearing leggings with only a bra on top. But there were so many girls ranging from pudgy to obese and were all in crop tops with mid to high waisted jeans. One stand at the fair was run by someone in a tight crop-top, no bra and jeans that came up to just under her belly button. Her belly was like a pillow halfway through it's life: puffed out but a bit deflated, a bit uneven, but you can really sink into it. She looked like she was in her mid 30s, so she should be aware that she's not in good shape. I think she was trying to make a statement by showing that anyone can look beautiful whatever they want. But I could tell that she wasn't convincing herself of that because she was constantly pulling up her jeans to cover her black hole of a belly button. If she really was confident in her clothes she would let her belly spill over her jeans.

I've noticed it too. I think it's the fashion of high wasted jeans that's helping convince chubby girls that crop tops are acceptable. Probably because the jeans are covering the lower belly, which is generally what girls are most concerned about.

I like it! It's the only thing I like about high wasted jeans.

2 hours ago, me_uk_2k1 said:

I've noticed it too. I think it's the fashion of high wasted jeans that's helping convince chubby girls that crop tops are acceptable. Probably because the jeans are covering the lower belly, which is generally what girls are most concerned about.

I like it! It's the only thing I like about high wasted jeans.

I agree. But lately I have been seeing the jeans coming down to expose the belly button. It started with the highest mom jeans they could get, but now they realise they can make it sexier by showing a little belly button. Here's hoping the ultra-low-rise jeans trend from 15-20 years ago comes back. Back then a girl wasn't cool unless she showed off the lower curve/hang of her belly. Only the skinny girls would complain about how their stomach wasn't flat enough for that look, and the chubby girls were like, "hey, I look really sexy showing off my stomach. It's totally flat and toned. That's just my giant ab sticking out." Now it's going in the direction of "I'm fatter and prouder of it than you are!" The fat girls wear crop tops because they have something to prove. Skinny girls are staying covered up because they have nothing to prove.

Yeah.... I have to say, I have seen a lot more of at least younger girls wearing crop tops. But I don't care at all for the high waisted jeans or pants. If those give someone the confidence to wear the halter top, then I guess that's a good thing. But the way I see it, you're not really hiding the fact you have a belly if you pull your clothes up over it. You just make it uninteresting to look at for all the guys who would otherwise like to see it on display.

I think most guys prefer to see the belly button. And like a few of my ex-g/f's used to do if they had a little more belly pooch than they really wanted to show off? They'd wear a pair of cut-offs that was just a couple of inches too small around the waist and leave the top button open. That way, the whole belly is still on display, but the top of the jeans kind of sit open, right underneath it, like the leaves right under a flower. It's tight enough so it stays up without needing the top to fasten. Super sexy look.

Guest devinroxyo

Yes.  I wish they wouldn't hide their lower belly & belly button while wearing a crop top.  Do an image search for "chubby girl crop top", there's a few pics of girls who show their belly button, but the lower belly is covered up.  I've seen chubby girls wearing crop tops in public where you see their lower belly, but you can't see their belly button.  I've seen very few chubby girls wearing a crop top and exposing all of their belly in public.  It is extremely rare, but I've amazingly seen it.

23 hours ago, gggg said:

If my fiancée is anything to go by, they often start wearing crop tops when they're thin in high school, then as the pounds pile on in college, the thought never occurs to them that they should stop.

She knows what looks good on her! Have you told her that she has a bit of a belly?

8 hours ago, PhatCat said:

She knows what looks good on her! Have you told her that she has a bit of a belly?

I don't generally bring it up... I want her to keep on eating the way she's eating without worrying too much about the consequences haha.  But her friends are definitely noticing... let's just say, when they all hang out together wearing crop tops, she stands out a bit now.

Guest Vladimir Putin
On 10/16/2018 at 11:06 PM, devinroxyo said:

Yes.  I wish they wouldn't hide their lower belly & belly button while wearing a crop top.  Do an image search for "chubby girl crop top", there's a few pics of girls who show their belly button, but the lower belly is covered up.  I've seen chubby girls wearing crop tops in public where you see their lower belly, but you can't see their belly button.  I've seen very few chubby girls wearing a crop top and exposing all of their belly in public.  It is extremely rare, but I've amazingly seen it.

The best era for that was the early 2000's. Crop tops plus hip jeans equaled lots of belly and love handles on display, and ass cracks too. The obesity epidemics was already in full flow, so it was jiggle paradise.