Sometimes the baby weight stays

oatmeal

On 10/2/2018 at 2:53 PM, oatmeal said:

Yeah....  That's a pet peeve of mine. It's far more the rule than the exception that doctors will advise everyone to lose some weight, as a suggestion to help cure just about anything you can possibly tell them is ailing you. Dry skin? Yeah... losing 20lbs. might help.  :(

I used to have a female friend, Di, who had an older brother who was really into the amateur wrestling circuit. She occasionally volunteered to be one of the "ring girls" for their shows. She had a great looking body (hourglass figure with a really big chest) but big, thick legs and a little bit of a belly pooch (sort of a "starter belly" really -- but just enough to give her a deeper belly button and accentuated her body shape overall). Her legs were mostly muscle though. Her brother weighed 300lbs. and she could pick the guy up and body-slam him or put him across her shoulders and do squats with him. So the fact she was about 5'4" and weighed 195lbs. or so? That might have made her overweight by the doctor's definition -- but she was in great physical condition. Plus, most people would agree she looked way more attractive with the thick, curvy body, as-is.

But yeah.... her doctor told her, "You're carrying too much weight in your legs." during a physical! He actually wanted her to lose all that muscle.  

So good news bad news. My wife was having chest pains so she went to a clinic for a check up. The Good news is she is totally fine and weighing in at 194 lbs. Good to get a real measurement.

Bad, the doctor told her her weight was an issue and she needed to lose some weight. The paper she brought home was full of weight loss advice and links to diets. Even worse, she didnt tell me about what the doctor said. I kept asking her questions about how the appointment went, i was worried as heart disease is the number one killer of women, and she just told me about all the tests. I had to find out about what the doctor said about her weight through the paper report.

She wants to start going to zumba twice a week to lose some weight. I told her she looks great but to check out a class and see if she likes it.

Anyone have thoughts or advice about this. I mean i hate to go against doctors orders, this is her health afterall, but her BMI is only 32.2. They ran several tests and she is in excellent health otherwise. Kind of seems like a case of doctor fat shameing but i wasnt there so who knows.