Diet culture may be more unhealthy than being overweight (I renamed this thread from "Is being obese healthy?", a title I didn't choose)

litmus

From the Katie Cummings thread:

It would be interesting to know what she would think about these image/morphs.  She must know that most of the fans she has now, prefer her the way she looks, now.  At the same time it is like she doesn't want anyone to say anything about it. Anyone who tries to give her a compliment gets verbally slapped down or ignored.  She knows she is beautiful and desirable to many men just the way she is, but she can't seem to let go of her body image from years ago.  A good dose of "body positivity" and some self acceptance would really go a long way.

Guest I don't fucking care about
4 hours ago, litmus said:

It would be interesting to know what she would think about these image/morphs.  She must know that most of the fans she has now, prefer her the way she looks, now.  At the same time it is like she doesn't want anyone to say anything about it. Anyone who tries to give her a compliment gets verbally slapped down or ignored.  She knows she is beautiful and desirable to many men just the way she is, but she can't seem to let go of her body image from years ago.  A good dose of "body positivity" and some self acceptance would really go a long way.

She has gained a significant amount of fat.

Personally, I have been obese (32 BMI, yes BMI, it works really well for everyone except bodybuilders) and I have been healthy (21.5 BMI). I can say with 100% certainty that being overweight and especially being obese makes one feel like absolute dogshit compared to when they were healthy. I went from giant fatass to someone who gave a fuck about their body and I felt better with every single pound I lost. It's why I promised myself to never get fat again. Kept it, because it's fucking worth it. Being fat sucks. Hurts your cognitive abilities and makes your entire body feel like it is 20 years older. Fuck being fat. Don't blame her at all for not wanting to highlight that nor give herself any excuses to not buckle down and lose the fucking weight. She probably feels like shit being fat, as stated earlier, it fucks with your body and mind in hardcore ways. Not knocking anyone who wants to be fat, thank god for them because I can wank with little guilt, but those who are fat and don't wanna be, I can't wank to them, no matter how hot they are, because that shit makes me feel bad, because they are sad. Fuck being fat.

1 hour ago, whatareyoudoing said:

Personally, I have been obese (32 BMI, yes BMI, it works really well for everyone except bodybuilders) and I have been healthy (21.5 BMI). I can say with 100% certainty that being overweight and especially being obese makes one feel like absolute dogshit compared to when they were healthy. I went from giant fatass to someone who gave a fuck about their body and I felt better with every single pound I lost. It's why I promised myself to never get fat again. Kept it, because it's fucking worth it. Being fat sucks. Hurts your cognitive abilities and makes your entire body feel like it is 20 years older. Fuck being fat. Don't blame her at all for not wanting to highlight that nor give herself any excuses to not buckle down and lose the fucking weight. She probably feels like shit being fat, as stated earlier, it fucks with your body and mind in hardcore ways. Not knocking anyone who wants to be fat, thank god for them because I can wank with little guilt, but those who are fat and don't wanna be, I can't wank to them, no matter how hot they are, because that shit makes me feel bad, because they are sad. Fuck being fat.

Can we just admire and/or masturbate in a body-positive friendly peace without have to read this everytime a newbie is pointing out around?

Image associée

3 hours ago, whatareyoudoing said:

So interesting tale you tell about being fat, and then losing weight, but still getting off to fat girls.  I'm not saying your story is fabricated, because I don't know you, but statistically speaking, your story is highly improbable.  

Somewhere between 96-98% of all dieters gain back any weight that they loose in less than 3 years.  Millions of years of evolution in environments where starvation was a greater survival risk than obesity has given us bodies that are very good at storing excess weight and which make it extremely hard to lose weight. 

It is true that morbid obesity, poor food choices, and a sedentary lifestyle aren't good for one's health.  There is also a substantial amount of evidence that being moderately overweight or even obese, if combined with a reasonable diet and regular exercise, isn't all that bad for you.  Those who do not have other comorbidities, like uncontrolled high blood pressure and blood sugar levels, actually have life expectancy that is no different than those who are "normal weight".

There is also a ton of evidence that being overweight is far less damaging to long term health and mental health than repeated cycles of yo-yo dieting.  The diet and fashion industries push diets and fat shaming.  They are a scurge that lead millions of young women into eating disorders that are far more dangerous than being overweight.  Anorexia and bulimia are the most dangerous and life threatening forms of mental disorder, more so than schizophrenia or depression. If you are genuinely interested in educating yourself about the truth, rather than just restating a bunch of fat shaming stereotypes, I suggest reading "Health at Every Size" by Linda Bacon or "Intuitive Eating" by Trumble.

Again, I don't know you or your story.  I do find it interesting that you would think the way you do and still get off on fapping to fat girls.  I find it interesting that your profile is private so we can't see your comment history.  I suspect you are just another guy who gets off on "concern trolling" and fat shaming.  Willing to have a thoughtful discussion, but not willing to buy your story without some evidence to back it up, and definitely not buying a bunch of overly simplistic, fat shaming nonsense.

1 hour ago, litmus said:

So interesting tale you tell about being fat, and then losing weight, but still getting off to fat girls.  I'm not saying your story is fabricated, because I don't know you, but statistically speaking, your story is highly improbable.  

Somewhere between 96-98% of all dieters gain back any weight that they loose in less than 3 years.  Millions of years of evolution in environments where starvation was a greater survival risk than obesity has given us bodies that are very good at storing excess weight and which make it extremely hard to lose weight. 

It is true that morbid obesity, poor food choices, and a sedentary lifestyle aren't good for one's health.  There is also a substantial amount of evidence that being moderately overweight or even obese, if combined with a reasonable diet and regular exercise, isn't all that bad for you.  Those who do not have other comorbidities, like uncontrolled high blood pressure and blood sugar levels, actually have life expectancy that is no different than those who are "normal weight".

There is also a ton of evidence that being overweight is far less damaging to long term health and mental health than repeated cycles of yo-yo dieting.  The diet and fashion industries push diets and fat shaming.  They are a scurge that lead millions of young women into eating disorders that are far more dangerous than being overweight.  Anorexia and bulimia are the most dangerous and life threatening forms of mental disorder, more so than schizophrenia or depression. If you are genuinely interested in educating yourself about the truth, rather than just restating a bunch of fat shaming stereotypes, I suggest reading "Health at Every Size" by Linda Bacon or "Intuitive Eating" by Trumble.

Again, I don't know you or your story.  I do find it interesting that you would think the way you do and still get off on fapping to fat girls.  I find it interesting that your profile is private so we can't see your comment history.  I suspect you are just another guy who gets off on "concern trolling" and fat shaming.  Willing to have a thoughtful discussion, but not willing to buy your story without some evidence to back it up, and definitely not buying a bunch of overly simplistic, fat shaming nonsense.

you can fap on fat girls , that's our fetish and there's no problem with that but don't say that's not that bad for health to be fat , that's nonsense or if being "moderately obese" means having 15 -20kg of fat and not more , cause being fat destroys the skeletton and the organs. I don't blame you , just telling the truth to those who still doubt

16 hours ago, babor123456789 said:

you can fap on fat girls , that's our fetish and there's no problem with that but don't say that's not that bad for health to be fat , that's nonsense or if being "moderately obese" means having 15 -20kg of fat and not more , cause being fat destroys the skeletton and the organs. I don't blame you , just telling the truth to those who still doubt

Post evidence and stay in the line of the discussing. Not hearsays nor elusive telling. 

Guest I don't fucking care about
20 hours ago, litmus said:

No, you don't know me, nor will you ever. Revealing myself on here in any form is a danger to my position in society.

Yes, I have a strong mental hangup about being attracted to fat as fuck women while also being aware of current scientific fact. I've been fixated on venus-of-Willendorf-figurine like body types for as long as I have had a memory. I like orgasming easily, so I set aside my better judgement while I beat my meat. It's a task, but it isn't the hardes I've had to try to achieve orgasm: I've made myself cum to the visualization of a high velocity drop of liquid impacting a large body of the same liquid. Still haven't cum with a chick IRL without imagining her becoming larger, but whatever, I don't care more than this. Go forth and make people unhealthy and likely unhappy with their bodies if that's what gets you off, psuedo-science and all helping you feel better about what you've done. I'll be here to jizz to the end results while avoiding actively contributing to such things. Helps me sleep at night. Hope this passes your litmus test or whatever you need. Peace.

19 hours ago, babor123456789 said:

I am not going to spend a huge amount of time trying to restate the scientific evidence that is so persuasively presented in the two books I already referenced.  Let me just say that being sedentary is what makes folks really unhealthy.  Moderately overweight people who get regular cardiovascular excercise and who eat a reasonably nutritious diet are generally in good health. 

The popular image that overweight people are at death's doorstop is not supported by the evidence.  We have confused aesthetics with health.  By fat shaming people, we have constructed a society of yo-yo dieters.  It meets the profit needs of the diet industry, the fast food industry, and the clothing industry, but it is really bad on people's bodies and on their mental health. 

Extreme calorie restriction is what leads nearly 10% of women in the US to struggle with eating disorders.  EDs are far more dangerous than being moderately overweight.  

54 minutes ago, whatareyoudoing said:

No, you don't know me, nor will you ever. Revealing myself on here in any form is a danger to my position in society.

Yes, I have a strong mental hangup about being attracted to fat as fuck women while also being aware of current scientific fact. I've been fixated on venus-of-Willendorf-figurine like body types for as long as I have had a memory. I like orgasming easily, so I set aside my better judgement while I beat my meat. It's a task, but it isn't the hardes I've had to try to achieve orgasm: I've made myself cum to the visualization of a high velocity drop of liquid impacting a large body of the same liquid. Still haven't cum with a chick IRL without imagining her becoming larger, but whatever, I don't care more than this. Go forth and make people unhealthy and likely unhappy with their bodies if that's what gets you off, psuedo-science and all helping you feel better about what you've done. I'll be here to jizz to the end results while avoiding actively contributing to such things. Helps me sleep at night. Hope this passes your litmus test or whatever you need. Peace.

What makes people unhappy is the tremendous dissatisfaction they feel with their bodies because they do not meet our very narrow standard of beauty.  This dissatisfaction leads to yo-yo dieting by pre-teens and adolescents.  It leads to depression and self harming.  It leads about 10%  of young women into what is often a lifetime of struggle with eating disorders.

The irony is that dieting makes people fatter in the long run.  It puts people into "starvation" mode that messes with their metabolism and the hormones that regulate their appetite.  There is a ton of evidence that suggests our bodies have a weight  setpoint.  Unless weight is lost very slowly and primarily through increased activity, the body fights back against weight loss.

My main point isn't that being fat is healthy.  My point is that fat shaming and dieting are not healthy.  They end up making things worse. 

We evolved in environments were hunger and starvation were omnipresent dangers.  We now live in an environment where food and calories are abundant.  It isn't surprising that a high percentage of the population has become overweight.

I'm not overweight, and I never have been.  I eat moderately and intuitively, meaning that I listen to my bodies hunger signals.  I eat when I am hungry and I stop when I am full. I excercise regularly. But mostly I have been blessed with genes that have made it fairly easy for me to stay at a "normal" weight. 

On the other hand, I know many women who are in a constant struggle with their weight.  The have dieted for so long and restricted calories so much that they have interfered with their bodies appetite regulation system. 

I have a close friend who is a beautiful, thick, curvaceous woman who comes from a large family were every member, except her, is extremely obese. She has struggled with her weight since puberty.  She was so determined not to be fat, and dieted so hard, she pushed herself into bulimia.  She barely eats 1400 calories a day and she does CrossFit training several days a week.  She is 5'2" and weighs about 195.  Her BMI says she is obese, but she has won statewide CrossFit competitions and is a black belt in Kung Fu.  She is incredibly strong.  So preaching BMI and saying everyone who is obese is unwealthy is bullshit.  She is far healthier in recovery, eating healthy, exercising, than when she was puking her guts out at 150.

Let me share a little more about my friend.  You are right that she is unusually muscular for a woman.  But it isn't just a matter of muscularity.  She is far from lean.  I'm sure her body fat percentage is quite high, higher than most BMI proponents would find "acceptable".  

My point is that trying to be "thin and healthy" made her very sick.  She is much healthier now that she restricts less and has gained nearly 50 pounds during three years of recovery.  

Hers is not an unusual case.  There are many people who are not genetically predisposed to be thin.  If we fat shame all these people into trying to force their bodies to be thin, these folks often end up fatter and more unhappy than if we just let them be.  

7 hours ago, I don't fucking care about said:

You cited hacks that know how to make money off of the obese by feeding them sweet, sweet lies. They found a way to scale their business. Good for them.

I called you thick because you purposefully ignored my disclaimer re: bmi. Either you're thick or you didn't respect what I wrote. No matter, I'm not going to engage you any further. Have a life.

Have you actually read either book?  You dismiss them as "hacks" without providing any argument or evidence.  Linda Bacon has three Masters degrees in Nutrition, Biology, and Psychology. I'm not saying that there aren't different points of view, but you can't just dismiss the extensive scientific evidence presented in these books with a wave of your hand.

I didn't purposely ignore anything you said.  I thought my friends personal experience helped illustrate some the points I was trying to make.  I acknowledged that you did qualify your comment about BMI.  But BMI as a measure of fitness or health is deeply flawed. My friend was extremely unhealthy when she weighed #150 and was struggling with bulimia.  She is far more healthy at #195, restricting less, and training more.  The same is true for many people who are better off getting off fad diets and relearning to listen to there body's hunger and satiation signals, even if they gain some weight.

I have tried to engage you in thoughtful exchange of ideas, that is how we all learn and grow.  So far you have responded with closed mindedness, personal attacks, and almost no substantive  response to any of the arguments I've made.  

It seems to me that this "discussion", if you can call it that, is a perfect illustration of how our politics has gotten so screwed up.  Everyone has a right to there own opinion, but they are not entitled to there own set of facts.  Facts matter. Reasonable people with different points of view should be able to talk about important subjects with civility and mutual respect. But instead, clinging to our pre-existing opinions seems to be more important than actually trying to have a meaningful exchange of ideas.

is being obese healthy ?, i think that to give a proper answer to that question first it must be said that it is definitely not the same thing having a BMI of let's say 31 which would make you obese in theory... if you don't move a finger in your life than if you do a lot of exercise and have an active life and eat healthy. so with that in mind. a lady weighing at 540 pounds and measuring a bare 5'2, will just not do it, pure fast food, zero exercise, of course that is not healthy, but then again she may not be doing it to be healthy, but just for the pleasure of eating and enjoying a bigger belly. being healthy sometimes is not that important for some people. 

however... i do think there is a balance in which, if you prefer a fatter woman, you can have one without really compromising her health in the long term. same example, 5'2 woman, weighing up to 220 pounds, having some physical activity and eating a bit of everything may be ok, and i can assure you that it i will have plenty of curves for you to grab, again, the goal is not to live forever but to enjoy the life we have in my opinion of course.