Unexpected "Weight Gain Content" in Literature

WaxerRed

• 2 weeks later...

“For Your Own Good”, by Samantha Downing is a murder mystery novel, set in an incredibly prestigious private school in the US. 

One of the POV characters is a teacher called Sonia, whose has struggled with weight fluctuations over her career. As tension builds in the story, and things at school become increasingly sinister, Sonia grows fatter and fatter, which both her students and peers pick up on, and make pointed comments about.

The novel contains little excerpts of students gossiping about the central murder mystery over Facebook. There are some snippets of the children bitching about how fat Sonia has gotten sprinkled throughout, with one girl mentioning that she saw her teacher scoff down a cheeseburger for lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know if you’d call it literature, but in the song “Roller Derby Queen” by Jim Croce, the singer falling in love with an overweight roller derby skater that he sees on a barroom TV. Here’s some of the lyrics-

“She is a five foot six and two fifteen
A bleached-blonde mama with a streak of mean” *(That’s a BMI of 34.7, which makes her obese, because of course I had to calculate that)*

And the roller derby program said
That she were built like a 'fridgerator with a head”

Well I could not help it but to fall in love
With this heavy-duty woman I been speakin' of”

“Well she might be nasty she might be fat
But I never met a person who would tell her that
She's my big blonde bomber”

The night that I fell in love with a Roller Derby Queen
The meanest hunk o' woman That anybody ever seen”

9 hours ago, Clam_ said:

I don’t know if you’d call it literature, but in the song “Roller Derby Queen” by Jim Croce, the singer falling in love with an overweight roller derby skater that he sees on a barroom TV. Here’s some of the lyrics-

A bleached-blonde mama with a streak of mean” *(That’s a BMI of 34.7, which makes her obese, because of course I had to calculate that)*

One of my favorite Jim Croce songs. Everything he wrote was gold.

13 hours ago, Clam_ said:

“People called her Toughie,

But all her friends just called her spike!”

The main female character in "Mr Blank" (Justin Robinson) is a plus size model called Mina Duplessis. The first person narrator openly appreciates her figure and throughout the novel praises her several times. I guess that the author is "one of us".

She is said to weigh 12st, which translates in 168lbs or 76kg: assuming that she's of average height for a model she would be barely overweight but, if her description is to be believed her waist should be at least 34 inches, with hips in proportion.

"I tossed the magazine away, tried to take in the rest of her, and there was a hell of a lot to take in. Not chunky exactly, though an asshole might call her that; she had too much grace to be accurately described that way. She definitely had a waist, but it probably measured more like the hips on an average LA woman: the Monroe hourglass. She didn’t seem at all ashamed of that, either, like that magazine I had just tossed would like her to be. Her blouse and skirt hugged that figure, showing every bountiful curve. It had just become a very good day to be me."

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 6:25 PM, Melody said:

“For Your Own Good”, by Samantha Downing is a murder mystery novel, set in an incredibly prestigious private school in the US. 

One of the POV characters is a teacher called Sonia, whose has struggled with weight fluctuations over her career. As tension builds in the story, and things at school become increasingly sinister, Sonia grows fatter and fatter, which both her students and peers pick up on, and make pointed comments about.

The novel contains little excerpts of students gossiping about the central murder mystery over Facebook. There are some snippets of the children bitching about how fat Sonia has gotten sprinkled throughout, with one girl mentioning that she saw her teacher scoff down a cheeseburger for lunch.

Apparently this book is getting a HBO Max adaptation, hopefully whoever they cast as the teacher actually puts on weight for the role.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2022 at 4:14 AM, andrew5229 said:

Has anyone found these stories/books for free online? 

You can easily buy the corresponding ebooks for a few bucks but a few classics (like the spanish novel) are public domain.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:24 PM, Xemnas13 said:

Apparently this book is getting a HBO Max adaptation, hopefully whoever they cast as the teacher actually puts on weight for the role.

I hope so!

I was so disappointed when the actress cast for the role of Ostre in "American Gods" was some rail thin blond woman: no thunder thighs for us!

It's not technically a weight gain but in "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Haruki Murakami the main character meets a chubby secretary whom he is attracted to despite not being into "chubby girls".

"The woman was on the chubby side. Young and beautiful and all that went with it, but chubby. Now a young beautiful woman who is, shall we say, plump, seems a bit off - Walking behind her, I fixated on her body."

and later-

"Actually, she moved quite lightly for her weight. She may have straped herself into a girdle or other paraphernalia for maximum visual effect, but that didnt alter the fact that her wiggle was tight and cute."

haha, there's not much comment on her later on in the book, but if you're up for a really weird story its a good one.

• 4 months later...

Unsure if this was mentioned elsewhere - but Only Ever Yours, by Louise O'Neill features quite a bit of wg content.

Dystopian YAF where girls grow up trained solely to be pleasing to men confined to special schools where they are ranked and rated by attractiveness. The consistently number one ranked girl begins gaining weight and losing ranking for *spoiler* reasons. A lot of discussion throughout book of weight gain, loss, eating, etc. Pretty heavy book but I thought interestingly written for a genre I don't usually care for. 

• 5 months later...

If anyone is into male weight gain, Mirror Dance  from the Vor Kossigan saga has some of the most intense weight gain writing in all of fiction. Id highly recommend the entire series because its excellent sci-fi, but one of the POV characters intentionally fattens themselves up to differentiate themselves from their clone progenitor. The whole process is described in pretty remarkable detail, and the author has him get very fat, taking about how shocked the people around him are by his rapid weight gain. Later on in the same novel he is literally force fed by a villain for weeks, getting so fat he can barely move around despite being a trained assassin. Its some hardcore shit.

I found an instance of this in 'Before the coffee gets cold' by Toshikazu Kawaguchi - It's about a cafe that can be used to travel back in time and has stories of different people using it.

The first story is of a young businesswoman named Fumiko Kiyokawa going back in time. The story repeatedly mentions how attractive and slim she is, to the point of being seen as extremely desirable.

The last story has a character going forward in time for the first time, and there they meet Fumiko, who is described as having become 'quite round' in between the present and then.

That's about all the description there is of her weight, but her previously-mentioned attractiveness and buttoned-up nature make a passing mention of her letting go quite hot. The Book's a good read as well.

• 2 months later...

From Chapter 2 of The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe:

He woke up to the pitch and roll of his wife crawling down to the foot of the bed. What a flabby, clumsy spectacle…The problem was that the bed, a queen-size resting on a plywood platform, was nearly the width of the room. So you had to crawl down or otherwise traverse the length of the mattress to reach the floor.

Now she was standing on the floor and bending over a chair to pick up her bathrobe. The way her flannel nightgown came down over her hips, she looked a mile wide. He immediately regretted thinking any such thought. He tingled with sentiment. My Rhoda! After all, she had given birth just three weeks ago. He was looking at the loins that had brought forth his first child. A son! She didn’t have her old shape back yet. He had to allow for that.

Still, that didn’t make the view any better.

Hey, I like that view!

• 4 weeks later...

https://novelfull.com/nightfall.html

Chinese Webnovel (English translation) has some. The goddess of the world comes down to earth, and inadvertently starts to gain weight as she gets humanized by the human world. She eventually ends up quite plump and cannot return to heaven as she loses her powers. This is not a goddess, but the goddes of the world who created it. She ends up marrying the main character, and the story ends with him complaining that she's not losing weight, and he starts looking at other girls.

Story is long though and WG is def not the focus.

• 8 months later...

There are a bunch of storylines woven in throughout Malazan Book of the Fallen. Its a HUGE high fantasy series with a lot of overweight characters, and a few WG plotlines. I asked the author if he was a chubby chaser during a reddit AMA, because it takes one to know one. He said no, but he said something like "fat people have sex and have relationships so why not show that". Amazing series but don't read it just for this it is way too long and involved for what amounts to like 4-5 minor plotlines woven through 10 massive books.

Early in book 1 we have a main character who is a fat woman and she bones down a lot. In book 7 we have a character who is a "master of disguises" of sorts and wears a magical fat suit, and the POV character has to hide his boner. Book 8 we have a POV character who has slowly been getting chunkier and curvier, and she is probably my Malazan waifu if I had to pick one.

4 hours ago, Wontonburritomeals said:

Early in book 1 we have a main character who is a fat woman and she bones down a lot. In book 7 we have a character who is a "master of disguises" of sorts and wears a magical fat suit, and the POV character has to hide his boner. Book 8 we have a POV character who has slowly been getting chunkier and curvier, and she is probably my Malazan waifu if I had to pick one.

The first is Tattersail. There's some decent artwork of her, too.

Who are the second and the third? 🧐

There is more. But they are always only small pieces, like that:

Malazan Book of the Fallen

Book 6  Bonehunters

Chapter 21

With silver tongs, the servant set another disk of ground rustleaf atop the waterpipe. Felisin Younger drew on the mouthpiece, waving the servant away, watching bemused as the old woman – head bowed so low her forehead was almost scraping the floor – backed away on her hands and knees. More of Kulat's rules of propriety when in the presence of Sha'ik Reborn. She was tired of arguing about it – if the fools felt the need to worship her, then so be it. After all, for the first time in her life, she found that her every need was met, attended to with fierce diligence, and those needs – much to her surprise – were growing in count with every day that passed.
As if her soul was a vast cauldron, one that demanded filling, yet was in truth bottomless. They fed her, constantly, and she was growing heavy, clumsy with folds of soft fat – beneath her breasts, and on her hips and behind, the underside of her arms, her belly and thighs. And, no doubt, her face as well, although she had outlawed the presence of mirrors in her throne room and private chambers.
Food was not her only excess. There was wine, and rustleaf, and, now, there was lovemaking.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carcer89

Thought I'd read Malazan Book of the Fallen, but apparently I've only read book 1. Thanks for the nudge guys 👍

Recentish fantasy book series called "warheit" has this in its second book "Revenge".

One view point character is a relatively minor  noble girl who through political shenanigans becomes a Queen. Due to severe threats against her life, she's kept in her royal apartments at all times, rubber stamping decisions. Her day consists of waking, being bathed and dressed, walking the short distance to her dining room and being served a stupefying huge breakfast with more food than anyone could eat. Then essentially having nothing to do but sit around and have music played for her, while servants bring her snacks without asking, until an equally large lunch. Repeat until dinner.

She tells her steward that if this keeps up she's going to very rapidly become obese. In response she's told that this wouldn't be the worst idea, as a slender, pretty queen would be seen as a bride to be captured by her scheming nobles, while a fat, round, motherly Queen would remind the nobles of their own mothers and make them obey.

So far, she hasn't gained weight but the potential...