New to Weight Gain - Needing Advice!

AliciaKate

Hi there,

I'm only just starting my journey to being a bigger girl. I am 155cm tall. I started at 40kg 6ish months ago and currently weigh 55kg. I am trying to reach my next goal of 62kg but I've hit a wall for the past few months and can't seem to gain more weight.

Liquid calories are my best friend and I snack as often as I can. I'm struggling to consume solid food so I'm relying heavily on the liquids. I also have a really weak gag reflex and when I start getting full eating solid foods, I begin to gag. This has only started happening since I've gained the weight and is usually when I'm halfway through a meal.

I want to be able to eat meals and not just rely on shakes and calorie heavy drinks.

My partner wants me to be bigger and reach this goal within 2 months which I feel is achievable but I need help.

Any advice?

Is just having a mostly liquid diet bad for me trying to gain weight?

Thanks =)

Guest MUSEic
10 hours ago, AliciaKate said:

Hi there,

I'm only just starting my journey to being a bigger girl. I am 155cm tall. I started at 40kg 6ish months ago and currently weigh 55kg. I am trying to reach my next goal of 62kg but I've hit a wall for the past few months and can't seem to gain more weight.

Liquid calories are my best friend and I snack as often as I can. I'm struggling to consume solid food so I'm relying heavily on the liquids. I also have a really weak gag reflex and when I start getting full eating solid foods, I begin to gag. This has only started happening since I've gained the weight and is usually when I'm halfway through a meal.

I want to be able to eat meals and not just rely on shakes and calorie heavy drinks.

My partner wants me to be bigger and reach this goal within 2 months which I feel is achievable but I need help.

Any advice?

Is just having a mostly liquid diet bad for me trying to gain weight?

Thanks =)

Welcome to the community, and congratulations on your journey so far.

As for your question, a liquid diet probably isn't any better or worse for your body than a solid diet. Simply do what is easiest and most comfortable for you.

If you're looking for specific foods that will be conducive to gaining, try a mass gainer powder mixed with heavy cream. A cup of heavy cream has about 900 calories, so for a lot of people that's an easy choice, but some people can't tolerate a lot of it. Milk is a perfectly fine and tasty susbtitute, but it's simply less caloric.

As far as other things you can do to maintain your health as you gain, I'd continue to eat your vegetables, get fiber, and an occasional work out will be good for you. Exercise is protective, doesn't have to burn too many calories, and will stimulate your appetite.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much I really appreciate that. I am having shakes at present with heavy cream and a gainer power and milk twice a day and I'm just snacking as much as I can. I don't do a lot of exercise anymore. I came from being a very fit and toned Crossfit addict would you believe! I have a very fast metabolism so gaining weight is a struggle. Needing it to slow down a whole bunch! 

^this.

If you've gained 15kg in 6 months, that's nothing short of monumental, especially considering you've probably lost muscle mass. It's just not practical or possible for most people's bodies to gain faster than that. 1-2kg per month is a good and commendable target.

Heavy cream does miracles, but it's very unhealthy in the long run (and I'm not talking about weight gain) along with anything else super high in trans fat, so you're fine to smash it for 3 months, 6 months, hell maybe even a year but I'd strongly advise against it in any great quantity beyond that.

You're doing a great job, keep it up. I'd recommend gradually increasing your stomach capacity. Don't let 6 waking hours pass without getting brim full, and after a month or two you'll realise not only that you can eat more, but you need to eat more. Your appetite will increase as your stomach stretches. This will make life easier. Obviously look at calorie-dense foods e.g. sugar and fat. You can try mixing the two - eat fatty savory until you're feeling sick of it, then switch to sweet foods. "Dessert tummy" is a thing for many people - you think you're full, but switching foods seems to make more room. Also, there are plenty of fatty sweets out there - cheesecake, chocolate, milkshakes with cream, icecream etc.

Now this one might work for you, it might not. When you start eating, start at a mile a minute and keep going until you have to slow down. The chemicals that tell your brain that you're full and should stop eating take a while to kick in - so the more food you've got down by then, the better. The converse of that is if you're not chewing your food enough, it takes up more room, gives indigestion and will make you feel full too early... so rush, but don't just gulp it whole. On that score, look for foods that are "easy to digest" - softer foods, stuff that's easy to chew. It'll not only go down quicker, but your stomach will break it down quicker, making room for more.

Just an experimental one, this might help or hinder... if you truly plateau, and you're eating way more calories than you need and not gaining weight, you could try hindering your metabolism... Pick a day and eat foods with no calories... Lots of them still, but empty food, like diet stuff, low fat, low sugar etc. The next day, make sure you're absolutely starving, then plow into fatty foods again. I have no idea on the science behind this - how long to "fast" etc, but it could be worth a shot if you get stuck. The fat burnt in a day will be nothing in the greater scheme of things.

Oh and avoid things known to boost metabolism or kill appetite - don't go too hard on antioxidants, don't smoke, don't have too much caffeine.

I second Archangel's emphasis on stomach capacity.  I tell this to everyone.  If you feel ill getting full on solids and can't immediately address that despite the above, just use bigger shakes to push your limits whenever possible, and then enjoy solids well within your increased capacity.  This will allow you to accelerate over time, not just continue to advance.

Wow, thats awesome thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it! Stretching my stomach has been a harder task than I expected, just putting that little bit extra in each time. But it takes commitment!

I did purchase some apetamin to see if it will help boost my appetite which should help stretching the stomach too.

I hope to feel confident enough to one day post a pic on here to show my progress