• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

On 11/7/2018 at 7:56 AM, extra_m13 said:

time is with us, almost impossible to mantain that discipline over a long period of time

I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but that’s patently false. Hundreds of female fighters all over the world have the discipline to make weight, and she is unequivocally one of them. She has never missed weight in her career, and she especially won’t now that she’s up ten pounds.

17 minutes ago, Qedrian41 said:

I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but that’s patently false. Hundreds of female fighters all over the world have the discipline to make weight, and she is unequivocally one of them. She has never missed weight in her career, and she especially won’t now that she’s up ten pounds.

There are a number of articles that discuss a weight cut crisis in MMA, particularly with the women's divisions. UFC is no exception,  and the crisis has loomed over title bouts. Including this past weekend when, I believe, strawweight bout had to be rescheduled because the challenger was over.

Paige herself admitted to almost dying after a weigh-in and has moved up a class (just one reason for starting this thread). Another MMAer, Mackenzie Dern has thread on these forums - she too has had issues being too heavy going into fights.

UFC is the premier league in fighting and I'm sure that the payouts are great motivation for making weight, but still these athletes repeatedly miss. Some just go ahead and retire mostly to stop the weight cut demands more than the fight damage itself.

14 hours ago, OscarWinner said:

There are a number of articles that discuss a weight cut crisis in MMA, particularly with the women's divisions. UFC is no exception,  and the crisis has loomed over title bouts. Including this past weekend when, I believe, strawweight bout had to be rescheduled because the challenger was over.

Paige herself admitted to almost dying after a weigh-in and has moved up a class (just one reason for starting this thread). Another MMAer, Mackenzie Dern has thread on these forums - she too has had issues being too heavy going into fights.

UFC is the premier league in fighting and I'm sure that the payouts are great motivation for making weight, but still these athletes repeatedly miss. Some just go ahead and retire mostly to stop the weight cut demands more than the fight damage itself.

Sijara Eubanks did miss, but the fight went as planned. We have no reason to believe that Paige can’t make flyweight. She made it fine in her last outing against Jessica-Rose Clark. Even if she missed weight, she is by no means fat.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, zachi said:

in her instagram story from today the scale goes up to 134...

Yeah... that’s kinda how weight cutting works. Nobody walks around at their fighting weight unless you’re Justin Gaethje or Jon Jones. 9 pounds is not that much to cut at all.