The Slowest Champion -Revisited-

riptoryx

19 hours ago, maxymumspyder said:

Outstanding part 2! This was a fantastic read and an excellent setup of what's to come. It's pretty clear that you did your homework researching this story, so I can't wait to see what comes next. Sounds like going on cruise control is going to entail for more than skipping some AP exams.

Thanks! Yes, I've definitely spent some time researching locations, academic calendars, and competition schedules to make the foundations track reality pretty closely. I find that sort of stuff helps me keep things feeling grounded, even if most folks will probably never any reason to notice details on that level. 

As for Kara--yeah, her immediate agenda does seem to include some metaphorical "hypermiling."   

16 hours ago, Matt L. said:

Enjoying your story, I like how you're setting this up, and the dialogue is crisp and natural.

Superb work. 

Thanks, Matt. I've never considered myself to be a "dialogue guy," so it's been a pleasant surprise to hear that some folks are enjoying that aspect particularly. 

15 hours ago, podracer2 said:

I have the strange feeling that Full Ride will end up with a hair less than that in the end and be quite full all the time. 

Nicknames...such double-edged sword potential, depending upon the audience. The line between praise and sarcasm can be surprisingly thin.  

9 hours ago, watashiismyaccount said:

Wow, magnificent build up you've got going here, I`m on the edge of my seat to see how it all plays out.

8 hours ago, Plus44-44 said:

As others are saying, the build up here is fantastic and your character details are equally great. Thank you for posting!

Thanks, @watashiismyaccount and @Plus44-44! Within this context, I'm the type of person who really loves to knock things down and make a big mess. But, the inevitable flip side is that there's a lot of necessary work to be done carefully stacking up all those blocks beforehand. It's very gratifying to know that you guys also appreciate that preparatory effort. I will try to make the payoff worth it.

Overall, one of my main guiding principles in writing this story has been to never lose sight of its purpose. If folks are reading, it's because they're looking for erotic weight gain fiction. They want to be turned on, and get off. I understand that. I don't expect anybody to be reading this story just to be entertained by some technically-competent but aimless, self-indulgent slice-of-life narrative.

To that end, I think it is very important to respect my readers' time. While there has been a lot character and plot set-up so far, my intent is that all of it serves the ultimate purpose of enhancing the erotic appeal of the transformative weight gain scenario. Ideally, by the end, none of the story will seem to have been wasteful filler. Feel free to let me know how I'm doing with that goal as the story goes on. ;)

I'm in agreement with the points about the plot progression. It's nice not to be bludgeoned with immediate, implausible weight gain. Even if this is erotic literature, some fidelity to character is to be expected, and it would be unrealistic for Kara to suddenly shift from a scholarship athlete into a gluttonous pig. That being said, the setup is easily effective enough that I have little doubt as to the certainty of Kara's downward spiral.  I'm looking forward to Kara waking up from one of her increasingly frequent alcoholic binges to find that her jeans don't quite fit like they used to. :)

Guest bouncybelly

very very well done so far! as a huge fan of realistic stories, I am  loving the character build up. Every little action and detail that is thrown in has me more and more excited for what comes in Kara's hopefully awkward, flabby, out of shape future. :P Keep it up!

Really looking forward to the upcoming parts of this story. I can say, without question, it's the most intriguing current serial running. I think the "payoff" to upcoming weight gain related chapters will be significant, considering the careful thought given to plot and character development. I'm hoping everyone takes the time to really dive into this one, given how well thought/put together the first two parts have been.

On 12/10/2016 at 7:19 PM, jewbacca said:

I'm in agreement with the points about the plot progression. It's nice not to be bludgeoned with immediate, implausible weight gain. Even if this is erotic literature, some fidelity to character is to be expected, and it would be unrealistic for Kara to suddenly shift from a scholarship athlete into a gluttonous pig. That being said, the setup is easily effective enough that I have little doubt as to the certainty of Kara's downward spiral.  I'm looking forward to Kara waking up from one of her increasingly frequent alcoholic binges to find that her jeans don't quite fit like they used to. :)

On 12/10/2016 at 8:28 PM, lrlr1 said:

very very well done so far! as a huge fan of realistic stories, I am  loving the character build up. Every little action and detail that is thrown in has me more and more excited for what comes in Kara's hopefully awkward, flabby, out of shape future. :P Keep it up!

15 hours ago, Woodsmont said:

I'm so excited! Wonderfully written. It's great to see how Kara is already making steps towards her downfall. I like the characters and their dialogue as well. Breathtaking.

Yep, slow and steady loses the race.  ;)

It's a long way down those stairs from Kara's level, @Woodsmont-don't be surprised if she winds up finding her breath a bit "taken" before reaching bottom, too.

I do think a rigorous respect for in-universe rules, motivations, and all-around "realism" really helps sell any fictional story, @lrlr1--erotic or otherwise. I always find myself more invested in the action, more concerned about what's going to happen, if I understand the limits of what actually can happen. Here, I'm trying to set things up such that everything to follow will seem plausible and internally consistent. Extreme, perhaps, at times, but still plausible.  

And as for Kara's jeans, c'mon, @jewbacca, you know how finicky those darn dryers can be! :P

stock-photo-woman-trying-to-close-jeans-

6 hours ago, maxymumspyder said:

Really looking forward to the upcoming parts of this story. I can say, without question, it's the most intriguing current serial running. I think the "payoff" to upcoming weight gain related chapters will be significant, considering the careful thought given to plot and character development. I'm hoping everyone takes the time to really dive into this one, given how well thought/put together the first two parts have been.

Wow, thanks, man! For all the folks who wanna jump on board, I promise to keep this little train rolling towards its anticipated wreck.

As Matt L. said, you have a gift for dialogue.  "Show don't Tell" is a mantra for any successful writer, and you can show more with a few lines of well-placed dialogue than you can in pages of exposition.

The banter between teenage girls, in particular, is tough to capture authentically.  Most books, TV shows, and movies fall victim to the same stereotypical cliches and tropes, but your dialogue is genuine and appropriate.  Certainly, Flaming Hades provided a nice foundation from which to build, but all your additions have served to enrich the story.

Maverick      

If I may add to Maverick's point, I've read a few stories and watched a few films where I wondered if the author / screenwriter  even had any real contact with females because the dialogue was so out of touch with reality.  Speaking in general, I've always listened to the way people talk and incorporate their use of language for the characters in my stories.   

Your handle of dialogue is very impressive, your story is overall enjoyable. 

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

As Matt L. said, you have a gift for dialogue.  "Show don't Tell" is a mantra for any successful writer, and you can show more with a few lines of well-placed dialogue than you can in pages of exposition.

The banter between teenage girls, in particular, is tough to capture authentically.  Most books, TV shows, and movies fall victim to the same stereotypical cliches and tropes, but your dialogue is genuine and appropriate.  Certainly, Flaming Hades provided a nice foundation from which to build, but all your additions have served to enrich the story.

Maverick      

2 hours ago, Matt L. said:

If I may add to Maverick's point, I've read a few stories and watched a few films where I wondered if the author / screenwriter  even had any real contact with females because the dialogue was so out of touch with reality.  Speaking in general, I've always listened to the way people talk and incorporate their use of language for the characters in my stories.   

Your handle of dialogue is very impressive, your story is overall enjoyable. 

Thanks, guys! I'll take your encouragement to heart and, in future days, I'll try not to feel quite so self-conscious about playing around with dialogue. Part of my lack of confidence stems from the nature of the characters. I don't think I had good understanding of teenage girl social interactions even when I was around them on a daily basis. Lo these many years removed from that experience, I'm sure my grasp of such things has only grown yet more tenuous. But apparently I'm fudging it well enough? Maybe all that time DMing Dungeons and Dragons games has some payoff after all! 

4 hours ago, lovecurvefat said:

the story is really really well written. I've only gone through the first 10-15 minutes of reading but great job man!!!!

Thanks! It is a long read, and appreciate your patience for being willing to stick with it, (And doubly so for taking the time and effort to comment!)  I'm hoping the volume of text won't feel too overwhelming and off-putting in light of the weekly update schedule. 

I think you're underestimating how well-thought out your dialogue has been in this story. I can certainly understand the feeling of concern surrounding writing quality dialogue, especially if you feel the characters are outside of your own daily experiences. However, I would say that, at least thus far, you have nailed that component of this story.

2 hours ago, maxymumspyder said:

I think you're underestimating how well-thought out your dialogue has been in this story. I can certainly understand the feeling of concern surrounding writing quality dialogue, especially if you feel the characters are outside of your own daily experiences. However, I would say that, at least thus far, you have nailed that component of this story.

Fair enough. I'll stop resisting this particular line of praise...for now!  :P

11 minutes ago, Matt L. said:

As entertaining as your story, the feedback you're generating is likewise enjoyable.

It's a vicious cycle, I tell ya! 

Curvage has some great members, and when they take the time to communicate with one another, it's often a good time for all. That's part of the reason why this place is--and long has been--my #1 stop for fetishy fun on the Internet. 

13 hours ago, richman92 said:

Pretty great story, it instantly became one of my recent favorites (the other one is Coffeemates by Bobo the Hobo). Hopefully the updates will come regularly and it won't be rushed like the vast majority of WG stories :).

Thanks! Your hope is mine as well. I feel pretty confident about my ability to stick with the one-per-week-ish update schedule for this story.

And thanks for the recommendation, too. I've encountered @Bobo the Hobo's work here and there before--most frequently on writing.com collaborative stories. His stuff always struck me as a goodly cut above the norm in terms of technical quality. I'm not sure why I haven't come across this "Coffeemates" thing until just now, but I'll check it out. 

I’ve had a few folks ask me to provide more details about Kara’s appearance, and specifically to identify a similar-looking real world person. The question struck me as possibly of broad of enough interest to warrant addressing here.

Let me preface by saying I think this is a difficult question to answer, for at least two reasons.

First, when reading fiction, I think everyone can, and does, create his or her own mental construction of the characters. While I have spilled some proverbial ink describing Kara’s overall appearance, it's my opinion that much of the art in storytelling hinges on what remains unsaid—the empty spaces left to be filled in by audience imagination. It’s part of what makes a good story connect, part of what gets an audience feeling invested. As a reader, you’re not just having a story told to you—you’re also creating the story yourself. So, to that end, I think the details of Kara’s appearance can, will, and should vary from reader to reader. She looks like what you think she should look like. Far be it from me to unduly box in such imaginative freedom.

Second, assuming I can’t dodge this question entirely with the answer above, I also think it’s difficult to find what I, personally, would deem to be a spot-on real world representation of Kara. In part, this is because, when first we meet Kara, she’s at that cusp-of-young-adulthood stage that can create a particularly ephemeral, exquisitely pristine, youthful perfection. That sort of “magic” rarely lasts long. And don’t expect Kara to be any special exception in that regard. But it’s that very fleeting nature which makes it a relatively rarely captured quality in photos and video.

With all that equivocating out of the way, if I had to compare my vision of Kara to real world examples, I think she’d probably look like some amalgamation of:

Allison Stokke:

allison-stokke-hot-wallpapers.jpg

Michelle Jenneke:

and

Neve Campbell:

8f22d834d1d5b35b07a0b3a37ce50fd4.jpg58d9ac60241c6f948a5c18f81ec75d7a.jpg

Please feel free to disregard all of this if it in any way fails to jibe with your own impressions. Please also feel equally free to share your own impressions, if you're so inclined. 

Next story update coming this weekend.

7 hours ago, podracer2 said:

That feels about right, looks wise. I mean I imagined her blonde but it's nice to have a bit of a base. 

Interesting. The original describes her as brunette, and that's among the things I left largely unchanged in my revisions. See, e.g., this quote, from the the first bit of story text I posted:

On 12/3/2016 at 8:55 PM, riptoryx said:

Her warmups complete, Kara pulled her goggles into place. Hazel eyes and long chestnut hair—the latter presently tucked carefully under her swim cap—combined with the light olive tan still holding on to her complexion from the summer to afford Kara a hint of Mediterranean exotique.

Yet despite that you still pictured her as a blonde? I think that's even more support for the idea that the experience of a story really is a collaborative effort between the author and the reader. 

2 hours ago, riptoryx said:

Interesting. The original describes her as brunette, and that's among the things I left largely unchanged in my revisions. See, e.g., this quote, from the the first bit of story text I posted:

Yet despite that you still pictured her as a blonde? I think that's even more support for the idea that the experience of a story really is a collaborative effort between the author and the reader. 

Perhaps just my own mind at work or perhaps an overtired mind missing something since even your original cover image had her as a brunette. 

“C’mon! You’re the one who volunteered me for this Jillian Michaels crap. The least you could do is keep me company.”

“I dunno, we’ll see. I’m pretty busy with family stuff.”

“That’s what you said last week.”

“Well—thanks, Mom!---“ Kara said, titling the phone away from her face momentarily as she accepted a tall, frosty glass tumbler of chocolate milkshake from Joyce. “…it was true then, too.”

It was summer break. Despite her offer at the party back in March, Kara had yet to accompany Jessie for a workout. Sarah, left to pick up the slack in Kara’s absence, was taking her to task for it—and not for the first time.

“You can’t even get a break for a couple hours? Seriously? Just a couple hours?”

“I dunno,” Kara repeated. “We’ll see.”

Jessie had invited Kara to hit the gym with her the Monday after the party. Kara had begged off. She followed up with similar requests almost every day. After a couple weeks of consistent rejection, Jessie finally stopped asking. Shortly thereafter, Sarah began pestering Kara instead.

It wasn’t like she had been trying to avoid them. It’s just that there always seemed to be something else more pressing going on. Her official visit, the unofficial visits, keeping up contacts with all her budding Stanford relationships, then cramming for exams—and, yes, lately, also trying to squeeze in all the family stuff.

News of Kara’s admission to Stanford and huge athletic scholarship had brought seemingly all the extended family relatives out of the woodwork, even those she hadn’t seen or heard from in years. Every last one was just oh-so-proud of her, and full of sage advice for a young collegiate. Quite a few were eager to visit in person before Kara departed on her next great academic adventure, leading to a whirlwind tour of congratulatory reunions after graduation. Last week she went with her dad and Sean to visit Gram-Gram. Now she was back with her mom, hosting guests from the other side of the family tree.

The obvious merit of these excuses did little to deter Sarah, however—or to dampen her growing irritation, week after week.

“Come onnnnnnnnnn! I’m so tired of just hanging out with Jessie. I wanna spin with someone who can almost keep up for a change!”

“Mmf!” Kara sputtered a chuckle after downing a sip of the thick beverage. “’Almost?’ More like you could almost keep up with me, Short Stuff.”

“So put your money-maker where your mouth is and prove it!”

“Pfff. Hello? I already have.”

“Ugh! Come. ONNNNNNNNN!” Kara winced and held phone away from her ear to lessen the volume of Sarah’s howl.

“OK, OK, OK. Maybe, alright?”

“No. Definitely. Thursday. 10 AM. Gold’s. Be there.”

The Stanford coaches had mailed Kara a summer training program. Charting a rigorous course of dryland and pool exercises for every week, the program staged in progressive intensity towards the September start date of Stanford’s autumn quarter. On paper, it looked pretty daunting. But it was only June. She had all summer to work on that. Kara was in no rush to hit the gym right this minute.

Kara sighed and took another sip. “How about 11?”

“Oh. My god. Fine! Whatever it takes to get a freaking moment of your time these days, Princess!”

“Hey now, I didn’t say I would be there. I said ‘maybe’.”

“Kara…” Sarah growled, menacingly. “Promise me right now: you’re gonna be there.”

“I dunno,” Kara pantomimed in a sing-song voice, “we’ll s—“

Sarah’s feigned scream of rage cut her off mid-word, leaving Kara in a peal of satisfied giggles.

The local Gold’s Gym was a large, stylish establishment with an Olympic-size pool and excellent equipment. Its other perks included a big membership discount for students, and—at least in Sarah and Kara’s estimation—a selection of consistently high quality eye-candy in the form of its male clientele. Over the years, it had become one of their preferred hang-outs during semester breaks when school facilities were unavailable.

Near 11:15, Kara strolled into the gym lobby to meet up with Jessie and a glowering, impatient Sarah. After getting a few snarky barbs out of her system, however, Sarah’s façade of irritation buckled under the strain of pent up enthusiasm for finally having Kara around again. Within minutes, the two were grinning and trading inside jokes in the way that only old friends can.

Jessie trailed behind as the three made their way to the locker room. She was happy to see her two teammates so chipper, but already she had begun to feel like a third wheel. Despite dozens hours working out together over the past few months, her relationship with Sarah was nothing like what these two clearly shared. Jessie silently swallowed a pang of envy and resolved to make the best of it that she could—as always.

While they were changing, Kara noticed that Sarah’s efforts to goad Jessie into a more respectable shape appeared to be paying some actual dividends. The redhead seemed a bit trimmer than Kara recalled. Her thighs and upper arms looked firmer, and that troublesome belly in particular seemed less glaringly puffy. Yet all but the last of these improvements were effectively concealed once Jessie donned her baggy t-shirt and knee-length grey sweatshorts.

Equally evident to both Sarah and Jessie was the fact that Kara had put on some weight. Scooching out of her jeans, Kara’s fulsome, pert behind wobbled with a softness not present when her rear had last been similarly on display at the sectional championships. The sleek tone of her thighs and abs had also faded. Though still smooth and shapely, they appeared to have lost much of their former definition. While surely only a modest weight fluctuation in the larger sense—indeed, none of this had even been noticeable until Kara began to disrobe—set against the backdrop of a figure that until recently had manifested such visible athleticism, changes which might otherwise be subtle instead seemed anything but.

More startling still was how Kara herself seemed either unaware of or entirely unconcerned by these developments. Her choice of gym attire certainly did nothing to downplay the situation. A matched Lycra halter top and shorts combo, patterned in flashy black-and-electric-blue, its low-set waistband pinched around her hips and middle, creating the suggestion of nascent love handles and forcing a hint of newly plush tummy to peep slightly over its hem. Sarah and Jessie exchanged a look when Kara trotted out of the locker room so clad, but neither elected to say anything about it.

As the girls wended their way across the gym to the stationary bikes, Kara’s sashaying strut caught the leering gaze of a muscley, buzzed-cut twenty-something in a “No Fear” tank top grunting his way through reps on the dipping bars. Conveniently finishing his set as the girls drew near, with remarkable bravado he stepped into Kara’s path and brought all three to a stop.

He extended a hand, and uttered a simple “Hi.”

Eyebrow arched, Kara allowed herself a moment of to appraise the masculine roadblock before responding. Jessie smiled sheepishly and looked at the floor. Sarah rolled her eyes and let out an exasperated sigh.

“Hel-lo,” Kara drawled, satisfied with her survey. She accepted his hand with a dainty shake.

For a few minutes Sarah and Jessie loomed awkwardly while Mr. No Fear engaged Kara in a shamelessly exclusive conversation. A conversation that Kara seemed entirely too willing to indulge, in Sarah’s opinion.

“OK,” Sarah eventually interjected, before her mounting ire could get out of hand, “you know what? We’ll be over there. When you’re ready. Kara.”

Kara acknowledged the statement with a cursory nod. Mr. No Fear did not offer even that. Shaking her head, Sarah stomped off towards the bikes, and Jessie followed.

“She’s not gonna join us, is she?” Jessie panted.

“I dunno,” Sarah admitted. To which she added, a few seconds later, “She ought to.”

Across the room, Kara was still chatting with the guy in the No Fear tank top. Even at this distance, and despite (or perhaps somewhat in consequence of) her recent minor weight gain, Kara radiated sensuality. Leaning casually against a lat pulldown machine, she was a vision of ripe feminine curves and clingy fabric.

Jessie sighed sourly. “I wish I had her body.”

“Pff,” Sarah scoffed. “Not for long you won’t.”

Jessie tilted her head towards Sarah with an inquisitive expression, brow wrinkled.

“What?” Sarah chuckled, her tone equal parts smugness and consternation. “It looks like she got the Freshman Fifteen early along with her admission offer. Don’t tell me you didn’t notice.”

“Well…”

“I mean, hell, at this rate, before long she might even wind up as fat as you.”

Jessie blushed and looked away. Her pedaling slowed, and then stopped. She pushed the pause button on the cycle timer.

Sarah glanced over at her partner. After a moment of genuine confusion, the pieces finally snapped together. Sarah smacked a palm against her own forehead.

“Aww, shit. Jessie, I’m sorry, you’re not fat—I mean, I didn’t mean it like that, just…you know…oh come on, you know what I mean…right?”

“No,” Jessie whispered, staring at the floor. “You’re right.”

“Jessie, c’mon, I’m sorry, re—“

“Do you know,” Jessie interrupted, “what the difference is between me and Kara?”

Sarah bit her lip and said nothing. Now she, too, stopped pedaling.

Jessie nodded towards where Kara remained engaged with Mr. No Fear, giggling obsequiously at some comment he’d made. The flirtatious signals broadcast by her exaggerated hipshot posture and extreme proximity to the guy’s personal space were obvious.

“Kara enjoys being a winner,” Jessie explained.

“But me?” she continued, turning to make eye contact with Sarah. “I actually want to win. I’m getting tired of being treated like a loser.”

“You’re not a los—“

“So when you call me fat…” Jessie pushed on. Sarah averted her eyes from Jessie’s level gaze, cheeks flushing. “…yeah, it hurts. But you know what else? It’s just gonna make me work even harder.”

Jessie jabbed the button to resume the timer and began pedaling again. She focused straight ahead, her face a stoic mask. After a few pensive moments, Sarah resumed her routine as well.

The two girls continued in silence. About ten minutes later, they both watched Kara saunter off toward the lockers alongside Mr. No Fear, his hand on her hip.

Awhile after that, Sarah cleared her throat. “Hey, Jessie,” she asked, chipper as ever, “wanna crank this up a notch?”

Jessie looked over at Sarah, her sweaty face cracking into a sharp grin. “Yes.”

By late June, Kara felt sufficiently decompressed to begin thinking about her pre-season training. Although a couple weeks behind schedule, she harbored no worries. The summer stretched out before her like an endless sea of Saturdays. Rather than toil away at the same old Gold’s Gym, however, Kara figured it would be much more productive to hone her abilities in the crucible of their testing: Stanford’s aquatic center.

The idea had much to recommend it. Stanford’s facilities were peerless, and she already had clearance to use them for free at any time. Also, it was an obvious fact that no other preparation could possibly replicate the authenticity of practice in the very same pools where she would soon compete. True, the university was a long drive from home, but Kara had several new acquaintances boarding on or near the campus throughout the summer quarter. She was sure any number of them would happily let her bed down for a night or two to avoid the commute. Plus, it would be good experience, being away from home and on her own at Stanford for extended periods. It’d give her a chance to spread her wings a bit. After all, that’s how things would be every day starting in September, right? Why not take this opportunity to ease into it—avoid culture shock by getting acclimated at a comfortable pace?

All these rationalizations and more Kara rattled off to her mother, making her case. Joyce was an easy sell. Kara had become a young adult, she figured, and had gotten herself this far. It would be broody-hennish, trying to keep her pinned in the nest for a few more months.

Within hours of getting Joyce’s blessing, Kara was packed and on the road. As expected, locking down accommodations had been a cinch. A few texts and she had a place to crash on campus for the rest of the week. And if she hadn’t mentioned to her mother that most of her acquaintances for summer accommodations were guys she met at parties, well…that was only because Joyce hadn’t asked.

14 hours ago, Matt L. said:

Smoothly written, the relationship between the girls and their banter have a realistic feel, love the physical descriptions as well as Jessie's figure is improving and Kara's body is softening.  

Fantastic work!   

Thanks, man. Be mindful of those shifting dynamics and evolving relationships. They can be dangerous! ;)

13 hours ago, Woodsmont said:

I may have cried a little. I love how Kara has started to put on weight during her weeks of glorification. Sophie's annoyance and Jessie's determination are so believable, especially compared to Kara's claim on superiority. The small weight gain already makes that a bit more hollow. 

Amazing!

Hahah! I think that might be the most exuberant praise I've ever received. I'm very glad to hear you're identifying with the perspectives of Sarah (Sophie?) and Jessie. The lay of the land really does appear different, depending upon your vantage point. Hence much of the current, unresolved conflict.