Your Thoughts On Women's Plus Size Fashion

calpanmant

Two fashion students and myself are currently designing a plus size fashion brand. Our target market is women aged 25-35. We wanted to get more general thoughts on the women’s plus size fashion industry to better guide how we design our brand and store.

So our questions are: What has been you experience with the women’s plus size fashion industry (stores, online shopping)? Has it been positive or negative and why? What would you like to see more from this industry (store environment, friendliness of staff, clothing styles etc)?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Guest Goldwing

In my experience helping a few plus sized women I've dated, something that's often a concern is that plus sized clothing is a different look altogether. For example, you see a cute dress or top at a regular size, and can't find even close to the equivalent at plus. Or worse, you find the plus sized equivalent, but the designer took no efforts to tailor it to the larger body.

Something else, is the one-shape problem. Some clothing lines will assume that a woman is all hips, or all bust. There needs to be varied options, understanding that each person carries their weight differently - some are pears, some are apples, some are hourglass, etc.

Also, I'd push that range from 25-45. 35 is an odd cut-off, given that you'll find people ranging from clubber to professional all across that range.

Hope that helps a bit!