Lena Dunham

triangle

Guest lurkymclurker

I'm more sympathetic to those defending her, just because there are still dudes out there who think any woman they find unattractive should shut the fuck up.

lol, read the post of the one person who told her to shut the fuck up. It has nothing to do with her appearance, it's like you skimmed their post to make a strawman argument.

That's what a lot of the hate for her out on the web (not just here) comes down to. If you don't think she's as hot ad other people are saying that's fine, but if you think she ought to shut her mouth and get off of television because she doesn't make your dick hard, Dude, That's Misogynist!™

March of the strawmen. The best tool in the radical feminist fallacious argument cookbook. Ironically, "she is so untalented" directly preceded "shut the fuck up", not to mention that it is a separate sentence. So to come to the conclusion that the poster really meant "she should shut the fuck up because she isn't attractive" is a major error on both of your parts. So predictable.

Guest AbeVanHelsing

lol, I will never understand the polarization surrounding Girls and Lena.

It's because its a show about the "struggles" of rich white people who can't relate to the difficulties of average Americans (Mommy and Daddy cut off my trust fund, oh no!)

Also, if you can't move past the idea that any man criticizing her is a woman-hating misogynist, I'd suggest reading some of the criticism coming from non-white women (Remember them?  They can rant about stuff on the internet too!)

http://thehairpin.com/2012/04/where-my-girls-at

(plenty more where that came from if you're willing to (google)

lol, read the post of the one person who told her to shut the fuck up. It has nothing to do with her appearance, it's like you skimmed their post to make a strawman argument.

that woman's pictures are grade-A boner killers. she is so unattractive. and so untalented. she needs to shut the fuck up. she's so ugly on the inside and out and is only being talked about because mommy and daddy were famous.

Seems to be all about her appearance to me.  Oh, and about "nepotism".  My goodness, someone with family connections was able to get a show on HBO!  This has never happened before in the history of television until now!  I don't think being the daughter of a modestly known NYC artist is that big of an advantage, frankly...her family's wealth probably helped more than her name.

It's because its a show about the "struggles" of rich white people who can't relate to the difficulties of average Americans (Mommy and Daddy cut off my trust fund, oh no!)

Also, if you can't move past the idea that any man criticizing her is a woman-hating misogynist, I'd suggest reading some of the criticism coming from non-white women (Remember them?  They can rant about stuff on the internet too!)

http://thehairpin.com/2012/04/where-my-girls-at

(plenty more where that came from if you're willing to (google)

I know all about the racial criticism.  As if Seinfeld and a bunch of other shows based in NYC didn't do the same thing?  At least Dunham took the criticism well and admitted her experiences are that of a fairly sheltered white girl.  The show is quite aware that their characters are sheltered and naive, and does not make them easy to admire, as opposed to something like Entourage where we were supposed to be cheering on those douchebags.

Guest AbeVanHelsing

I know all about the racial criticism.  As if Seinfeld and a bunch of other shows based in NYC didn't do the same thing?  At least Dunham took the criticism well and admitted her experiences are that of a fairly sheltered white girl.  The show is quite aware that their characters are sheltered and naive, and does not make them easy to admire, as opposed to something like Entourage where we were supposed to be cheering on those douchebags.

Yeah I've criticized a bunch of those other shows for basically portraying the most culturally diverse city in America as a playground for affluent white singles; and I haven't ever gotten into entourage precisely because its mega douchey.

Bottom line, I guess I just wanted to put it out there that I dislike Lena for reasons that have nothing to do with her physical appearance, more along the lines of socio-cultural angst and whatnot.

The racial criticisms have died down lately, but her being naked and eating cake is fresh, and there's a whole wave of criticism directed at her for just that.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/lena-dunham-naked-nude

"...I can’t escape witnessing the social anxiety the often-nude Dunham has wrought upon the public, most recently in a New York Post piece apparently intended to review the new season of “Girls,” but which instead prefers to take a few totally bizarre potshots at Dunham’s body: “It’s not every day in the TV world of anorexic actresses with fake boobs that a woman with giant thighs, a sloppy backside and small breasts is compelled to show it all.” The article goes on to characterize Dunham’s “blobby body” and bemoan the fact that the wobbling Dunham gets dates while her much prettier friend suffers"

So yeah, sorry if it seems like I'm attacking strawmen, I'm responding to stuff I'm seeing elsewhere around the web, like I said.

If you don't think she's attractive, just say so, we don't care why (or don't say so at all. I don't get what's so important about raining on everyone else's parade). If you don't think she's talented or that her show isn't good, well you can say that too, but that's not really what we were talking about either. The all-around hate she inspires is unpleasant, suspect of some kind of misogyny or something, and really doesn't contribute to this thread, imo.

All this talk of not looking attractive. Are maybe missing the big picture. For all we know she has a wonderful personality, She obviously did those shots to create talk (which worked) & promote you do not have to be the hottest in the work, to be proud of the body she has.

All this over Lena Dunham? So, that's why she's seriously enjoying a ton of success right now! All Lena has really done is shift from a Neve Campbell-like portrayal of teenage angst into her own adult version of that stereotype. Her character of Hannah is an over-privileged, immature, self-hating, selfish screw-up who tries to fill the void with sex and cake. Lena the writer probably chose cake over spending 5-hours hating herself on a treadmill or trying to control her life through anorexia because Lena Dunham the woman likes to eat. That's why she fits right into the Curvage framework! And that's why I like her. Lena Dunham clearly likes to eat, which gives her a home here.

Guest lurkymclurker

The racial criticisms have died down lately, but her being naked and eating cake is fresh, and there's a whole wave of criticism directed at her for just that.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/lena-dunham-naked-nude

So yeah, sorry if it seems like I'm attacking strawmen, I'm responding to stuff I'm seeing elsewhere around the web, like I said.

If you don't think she's attractive, just say so, we don't care why (or don't say so at all. I don't get what's so important about raining on everyone else's parade). If you don't think she's talented or that her show isn't good, well you can say that too, but that's not really what we were talking about either. The all-around hate she inspires is unpleasant, suspect of some kind of misogyny or something, and really doesn't contribute to this thread, imo.

Why would you link and quote a blog criticizing someone's opinion of the show and the character/actress rather than the source material itself? The original article was written by a woman, but I guess that would be labeled "internal misogyny", am I right? You are suspecting misogyny? Let's take a line from the "male privilege" checklist..."If I'm careless with my financial affairs it won't be attributed to my sex". I guess men have this privilege as well, then? "If I express my hatred for one woman it will be attributed to hatred for all women" See how that doesn't really work out? We are all entitled to our opinions and promoting censorship goes against very basic rights in most western countries.

I'm not going to write an essay, but I will say....still ugly.  Apparently an untalented, arrogant bitch too, but, the reality is that'd be ok, save for the ugly.

We are on a forum that is inherently aesthetic based...And if the consensus says someone happens to be unattractive, guess what--they're unattractive.

Being overweight doesn't guarantee being pretty, nor does it automatically make you funny.

Let's drop it.

Well if the consensus says she's unattractive then I guess this thread is over. The argument over whether she's hot or not is over, anyone in this thread with a boner better hand it in at the front desk, they are no longer allowed. Please find acceptable fap material elsewhere.

I don't even have a dog in this fight, I'm done.

Not thinking someone is attractive, funny, or talented does not warrant throwing out a misogynist card.  That's asinine, and insults true cases of misogyny. 

If a fat ugly girl is not funny, it can just be because she's not funny.  It doesn't need to be because she's fat, or ugly, or a she.  Give Lena some respect, and let her stand on her own merits.

She just seems to have none.

So many fedoras.

Pretty much the usual shitstorm of huffy dudes and a lot of "bitch" thrown around casually. Again, someone took the time to post a piece by piece nonsense rebuttal instead of a quick sentence or two nonsense rebuttal, someone said I don't know what a word means and offered no alternate definition, someone implied I had been brainwashed by my college professors, (and really specific vitriol for state schools?) a few people dusted off the ol' high school debate handbook and used terms like "straw man," and in a not-at-all surprising twist, someone implied that, wait a sec, Lena Dunham somehow Deserves This negative stuff about her body because her show doesn't portray enough women of color. Fun fact, nowhere in that (admittedly pretty dead-on) Hairpin article is Dunham called a frumpty dumpty.

Y'all can gripe until you're blue in the friend-zone about how unfair it is for guys to get accused of misogyny when they call women ugly bitches or how part of a discussion forum is saying that that certain women are ugly bitches, and that's cool. Go for it. Just remember how important it was to you to preserve your personal liberty to post that someone needs more boobs and hair when that pretty lady from the Your Pictures board vanishes. Remember it when she posts something to her tumblr (why is there so much tumblr hate?) about all the assholes and creeps on Curvage being the reason why she left, Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe I'm brainwashed, maybe I did go to state school. (I did.) It doesn't change the simple fact that saying insulting things about people is not ok. Even if those people don't read the board, even if they aren't Christina Hendricks, (who LOVES fedoras, seriously) even if they make a show on HBO that has trouble dealing with certain issues, it's not ok. Quit it. Don't be a jerk.

That's it for me, Curvage, I'll be back in 2014 to derail another thread! Amazingly, this counts as progress for me; last time I tried to suggest that there was a correlation between posting mean stuff and people vanishing from the site I was mainly arguing with forum handles that referenced de Sade character or lesser-known SS officers. We shall overcome.

P.S. The only people I feel any sorrow for are those who nobly tried to get this thing back on track or came here looking for anything actually related to Lena Dunham. I apologize, deeply.

Artificial intellect, overinflated ego, and a remarkable lack of self-awareness...ironic how much that fits right in in a Dunham thread.

Neither of you will missed.

So many fedoras.

Pretty much the usual shitstorm of huffy dudes and a lot of "bitch" thrown around casually. Again, someone took the time to post a piece by piece nonsense rebuttal instead of a quick sentence or two nonsense rebuttal, someone said I don't know what a word means and offered no alternate definition, someone implied I had been brainwashed by my college professors, (and really specific vitriol for state schools?) a few people dusted off the ol' high school debate handbook and used terms like "straw man," and in a not-at-all surprising twist, someone implied that, wait a sec, Lena Dunham somehow Deserves This negative stuff about her body because her show doesn't portray enough women of color. Fun fact, nowhere in that (admittedly pretty dead-on) Hairpin article is Dunham called a frumpty dumpty.

Y'all can gripe until you're blue in the friend-zone about how unfair it is for guys to get accused of misogyny when they call women ugly bitches or how part of a discussion forum is saying that that certain women are ugly bitches, and that's cool. Go for it. Just remember how important it was to you to preserve your personal liberty to post that someone needs more boobs and hair when that pretty lady from the Your Pictures board vanishes. Remember it when she posts something to her tumblr (why is there so much tumblr hate?) about all the assholes and creeps on Curvage being the reason why she left, Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe I'm brainwashed, maybe I did go to state school. (I did.) It doesn't change the simple fact that saying insulting things about people is not ok. Even if those people don't read the board, even if they aren't Christina Hendricks, (who LOVES fedoras, seriously) even if they make a show on HBO that has trouble dealing with certain issues, it's not ok. Quit it. Don't be a jerk.

That's it for me, Curvage, I'll be back in 2014 to derail another thread! Amazingly, this counts as progress for me; last time I tried to suggest that there was a correlation between posting mean stuff and people vanishing from the site I was mainly arguing with forum handles that referenced de Sade character or lesser-known SS officers. We shall overcome.

P.S. The only people I feel any sorrow for are those who nobly tried to get this thing back on track or came here looking for anything actually related to Lena Dunham. I apologize, deeply.

Quick 12:45 check...still ugly.  Plenty of more popular women getting way less airtime...but here we are, talking about a person called Lena. 

This thread will die, just as her limited popularity and career will.  Sorry--not talented and ugly only gets you so far, even with nepotism.  Good riddance...and if you're white-knighting, pretentious ass wants to blither otherwise.....go ahead. 

First, come to terms with the nature of the forums...aesthetic. Then with the fact that not everyone brought up will be popular.  Then realize not wanting to be stuck with an untalented twit clogging up our board can be annoying

Guest lurkymclurker

So many fedoras.

le tumblr so fanni XD

Pretty much the usual shitstorm of huffy dudes and a lot of "bitch" thrown around casually.

It's not really a shitstorm, because there is very little emotion invested in this. Radical feminists are allowed to voice their opinions on anything they want and I can't change that. However, I will point out any blatant logical fallacies that they might be making while doing so.

and a lot of "bitch" thrown around casually.
Words can be thrown around casually, they only have power if you give them any, you have clearly given the word "bitch" a lot of power but this is not the case for everyone. Casual use of such words seems to lessen their power, though. Would you rather see these words censored by law?

Again, someone took the time to post a piece by piece nonsense rebuttal instead of a quick sentence or two nonsense rebuttal, someone said I don't know what a word means and offered no alternate definition,

Someone? Nonsense? I would appreciate it if you would give me the respect I have given you by addressing me directly, as this comes off as very immature.

someone said I don't know what a word means and offered no alternate definition,
The definition of misogyny is a hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women. This is not an alternate definition, it is the real one. The alternate one is when you add "systematic" or something along those lines to it. You can hate one woman without hating all women, it's a fairly simple concept.

a few people dusted off the ol' high school debate handbook and used terms like "straw man,"
Uh, I was the one person that did that. I'm not a few people. Is there a state university debate handbook I can upgrade to? Why is straw man in quotes? It's a pretty common fallacy that gets thrown around way too easily.

Y'all can gripe until you're blue in the friend-zone

I guess I'm part of that Y'all as I was "a few people" and "someone" multiple times before. I don't believe in the friendzone and don't like how you are using it to discredit our posts...
about how unfair it is for guys to get accused of misogyny when they call women ugly bitches or how part of a discussion forum is saying that that certain women are ugly bitches, and that's cool. Go for it.
Never said that it was unfair, just that it was an error. They do not call women ugly bitches, the call this particular woman an ugly bitch. Forums can be about any topic and it is very cool that people are free to express their opinions on multiple topics.
Just remember how important it was to you to preserve your personal liberty to post that someone needs more boobs and hair when that pretty lady from the Your Pictures board vanishes. Remember it when she posts something to her tumblr (why is there so much tumblr hate?) about all the assholes and creeps on Curvage being the reason why she left, Maybe I'm an idiot, maybe I'm brainwashed, maybe I did go to state school. (I did.) It doesn't change the simple fact that saying insulting things about people is not ok. Even if those people don't read the board, even if they aren't Christina Hendricks, (who LOVES fedoras, seriously) even if they make a show on HBO that has trouble dealing with certain issues, it's not ok. Quit it. Don't be a jerk.
Since I've posted none of that, I guess I won't have to think of any possible consequences you have somehow connected between the two events. For every "creep", there are tons of random guys that provide loads of generic compliments and will defend them for whatever reason no matter how irrational. I've been on the opposite end of this many times, so I can safely tell you that calling Lena Dunham ugly won't matter very much and we shouldn't spend too much time worrying about the one uber-sensitive soul that shouldn't be on the internet in the first place. There are thousands of other women that can deal with it.

You say that we shouldn't express our opinions because it can affect others in an emotional way...yet you express your opinions about fedoras in the very same way. Are the guys that get posted on "fedoras of okc" not human? Is their public humiliation because some women find their political views and fashion sense to be unattractive different? Or is it justified because they are men? I'm just wondering...

I've never seen the show, but she seems quite amiable in this video (and cute):

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_late_show/video/10380F42-1118-BEB8-2D76-414F31B118DB/craig-ferguson-don-t-do-it-

Ironically, they talk about ignoring people writing nonsense on the internet. 

In all fairness, if you're going to go after someone for having an ugly face or no talent, you might as well start with Kim Kardashian or something.  And I'm not trying to pick on Kim . . . the point is that despite those obvious problems, she still has a great ass.  And some guys prefer an empty head with an ugly face.  So whining about it would be rather vexing. 

Lena has short hair and a small chest, but that doesn't stop her from being pleasantly chubby and articulate.  I think I'll go on casually enjoying those qualities. 

post-722-1451327280929_thumb.jpg

post-722-14513272837686_thumb.png

The "haunt my dreams" comment was more related to her being naked on the toilet eating cake. I prefer not to mix my erotic images with toilets whenever possible. I don't find her all that attractive, but I'm not going to bash anybody who thinks she is. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences. Never meant to make anyone feel otherwise.