Who here likes anime? I know some of you do... get in here!

Ayumi_Chan

Okay so I will answer said questions later, but I had this topic idea and wanted to make it before I forgot it.

But What Anime are you currently in to:

How long have you watched anime:

First anime you remember watching:

Best anime series:

Worst anime Series:

Favorite anime Genre:

And recommend some Anime for the rest of us to watch:

But What Anime are you currently in to:

Best anime series:

Worst anime Series:

Favorite anime Genre:

I'm currently working my way through Fist of the North Star, which I'm quite enjoying, but I've not seen much anime at all. Watched Pokemon as a child, seen a bit of Gundam, One Piece and Berserk, but not truly got into it yet. I've seen an episode of Cowboy Bebop, and really want to watch that at some point. Hard to say what I think the worst anime is, but of the ones I've seen it's one about a girl who is sent to destroy the world or something, and she does silly things and is in love with her commander. It's a cutesie comedy, and I loathed it.

I'd recommend Fist Of The North Star, definitely. Also do anime style films count? Because The Girl Who Leapt through time is beautiful.

Okay, here are my answers to my own questions.

What Anime are you currently in to:

Lovely Complex, Nichijou, Welcome to the NHK, Sword Art Online

Ever since I can remember

Not many people may know this, but Wedding Peach and various Japanese kid animes like Chibi Maruko Chan and Crayon Shin Chan

Best anime series:

This is a really hard one to pick. It really really is. There's so many that I've seen that have blown my mind in one fashion or another so it's hard to say.

Worst anime Series:

Ummmmmmmm..... it's one that is based off of an H-game but literally is not an H[entai] themed anime show... SO damn boring. I cannot remember the name.

Favorite anime Genre:

That's a tough one, because I do like so many different genres.

Anime I would recommend: (This will be quite a list as I'm part of an anime club lol.)

- Hellsing  (Probably one of the only vampire anime that I really like, and that's saying a lot.)

- Lovely Complex  (Story of a girl who likes a guy, simply a Comedy Romance. Give it 2 episodes, seriously.)

- Maho Shojou Madoka Magica  (Magical school girl, but it will change how you view magical school girl.)

- Kuragehime  (A group of otaku women who fear men/ hipsters. It is a really good series too.)

- High School of the Dead (Zombies with T&A. IF you can look past the fan service, it's got an awesome plotline)

- Blue Exorcist  (Story of Satan's 2 sons. One is an exorcist, the other must become one.)

- Nichijou  (Random as hell but funny)

- Welcome to the NHK (Following the lives of NEETs, It's a good watch.)

- Wagnaria (working!)  (Slice of life about people who work in a restaurant.)

- Moyashimon  (it's about a guy who can see microbes, cute, but highly educational.)

- Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt  (Essentially it's an Adult themed Power Puff Girls. Awesome to watch!)

- Ouran High School Host Club  (Reverse Harem, if you like cutesy stuff, this is a good anime.)

- Wolf's Rain.  (Was on Toonami for a while. Good from what I remember of it.)

- Ben-to!  (Fighting over discounted lunches with some fanservice.)

- Soul Eater  (Very big Shonen Anime that was a big hit 3 years ago in the US. Worth watching)

- Baccano  (Worth a watch)

- Squid Girl  (It's cute and slice of Life-y)

- Lucky Star (Very much so slice of life)

And that's it for now. This should be a good list to start you off somewhat. If you want more suggestions, please let me know. =)

Most anime can be found on:

Anime44.com

or

Crunchyroll.com

I'm currently working my way through Fist of the North Star, which I'm quite enjoying, but I've not seen much anime at all. Watched Pokemon as a child, seen a bit of Gundam, One Piece and Berserk, but not truly got into it yet. I've seen an episode of Cowboy Bebop, and really want to watch that at some point. Hard to say what I think the worst anime is, but of the ones I've seen it's one about a girl who is sent to destroy the world or something, and she does silly things and is in love with her commander. It's a cutesie comedy, and I loathed it.

I'd recommend Fist Of The North Star, definitely. Also do anime style films count? Because The Girl Who Leapt through time is beautiful.

OMG, I loved the Girl Wo Leapt Through Time. Loved Loved Loved it. It's literally only one of 3 anime movie's I've ever bought.

Hmmmm, I have to say that I don't watch nearly as much anime as I would like to, but I'll give it a crack

What Anime are you currently in to: I really like Durarara. I wish I could find out where I could find more than the first season

How long have you watched anime: On and off since toonami when I was 12ish

First anime you remember watching: The first real anime I remember is naroto and one piece, and I'll still defend naruto on the basis that it had a good plot.

Best anime series: Full Metal Alchemist, this kinda goes without saying for anime noobs.

Worst anime Series: Squid girl but I love it anyway <3

Favorite anime Genre: To be honest, I really don't know enough to say.

Aside from Pokemon (which I love), I've just recently been exposed to my very first grown up, kind of legitimate anime: Fullmetal Alchemist (the first series and the Brotherhood series). Holy crap that series has blown my hair back so much. Just read the manga and it's even better than the anime. It's the perfect mix of political thriller, action flick, philosophical/theological study, drama, comedy, and adventure movie. I can't recommend it enough.

So as far as all the questions that you asked, the answer if Fullmetal Alchemist. But while I'm looking at this thread I will ask all of your expert opinion: what can I watch that'll give me that same level of maturity and balance over a wide variety of sub-genres? I'm definitely looking to expand my horizons with new Anime now that I've had a taste of it's excellence.

I think it would be easier to list the ones I've watched all the way through and what I'm planning/going to soon.

What I've watched:

Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Champloo

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Death Note

Afro Samurai (that counts, right?)

Highschool of the Dead

Fooly Cooly

What I'm in the middle of watching:

Monster

Trigun

Hellsing

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

What I plan to start:

Lupin the 3rd.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Ah! My Goddess

Trinity Blood

Noir

Aria: The Secret Ammo

So as far as all the questions that you asked, the answer if Fullmetal Alchemist. But while I'm looking at this thread I will ask all of your expert opinion: what can I watch that'll give me that same level of maturity and balance over a wide variety of sub-genres? I'm definitely looking to expand my horizons with new Anime now that I've had a taste of it's excellence.

-Gundam Wing - is a political based Gundam series though the voice acting is lack luster in english.

-Maho Shojo Madoka Magica - because it's actually got a really serious plot line. Give it till the third episode though.

-Wolf's Rain - is definitely a serious show.

-Hellsing - is a good one, it really really is, plus it incorporates The nazi regime.

-Cowboy Bebop - is one that you should watch because it is a staple of Anime and is more of a mature sort of plotline.

-High School of the Dead - is surprisingly a serious anime once you get down to the core of the plotline and actually is quite emotional and mature albeit the Fanservice.

-Sword Art Online - is one that has recently been released in Japan and will more than likely be a big hit.

-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - It's an anime Movie, but it is GOOD.

-Nana is quite a good anime. A bit coming of age, but it fits into a drama oriented genre with a Music related sub genre.

If you want something comedic with a slice of life feel:

Lovely Complex as it's also a good anime that is a coming of age anime. Cute and will give you feels.

• Moderators

Ones I have watched and care to mention...

Rurouni Kenshin

Cowboy Bebop

Welcome to the NHK

Death Note

Yakitate Japan

Kenshin is my favorite. NHK is a good mix of humor and sadness, I'm glad to see someone else has watched it. The Puru Puru Puruin song used to be my ringtone, lol. Death Note was great until *spoiler* L was killed and they revealed a whole farming system of Ls *spoiler*.

-Gundam Wing - is a political based Gundam series though the voice acting is lack luster in english.

-Maho Shojo Madoka Magica - because it's actually got a really serious plot line. Give it till the third episode though.

-Wolf's Rain - is definitely a serious show.

-Hellsing - is a good one, it really really is, plus it incorporates The nazi regime.

-Cowboy Bebop - is one that you should watch because it is a staple of Anime and is more of a mature sort of plotline.

-High School of the Dead - is surprisingly a serious anime once you get down to the core of the plotline and actually is quite emotional and mature albeit the Fanservice.

-Sword Art Online - is one that has recently been released in Japan and will more than likely be a big hit.

-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - It's an anime Movie, but it is GOOD.

-Nana is quite a good anime. A bit coming of age, but it fits into a drama oriented genre with a Music related sub genre.

If you want something comedic with a slice of life feel:

Lovely Complex as it's also a good anime that is a coming of age anime. Cute and will give you feels.

Thanks Ayumi Chan! I've heard of Gundam Wing and Cowboy Bebop, and I'm pretty sure it's easily accessible for me, so I'll totally start there, and I'm definitely going to give all these other recommendations a shot! Thanks again for this list!

What Anime are you currently in to: currently watching Future Diary, and random other stuff our anime club on campus shows every week.

How long have you watched anime: Since Pokemon first came out over in the US. So, early elementary school

First anime you remember watching: Pokemon and Sailor Moon

Best anime series: Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Worst anime Series: second season of Clubbed to Death Angel. Shit's just...terrible.

Favorite anime Genre: Shogen is dude anime, right? I've watched a lot of those, haha.

And recommend some Anime for the rest of us to watch:

Elfen Lied, Baccano, Fruits Basket, FMA Brotherhood, Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann, and the Phoenix Wright live action movie (not really anime, but along the same lines, and it's pretty awesome)

I'm not an otaku or mega-super-big anime fan. I just like some animes.

What Anime are you currently in to: Naruto Shippuuden.

How long have you watched anime: I'm with anime since childhood (15-20 years, I don't remember my first contact with anime)

First anime you remember watching: hmm... It was Captain Tsubasa, Dragon Ball or Saint Seiya. They were in this same program every morning.

Best anime series: Saint Seiya!

Worst anime Series: I don't know a lot of anime, so it's hard for me to choice. Maybe Kampfer. Nice anime, nice looking and nice idea. But there aren't enough episodes so finish sucks.

• 1 month later...

When I was younger (14 to 17) i used to watch lots of animes, but now not so much ( it hard to find a plot line that can catch and keep my attention)

What Anime are you currently in to:  I am actually trying to find a good one.

How long have you watched anime: Since kid (7 year old)

First anime you remember watching: Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya (not a lot) and Rurouni Kenshin

Best anime series: ( this is a tricky question, I am not able to choose just one!  ;D ) Uhmm... Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Ball Z ( oh, childhood memories...), Full Metal Alchemist, Tokyo goodfathers (Movie), Blood + and the classics, Love Hina and Neon Genesis Evangelion

Worst anime Series: Death Note ( is not really bad, it just has a  weird plot twist that ruins the anime, in my opnion)  ;)

Favorite anime Genre: Futuristic/sci-fi, Comedy and Adult ( Not hentai, but animes like monster, Gantz or Ghost in the Shell).

Worst anime Series: Death Note ( is not really bad, it just has a  weird plot twist that ruins the anime, in my opnion)  ;)

Which are you talking about? Just curious.

I really like this manga, the anime is well done but the end is silly, I prefer the original manga one.

Tokyo Godfathers is cool too, I should rewatch it one of those days.

Most of what you enumerated are animes adapted from mangas, you guys have more "real" anime?

Just started watching Gintama which is pretty cool so far but been watching Bleach for ages, love it although because I started watching it in dubbed I have to continue that way, I know the main series is way way ahead of the English verision but I like it. :thumbsup:

Which are you talking about? Just curious.

I really like this manga, the anime is well done but the end is silly, I prefer the original manga one.

Tokyo Godfathers is cool too, I should rewatch it one of those days.

Most of what you enumerated are animes adapted from mangas, you guys have more "real" anime?

L`s death.

When it happened, the anime became unbalanced.

After that, all what was left was a great villain without a good Hero.

L`s successors were not as charismatic as he was

I don't know if "Patlabor" is a "real anime", as you said but if like giant robots and fairly realistic plot this is a good one.

That's because the hero of Death Note is Light, not L.

I know , but in the same time, he is not.

Death note (in my opinion) is a kind of two "anti-heroes" story .

Light wants to help the world by killing criminals and "L" just want to find "Kira".  They are just hunting each other.  Light tends to be on the "bad" side (is a guy killing people!)

This story is told by Light`s point of view... And by his actions, he  definitely can not be called a classic hero.

But again, thats my opnion... I havent read the manga, just saw the anime...

I know , but in the same time, he is not.

Death note (in my opinion) is a kind of two "anti-heroes" story .

Light wants to help the world by killing criminals and "L" just want to find "Kira".  They are just hunting each other.  Light tends to be on the "bad" side (is a guy killing people!)

This story is told by Light`s point of view... And by his actions, he  definitely can not be called a classic hero.

But again, thats my opnion... I havent read the manga, just saw the anime...

Anime and manga are basically the same except for the lousy anime ending, Light looks like a total dumbass, while he kind of "wins" in the manga.

• 6 years later...