The Necropost Debate: A Compromise

Many regular visitors to the site become frustrated when they click on new posts only to find that they are comments rather than new content from the original poster (OP).  At the same time, OP's receive less feedback and many less frequent visitors to the site have become frustrated that their comments and feedback for the OP have been deleted or moved into the Abyss.  They may not check the site often but still wish to contribute when they are online.

Here, I offer what I believe to be a simple and elegant solution.

On the main page of each forum, we should add a new column: Date of last post from the OP.

To provide a real example, one line on the forum may then look something like this:
Thread: New gainer BIG goals
OP: Pretty.Young.Gainer
Last Post by Anyone: Jan 14
Last Post by OP: Jan 8

This way, OP's (and people who want to read comments) can do so by sorting on the last post, while those wishing to only see OP-posts can filter out the "necroposts" in one click by sorting on the last OP post.  It would require an edit to the mechanics of the site, but I think it is a solution that would make those on both sides of this debate happy.  I believe that this is a change which would provide a substantial benefit to the site, as it would give OP's more of the feedback that they came here for and make it easier for frequent viewers to identify new content.  It would also significantly reduce the workload for moderators, as they would no longer need to filter for "necroposts".

If I were an OP, I certainly would like to see actual feedback instead of people arguing over whether posts were added too late.  Let's resolve this debate!

Any thoughts?

CGL, I think you missed the point I was trying to make.  In fact, people not only don't mind but want the OP to update the thread with new content.  My suggestion would allow people to sort the list of threads by the most recent OP update.  When the list is sorted like this, any post from someone other than the OP will not cause the thread to jump to the top.  When you can sort by the last OP post date, only OP's will be able to bump (their own) threads to the top; all others, including necroposters asking for "any updates", will not move the thread up by posting (though for sake of those who also like to read comments, we could also leave the original sorting mechanism).

The slight problem with that is a great deal of the threads here aren't being help up by their OP's.

Take Caitidee's as an example, she does post pictures on every page but other people also post pictures to her thread. That content would be missed by what you're proposing?

So two things here:

1)When someone uploads a picture to a thread, the site should tag that post as 'one with content' then someone can come along to that thread and filter out all the posts in that thread that don't have content.

2) I do remember SuperJ saying girls liked having their threads bumped etc as it meant they knew guys still wanted their content and were still interested (along those lines). So, now that we have big profile sections, a thread over a certain amount of days old might ask someone if what they want to post might be better placed on that persons profile instead. "on I really miss girl X hope she comes back soon, best wishes."

Actually, we should implement a photo tagging system so people can tag photos they upload of other people and it not only links to the subjects profile but is added to an album on that persons profile. I trust that won't be abused...