The Fat and the Furious (reposted)

maltesefalcon

Meanwhile at Ian’s office Jean or “Jeannie” Tompkins tidied up her desk, in anticipation of lunch, with mixed emotions. Good, because she enjoyed spending time with her new boss. Some of these lunches had turned into afternoon outings at a local hotel. Hey, it was easier than working. On the other hand... She stood and surveyed herself in the mirror, noting the damage that had occurred to her figure as a result of a few too many trips to the buffet.

She had hired on right out of community college with a sylph-like 100 pound figure of 30-24-32. She looked in the mirror of the waiting room and sighed. Now she was 35 pounds bigger, a sad reality that her bulky clothing did not hide. She was happy to have a few curves at first. Couple months back, she’d jumped for joy, when her mother advised her that for the first time she actually needed a bra for support, rather than a fashion accessory. She looked down at the 3 pound lumps on her chest-now swollen to D cups and 5 inches bigger around. Pushing them up slightly, she smiled as she eyed the even deeper cleavage her “man-magnets” created. It gave her a simultaneous feeling of femininity and power. Even this bra was beginning to pinch though. She’d measure herself tonight-probably need to get a 36 anyway.

For a fleeting instant, she thought the extra expense was worth the way men gawked at them, especially in tight, low cut sweaters. Hmm maybe even bigger? Few more pounds she’d be a 38 DD…vixen territory. But there was a trade off. Her butt was getting softer-too soft in fact. She hated the way its now 37 inch girth stuck out and jiggled as she walked. She felt everyone was staring at her all the time. Already she was wearing opaque panty hose and longer skirts to hide the cellulite developing on her upper thighs and bum. It made her feel...old.

Her mother had tried to calm her, saying she’d been unnaturally thin and it was her body just developing the figure a normal 20-year-old should have. But her mother was fat, over 300 pounds and at 5-1” tall, nearly globular in shape. Not exactly a neutral observer for sure?

Already Jeannie was developing into an apple shape. Her belly was 8 inches bigger around and it stuck out past her boobs, even when she was standing and sucking it in. Her arms had puffed up along with her neck and the chubbier cheeks gave her a bloated feeling all the time. She was worried she’d end up looking like the ball of blubber her mom had become. Even more alarming, her mother’s belly hadn’t been this big until she was thirty and after three pregnancies!

The young receptionist was more worried the additional weight would curtail the extracurricular activities she had enjoyed so far. Ian had not said anything yet but last weekend she’d been careful to undress in the dark as much as she could, so he couldn’t see how much damage had occurred. She’d bring the subject up tonight after work. She’d start Jennie Craig tomorrow! This would be their last lunch-for a while at least. Truer words were never spoken.

Meanwhile Steph had positioned herself around the corner from Ian’s office. Like clockwork he spilled out onto the street for lunch. But he was not alone. Ian had her office replacement on his arm. No scratch that- the pair were holding hands and he was pawing her ass, as he snuck a kiss on the cheek. Looks like he was looking for a more permanent arrangement there, too.

Time to focus on the task at hand. She still had her office keys and hoped Ian hadn’t changed the locks. She was relieved that he had not, and was in and out in less than five minutes, mission accomplished. The exertion and excitement had sent her pulse racing. She puffed ungracefully and found a shady hidden spot outside, to rest and wait.

When Ian and his female companion came back 45 minutes later, they found a young woman waiting outside the door. Jeannie asked “Help you miss?”

The visitor was Lupe. Ian did not recognize her at first, but was practically salivating at the sight of her. The illusion was broken as she spoke.”I need to speak weeth Dr. Monroe, por favor.”

The other young woman smiled a bit, thinking Lupe was actually a hooker. “You don’t look like a patient and I don’t recall seeing you before. Do you have an appointment, Miss…?”

Ian took over. “It’s okay Jeannie. Lupe is my housekeeper, although she doesn’t dress like this at home...” He glared at her and added. “You should not be here. Who’s looking after the baby?”

“Oh, he ees fine Doctor. Senora Fortier hab heem.” That much was true. “Senora Monroe geeve me rest of day op. So I cong see jou. I nee’ to talk to jou-please. Ees eemportant.”

They went into the office and “Jeannie” looked at the calendar. “You have Mrs. Gregson at 1:30…”

Ian waved her off. “This won’t take long.” Opening the office door he beckoned Lupe in. He could have had a meeting with the President at 1:30 and that would not have deterred him from getting a longer look at this…development. Once the door was closed, he smiled a bit in anticipation, but his eyes narrowed as well. “What is this about?”

“Please Doctor, we don’ habe moch time. I nee’ to talk to jou abou’ las’ nigh’. My Eenglish no so good so you need to esplain wha’ happen.”

He shrugged “Nothing happened.”

She reddened a bit and corrected. “Senor jou cong in my room uni’vite’ and grab me nake’-try to kees me. To jou that may be nothin’-no’ to me.”

He laughed a bit. “Just a little harmless fun. What’s the big deal?”

“When jou grab me jou say jou want me for wife, and deeborce Senora Stephanie. True jes?”

He sighed. “I was caught up in the moment, but what you say is essentially true.”

“Essen… sorry no comprende. Were jou serious? Jou scare me.”

“Not sure then but looking at you now, I’m deadly serious. You clean up real nice, you know.”

Lupe shivered a bit and asked “So wha’ ees eet jou espec’ frong me?”

Ian pondered and answered. “I expect you to do as you are told.” He walked over and ran his hands over her torso once more, poking her a few times. “Oh yes you will do nicely. You know the kind of woman I prefer-the kind you are going to become.  Here’s what you are going to do. I will give you a diet plan and some weight goals to follow. I expect you’ll gain oh, 20-30 pounds a month to start with. I can help-there’s medications.”

“Doctor Monroe I don’ wan’ to do thees…”

Ian sneered. “Look at you-you already well on the way. And you come in here dressed like that? You’re practically offering yourself on a plate.”

Lupe wrinkled her nose. “Que? Sorry no comprende…”

“No matter. You get the idea.”

She backed away a bit and asked. “And Senora Monroe?”

“Screw her. I hoped getting a housekeeper would keep fattening her up more, but even that is not helping lately.”

“Doctor Monroe she ees already bery plump. She hab trouble walking songtines. Maybe she nee’ to estop.”

“I will be the judge of that. No, I lost control of her once she had that squirt. You, on the other hand. I’ll bet we can get you over 1000 pounds easy. And you’ll do it gladly.”

Lupe began to well up. “I don’ theen I weel like tha’. No, I won’ do eet.”

“Fine” he added. “I can make one phone call and you’ll be in an immigration cell in the hour. Up to you.”

Lupe prodded “So eef I do thees for jou-wha’ then?”

Ian laughed. “Well if you live up to your end, I’ll make you the next Mrs. Monroe. Until then… how about a little sample?”

“Wha’ do jou mean?”

“I mean get that stuff off. If I’m going to devote all this effort to you, I want to see if you’re worth it. I’ve already fattened up one frigid bitch. Time for your first performance review. Now hurry up!”

“Jou wan’ me to hab sex weeth jou here? Now?”

“Of course. I’ll call Jeannie. Mrs Gregson can wait a bit…”

“Tha’ weel no be necessary Doctor. I theen I hab heard enoff.”

She stormed out of the room and past the waiting Mrs Gregson. Opening the outer door she waved. “Eet’s ober cong on een.”

Ian blanched when Stephanie waddled in. “Surprised to see me honey?”

Ian stammered “In my office-now please. I can explain this.”

Steph entered and as she passed Jeannie glared at her-“Oh please do try. I need a little entertainment.”

Ian rushed in and before he could close the door Steph walked over to the bookshelf and picked up the mini video camera. Ian held out his hand. “Give me that.”

“Sure honey no problem. There’s no tape to erase. It’s a webcam. Video is in a safe web space. I’ll have my lawyer call yours. Oh by the way, you better have cash to pay him. I cleaned out the accounts. Don’t even think about coming home tonight. Locks are changed and the video should be enough for a TRO.” Opening the door and turning to leave she added icily. “Maybe your office whore can put you up for a few nights.”

Jeannie now jumped in. “Now just a minute-who the hell are you to…”

Steph pointed a finger at her “Sit. I am his wife, that’s who. Oh and I’m also the future. Take a good look honey. I was smaller than you, when we met. Now look at me. Ian likes women with a little more padding than you have-surprised he hired you at all, come to think of it. Now that he’s struck out with Lupe and I’m onto him, he’ll try to feed you up next. Surprised he hasn’t gotten you onto his little gravy train already.”

The defeated look on Jeannie’s face betrayed all.”Aaaah. Hit a nerve eh? That skirt and sweater do look a bit old-fashioned for a girl your age. Popping out of your clothes already? My guess-you borrowed that outfit-from someone older.”

“My mom. Didn’t fit her any more…”

“News flash honey, they don’t fit you either. You’re getting fat.”

Looking at the wool pencil skirt and sleeveless pullover Jeannie stammered. “I didn’t think anyone would notice. This is size 4 already and I used to wear a 0. Mom doesn’t have any nice stuff in 6 because…”

“That’s when she stopped caring what she looked like. Doesn’t matter, you’re probably going to be an eight soon anyway. Month, tops. Keep your cheque book handy.”

Jeannie opened up a bit in spite of the situation. “It’s not just the money. Actually I was more worried… “Then she stopped in mid-thought.

“That he would lose interest.” Steph laughed heartily in spite of the situation.”Obviously, he hasn’t told you the whole story.”

Taking a moment to size her up Steph asked “Let me ask-when you first started how much did you weigh? You said size zero-100 pounds maybe?” Silence, but the lack of a denial meant she was on the right track.

“Then he started taking you out for lunch. First once a week, but quickly it escalated to every day. You started to put on a few so you tried to beg off.”

A quiet nod.

“Then he upped the ante. Business meetings, with a third party so you’d feel obligated to go. All over lunch or dinner and the pounds piled on right?”

“How did you know?” Jeannie was turning white with shock.

“Are you blind? Because I’ve been there honey, and fell for it hook line and sinker. He even got me pregnant, when he was engaged to someone else. Still feel bad about that.  How much you gain already?”

“35 pounds” was the answer. “Nothing fits anymore. I need to get this off…”

“Oh that’s nothing-if not for our little pantomime act today he’d gotten another 20 or so, on you before you really resist. But then you’ll be past the point of no return, so he’ll “confess” his intentions to make you feel better. Sooner or later he’ll tell you he likes his women big. Really big.”

“I’ll give Ian credit for finding the right “candidates” though. Before you are too quick to blame him for everything I think you need to look deep inside. No one held you down and force fed you. Every morsel went down willingly and with a certain amount of pleasure, I imagine. I know-I’ve been there. I ate whatever he gave me, but I convinced myself it was just generosity and I was scared to offend him. In reality I need to face the fact I’m a food junkie. The only thing holding me back was the thought if I got too big, I’d lose him. Once he confessed I had no brakes and this is the result.

Jeannie sat gape mouthed. “This can’t be happening.” The chastened receptionist then slumped in her chair as the truth came out.

“Oh it gets better. Guess you weren’t progressing fast enough. But unless you’re really committed, you might as well pack it in now. You’ve only gained 35 pounds in the same time I gained 200. I’m over 600 pounds but it’s still not enough. So he moved on.”

“It took me a while to see it, but he’s no good honey. Not content to cheat on me with you, he’s trying to cheat on you, with my nanny. Don’t like your chances either. She’s not even trying to gain weight and she still put 10 more pounds on, than you. Now that you know the whole game plan, if you are still interested, you can have him. Next conversation he and I have will be with our attorneys present. If not, get out while you still can.”

That was enough for Mrs Gregson, who did just that, muttering light expletives the whole way. Jeannie recovered her composure long enough to slap Ian across the face. Gathering her belongings, she stormed out too. Try as he might Ian could not resist a last look at her plump rear, wiggling down the hall in hurried indignation. He sighed at what might have been.

Steph returned her to the present. “So that’s the first part of the story…”

Helen sighed. “Men. So you’re finished now. But the divorce settlement should have…”

“Oh I’m not finished yet. The story gets better. I smelled a rat with this Jeannie. He tried it on her and look what happened to me. I got in touch with Naomi, the girl whose place I took. Ian told me she’d moved away. She hadn’t, but she had a restraining order out against him. When I contacted her, she told me the truth. She’d been a bit thinner than I was when I started. But about six months in, she started to fill out-and quickly. In two months she gained 50 pounds.”

Helen rolled her eyes. “Ian…”

“No. You don’t get it. Ian had nothingto do with it. Not at first. She was getting fat on purpose all right; her husband talked her into it. He’d strayed with someone else who was more your size and she thought it might save their marriage. Anyway Ian couldn’t help but notice and she told him the whole story. She got bigger and then things changed. The process awakened something in Ian he never realized, he liked it, too. In fact he was becoming obsessed with bigger women.”

Helen interrupted. “You know now that you mention it I noticed a change in him about 8 months before he hired you. He kept trying to push me to go out for dinner. I thought it was because I was away so much. When he first started his practice, his receptionist was old enough to be my mother. We got on quite well. Then she retired and Naomi came onto the scene. To be honest I felt threatened by a younger woman having more time in the day with him than I did. It turns out I had good reason.”

Steph blushed at that, but did not respond.

Helen looked down at the belly she had now and sighed. “My line of work you tend to put on weight. Once I gained a couple pounds, I worked hard to stay trim, for him. Once you both started to fill out I felt relieved. In fact in Naomi’s case, I actually helped. I found out she had a sweet tooth and kept sending goodies over. She never refused or said anything, so I just kept it up. You know if he’d just told me maybe…”

Steph felt a bit uncomfortable so took over. “In Naomi’s case you both were involved to some extent. Pretty quick he went from innocent bystander to observer to active participant. He started taking her out for long lunches-you know the rest. Eventually he confessed his feelings and began to make inappropriate advances. She left finally, when it got out of hand. She was nearly 300 pounds by then. Don’t know if it was the physical change or the threat by another man, but anyway her marriage…Well they have two kids now and they’re still together.”

“Then there was me. I stayed in the apartment for a few weeks, but without Ian’s income couldn’t pay the bills. Even uncontested divorces take time and Ian knew exactly how to play the system. I moved in with my Mom and Dad and he took the place back. I couldn’t afford Lupe any more, and besides I had my mom, so we had to let her go. Felt bad about that.”

Anyway couple weeks ago I went by because he was ignoring my messages, so I went over to see if I could talk some sense into him.Guess who answered the door?”

We flash once again to an angry Steph, who kept repeating to herself. Get to the point-just get him to sign and get out. She had a preliminary separation agreement with her. If he signed it, they could work out child support and custody arrangements.

The door was opened not by Ian, but another familiar figure-somewhat at least.

She smirked. “Oh Senora eets jou. I thought jou were the pizza guy. I am starve’”

Steph failed to conceal her shock and stammered “L-Lupe? What in hell are you doing here?”

“Righ’ now I jam waitin’ por my pizza. He ees late again.” She shook her head and clucked impatiently.”Jou wan’ to cong in?”

Steph shook her head. “No I don’t think so. Lupe what happened to you?”

This comment was directed at her rapidly expanded frame. In a short time, she had gained another 75 pounds, now measuring a staggering 52FF-48-55. Every bit of that growth was evident, as she only had a bikini on. From the looks of it, she’d bought it 20 or so pounds back.

“Oh thees. I get a beet patter. Jou notice eh?”

Steph rolled her eyes. “Who wouldn’t. What are you up to?”

Lupe now grinned slyly.  “I thin’ I like Ian long tine ago.  An’ he like me too. We talk lots like I say. Tell about how he like Gordita-what jou do por him so he lob jou.”

“He as’ me help; patten jou up more and more, but I theenk. Maybe no. I estop with jou and do me, he like me better. It work. Jou are bery estupido Senora.  Jou no see truth. Jou already know he like beeg girl and no say anytheeng or get worry when I get pat.

Steph gasped at the realiation-she was right.

“Jou even help me. Leetle play act, so you leave heem. Dress me op like puta-you trap work too good. He ees mine apter that. No’ my plan, but work perfect.”

Steph was now livid. “Are you saying he never came in your room…”

“Oh no Senora. Eet happen. But I want heem that nigh’.  So moch I almos’ ask him stay and make lob weeth me. But thees plan better. I get him por lober and husban’ once jou sign diborce. Jus’ wait por papers, then I am wipe ob reech man and American citizen. Good por me no?”

Steph crossed her arms and tried to keep calm. “Lupe, look how fat you’re getting. He’s not worth it.”

Lupe snickered. “Conging fro’ jou that ees fonny.” It was odd seeing that Steph outweighed her by hundreds of pounds. But she didn’t find it the least bit funny.

Lupe waved off her concerns. “I don’ care ‘bout how pat I get, I start to like it. Jou try leeve like me por cople years see how jou like. This part jour fault por pire me. Maybe no cong here with Ian eef I hab home and job. Once I am gone I mos’ theen’ fas’. No Green Card, no home, no money. I theen’ of day jou dress me like puta-maybe do por real. But street is dangerous place por woman. Or I can starve back home, maybe stay here, change poopy diaper por $100 a week.”

“Eenstead I take chance and call Ian. He happy to hab me here, long as I do what he say. Easier por heem, when he no hab to use trick por me to get beeger. I jus’ lay aroun’ all day. Watch teebee. No work. No worry. Jus’ eat, nap and get pat as I wan’. So I do.

“Good lober too. We hab sex songtines 3-4 tines a day. Ian eben geeb me special needle. No hab baby and help gain faster.

Steph wondered at that. “Depoprovera. No kids. Thought you’d like that.”

“No right now. Sick of baby cry and poopoo. Ian want me por me. No because of baby.” That was a shot at her, which had some element of truth. Steph always wondered herslef if Ian would have had the guts to leave Helen, if not for the baby.

Steph cautioned. “Sooner or later he’ll get sick of you and cast you off.”

Lupe shrugged. “Maybe-but not por couple years, til I can no get any beeger.  I get diborce money and still hab green card. Better than bepore. So far only one who toss me away when they are done weeth me ees…jou Senora. Now escuse me.  Ian say no marry unteel I am 150 kilo, and I hurry een case he change mind. Try to gain 30 thees month and jou wast’ my time.”

A rustle behind her indicated there was another witness present. “It was the pizza guy.”

“Sorry ma’am-traffic.” He had three large pizzas. She signed for them saying “Bring four tomorrow.”

The pizza man eyed Steph and asked “Maybe I should bring them now if she’s staying…”

Before Steph could snap at his impertinence Lupe cut in. “No chee ees jus’ leebing.”  He left shaking his head at the spectacle. Lupe stood there holding the pizzas. “So anythin’ else?”

Steph shook her head.” I had some papers for Ian, but I’ll call him.”

The door closed and Steph stormed home.

Helen stood gaping at this revelation. “Oh my God. That little bitch!”

“Hey you warned me about it-remember. Should have seen what was happening though. I noticed she was getting bigger, but didn’t worry that Ian would. Besides what could I do, at that time I was hovering around 600, could hardly fire her for being fat, right?”

“Bitch should have gotten the academy award, for that little acting stunt, the day she tried to quit. I really did hand Ian to her on a silver platter. Even dressed her for the part.”

“Anyway I knew they couldn’t get married without a divorce, so I stalled now. Then somehow Lupe was out of the picture. Seems someone called immigration on her, after all. She was back home next day. From what I hear she put up a pretty good fight to get her on the plane.”

Helen rolled her eyes. “Hmm wonder who could that have been? So, are you seeing anybody?”

Steph laughed. “Of course not. Look at me! Besides the baby takes up so much of my time and now I’m looking for a new job. Who has time for a love life?”

Helen nodded. “Join the club. I think I’m out of the picture for a while anyway.” She smacked her butt sharply and sighed. “I promised Roberta I’d stay like this for a year or two. Then once I get this off, I’m going to put myself back on the market.”

Steph looked her over saying with a somewhat ironic tone “Oh sure-you’ll be back to your old self in no time. Piece of cake.” She didn’t want to broach the subject that it was not likely to happen or she’d have to admit it to herself as well.

Helen laughed. “Bad choice of words.  Actually a lot of this is from cake. Ohhhh I can just taste it now. She snapped back to reality to ask “And whatever became of Jeannie?”

“Who knows? We never saw her again. She can go to hell, for all I care.”

We flash back once more to get the answer…

Jeannie was livid, as she’d hit the street but calmed down a bit on the bus ride home. She got off part way, to stop at the thrift shop. Now that she was likely unemployed, she needed to upgrade her wardrobe to size 6, at least temporarily. She couldn’t go for an interview, popping out of her clothes like this.

She sighed, as she perused the racks looking for the magic match of something appropriate, in her new size and in her price range. Twice she looked up to see a fortyish man giving her the once over. She was a bit concerned and was about to confront him, when he made the first move. “Hello Miss. Sorry, for staring at you. What must you think of me?  Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Allan Lessing. I couldn’t help noticing that outfit was shall we say, not quite adequate for you. If you are buying something else, I wonder if you’d sell your stuff to me.”

Jeannie sneered at him. “Really, well it won’t fit you either Dorothy. Look pal, I’ve had a bad day. Last thing I need is some perv…”

“Dorothy?” He knew exactly what that comment meant. Allan blushed. “Sorry, you don’t understand. I’m a producer; I’m looking for stuff for a musical. Hairspray. Ever heard of it?”

Jeannie shrugged. “Sort of. Never seen it though. Not my style.”

Allan pushed the minor insult aside. “Anyway, that outfit would be an excellent addition to my wardrobe collection. There’s nothing vintage here, today. Tell you what, if you give me that stuff; I’ll spring for 3 more contemporary outfits here and say, 100 bucks.”

Jeannie relaxed and smiled. “It’s just as easy to say $200. Do that, and it’s a deal.”

Allan snickered. “It’s a nice outfit but not that nice. 100 bucks; and since I noticed you came on the bus, I’ll get you a cab home.”

Jeannie nodded. “Deal.”  She picked out her items and when she handed the old ones over, Allan asked. “Maybe you’d be interested? I haven’t filled the part of Tracy Turnblad yet. You have the right look. Can you sing?”

Jeannie nodded. “A little. I was in Glee Club in high school and the church choir.”

Allan handed her a card. “It’s on the up and up. If you have time for a coffee, I’l l explain.”

“I don’t know…” Jeannie had heard stories of girls falling for lines like this and no good had come of it.

The salesgirl having overhead said  “Go for it, honey. I know him-he’s harmless.”

Jeannie shrugged “Okay.”

“Coffee” turned out to be a couple drinks, then dinner at a four star restaurant. Jeannie made the most of it. She polished of the Surf and Turf Special, a Waldorf salad, escargots and three desserts, before she pushed the plate away. In between, Allan had explained the details of the show. The young woman relaxed, realizing this was the real thing. Allan was a genuinely nice gentleman and had no ulterior or romantic interests in her at all. She massaged her full belly, thinking it was to blame for his disinterest, and wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or disappointed. If she couldn’t get a rise out of this old fart what hope would she have with men her own age? Like she had said before, this blubber needed to come off. Diet starts tomorrow!

Allan was equally impressed with her enthusiam, not just for the job. This girl could eat, judging from her current figure and she showed no signs of shyness about it. He’d be careful how he played his hand this time. Last two prospects had quit immediately, once they realized the true nature of their stage character. Handing Jeannie a card through the cab window he pleaded. “Come tomorrow night for an audition. Just to be up front. It’s not Broadway-just a small road tour. But it’ll be fun and maybe it’ll lead elsewhere.”

It did lead elsewhere. Because she was unfamiliar with the material; Allan allowed her to audition with songs from The Sound of Music and High School Musical.  Jeannie was a terrific singer and won the part hands down. Allan asked her.” I was worried when I asked you to play Tracy. Some women might have taken offence. I’m glad you’re okay with it.”

“Okay with what?”

Allan sighed and said to himself. Here we go. “So you haven’t watched any of the film or any clips? I thought maybe the lyrics would be a hint.”

“No. Hint to what?”

Allan knew it was too late to back out of the conversation now. Hoping that Jeannie was psychologically locked into a commitment, Allan confided. “Sorry there is one thing I forgot to mention. I picked you because you had a certain look. I thought you knew already. The character of Tracy is just a bit on the plumper side, and her size is part of the plot flow. Here let me show you.”

Moving to a nearby laptop, he opened up a few YouTube clips of the movie. Jeannie shrieked and looked at Allan. “Oh my God, she’s enormous-I can’t play her!”

Allan rolled his eyes.  “Relax honey. That’s Edna, the mother. Tracy comes in shortly.”

“Oh. Sorry.” Jeannie heaved a sigh of relief at that, but it was premature. When Tracy did appear, the reaction was little better.

Staring intently at the chubby little starlet’s performance, Jeannie reddened slightly. “Wait a minute...you think I look like her?” The young woman knew she was- let’s say not exactly thin; but any mention of it was not welcome at this point. But there was no way she looked that heavy. What was the point of arguing, she looked towards the door, as a release from embarrassment; but something told her to at least let him have his say.

Allan wondered if he had blown it-again, and waited for her to finish. Instead, the now sulky Jeannie sat stone faced so he pressed on. “Maybe if I could explain fully, it will be easier. Physically, you’re too petite for the role, at least how it’s been portrayed in the past. But we can overcome that small detail.”

Jeannie sighed and stroked the soft belly flab taking up half her lap. Expecting the worst, she interrupted again. “I should have known this setup was too good to be true. Let me see if I can guess. You need me to put on weight right? What is it with you men? You just admitted you hired me because you think I’m fat. Now you tell me you still think I’m fat, just not fat enough.”

“What? No, of course not!” Alan assured. “You’re fine for the most part. We will need to use some padded protheses to bulk your costume up though. You already have a nice round face and plump arms. That’s more important, so it will appear natural. Unlike Hollywood, we can’t use appliances on exposed skin, the audience is too close and it shows up on stage. I was just warning you, because it may feel a bit uncomfortable at first-and hot under the lights. Some women don’t like the look of being bigger; even if it is artificial. Just wanted to make sure; before it was too late. We good?”

She found the remark about her features a bit offensive; but was relieved that she would not have to gain any more weight. In fact, she was too thin. “We’re good I guess. This padding-just how big will it be?”

Allan sloughed it off. “I don’t know really. Makeup/wardrobe department will handle the overall picture. That’ll be a while yet. In the meantime just get your lines down pat and keep practicing the songs.”

The bubble was burst somewhat by the rejoinder. “Just make sure you don’t go backwards. The padding only goes so far.” He reached over and patted her belly while offering her a candy bar. “Sorry if I speak bluntly, you have to admit you actually are a little on the zaftig side. If you weren’t, I wouldn’t have noticed and approached you. I hired you for that figure, so you’ll need to make sure you keep it.”

She made the mistake that night of mentioning it to her mother, who had seen the show, therefore knew exactly what was expected of her daughter. She secretly vowed to make sure Jeannie would pass inspection. As it turned out, her efforts would not be needed.

Next day “Tracy” met her “other mother” the lady who would play Edna Turnblad. Allan had gone against the flow in casting a woman; but wanted to maintain tradition in one other way. The role of Edna was a hugely fat woman and Regina Davis was not quite there. She’d been cast six months ago at 250 pounds and told she needed to bulk up for the role. It was a task she took to with enthusiasm, and there was scarcely a restaurant or fast food palace in her home town of Lima Ohio, that she was not on a first name basis with by now. She’d eat sometimes 6-7 meals a day and sent her husband out for pizza at ten every night. The results were predictable, but lacking a bit.

Her present weight of 325 pounds was nothing to sneeze at, but she had a weight stipulation in her contract to stay at 350 minimum. Regina had the reputation of being somewhat of a diva; so Allan stuck to the letter of the deal, to let her know her boundaries. He insisted on having those 25 pounds and asked Jeannie to help out.

“Look” he asked. “I need you to spend some time with her. You’ll grow closer and it wil enhance your mother-daughter chemistry on stage. Just make sure she doesn’t...slack off. We need to get those 25 pounds on her by dress rehearsal in 3 weeks or her costumes won’t fit. Too late to get someone else.  Please Jeannie I’m desperate can I count on you?”

Somewhat amused Jeanne asked. “Let me understand you. You want me to fatten her up?” She laughed at the irony, the source of which Allan would be unaware.

“Well sort of, I guess. Just press her a bit to go out-linger a bit longer over the buffet. Keep her company. Judging from her figure and habits so far, I think we can count on her to do the rest.”

“Why don’t you just pad her up, like you will with me?”

Allan was prepared for that logic. “You are sharp, I’ll give you that. In Reggie’s case, this is a battle of wills, not weight. You’ll understand once you’ve been on the road a while. You are a novice, and frankly easy to replace if you get…difficult.  No offence meant.”

“None taken I’m sure, but you need to work on your people skills if you want a favour. Even from a novice.”

Allan shrugged it off.  “I meant I need to show her who is boss. Reggie is a name actress and if I let her take liberties before we start, she’ll be uncontrollable by on the road. She’ll think she’s less expendable than me; unfortunately she’ll be right. I gave you your big break, I’m asking you to return the favour-for everyone.”

Jeannie smiled at the chance to do a role reversal. Careful not to appear too eager she offered. “Okay I’ll do it.”

The ploy had the desired outcome. To be sure, Regina made the grade with time to spare. It also really did help the two to bond, and Jeannie i stopped thinking of this as a chore. Regina had no daughters of her own and basically adopted the neophyte.

However the side effects were even better. Jeannie had stuck to Regina like glue; to ensure her charge gorged herself all day with fatty fries, bacon burgers, shakes and donuts. Most nights, they went out for buffet for dinner too. Of course, it would have looked odd if Jeannie had sat back with mineral water and crackers, so she did likewise.

Like Jill, Jeannie noticed that her efforts were having a spillover effect. She’d put on a few pounds as a result; but was having so much fun, it didn’t concern her. Her mother had also contributed, adding larger helpings at home and making sure the house was full of tempting goodies for her to munch on. She also donated all the rest of Jeannie’s work clothes to the show; making sure the replacements she bought from the thrift shop, were progressively larger and labelless.

Dress rehearsal day. The dresser told her to slip on the first dress for a trial fit. “Wait what about the padding? I’m supposed to have some kind of body suit underneath right?”

Her exasperated fitter said “I have done this before, honey.  Just try it first and we’ll see where we need to bulk it out.”

With some exertion, Jeannie barely got the dress on. She looked at April, the dresser and offered. “This is too small. You ordered up the wrong size. I’m a size 6. This must be 4. I can hardly breathe in it.”

April countered. “Size 10 they asked for and that’s what we brought. Sorry honey, the dress is right-it’s you that’s the wrong size. I’m an 8 and you got at least 15 pounds on me.”

Jeannie waited for that to sink in. “Size...ten?” She’d never been that big. And even that was too tight. The realization hit her like a sledge hammer. She ran to the mirror to check out the situation. Her cheeks had puffed out some, but not a great deal. But the dress gave away the rest of the plot. Up top the cotton gingham overflowed with her DD’s, now overcompressed, the 39 inches of boobflesh crammed into it and spilling out the top. She lifted them and stood slackjawed, not realizing as her mother had subbed out her underwear and regular clothes as she’d grown. The skirt of the dress was a generous cut but still pinched near the top as her hips tested the burst limit. But her stomach had grown the most, up 9” to 41, making her look almost pregnant.

Denial returned quickly with Allan walking by, as she readjusted the material, desperate to make it fit better, especially over her belly. “Hmm. Looks like we overdid the padding, I guess. No problem April can take some out…”

Jeannie snarled a bit. “Lot you know. This “padding” is all me. This is your fault, you know. Reggie’s costume fits perfect; but your little scheme’s backfired. All that socializing I did with her, couldn’t help but rub off on me too. Now I’m too fat to fit into mine!”

Jeannie welled up and pouted as the dresser rolled her eyes skyward. “If I don’t go on a diet I’ll have to quit. It’s not fair…” It was true-and obvious, 35 added pounds had her bulging out of everything already.

Allan had failed to mention that Nikki Blonksy had gained 30 pounds on her 4’-10” frame to play Tracy, and he needed Jeannie to follow suit. He hoped his new protégé would be unable to resist the temptation to follow in her “mothers” eating habits. In fact she’d nearly doubled the 20 extra pounds he’d hoped for. This girl could eat and she was not the least bit shy about it. He could barely conceal his delight with feigned concern. “Oh…yes. Well don’t worry dear; you won’t lose your part because of my...miscalculation. April here is a whiz with alterations. We can let it out. He took her aside. You have others?”

“ Oh yes size 12 just like you ordered.”

“Good. Not too many-though. Better get some 14s on the back burner. Pretty sure they’ll come in just in the nick of time.”

Jeannie surprised herself by being less concerned about her overall appearance, than she was about losing her role. Once that hurdle was overcome, she succumbed to temptation once again. Allan found out she had a particular fondness for frosted cupcakes and ensured there was always a few at hand. They never lasted long, though, soon joining the parade of fast food and snacks into her ever swelling belly. By the first performance 2 weeks later, she was tipping the scales at 185 pounds. Her attitude had changed as well, partly because she’d found a new mentor, who made her 41E-44-44 figure look like Twiggy.

Like her real mother she’d also reached a critical mass, literally. Even she had to admit she was no longer pleasingly  plump, zaftig, Rubnenesque, chubby, curvy or any of the other euphemisms people used to describe women her size. She looked at her expanded frame in the mirror and sighed. Face it girl you’re officially fat already, and if I gain any more I’ll just be fatter, what’s the difference? However unlike her mother, who’d abandoned caring about her appearance, she realized that she was not unattractive as a result. Her cast peers complemented her on her looks everyday, so the crisis passed.

Reggie had offered support too. She advised Jeannie to bury herself in the role, essentially becoming Tracy full time. She wore the same outfits off duty and the change in attitude worked. It was not Jeannie who was gaining weight and enduring the occasional stare or rude comments. It was Tracy, who in her mind didn’t really exist.

Not only that, she had to admit to herself that Steph was right all along. She really did have a food fetish and only societal pressure to be Hollywood thin had kept her in line for most of her life. Now she was starting to enjoy the guilt free licence to eat and get as big as she wanted. It was easier without the peer pressure because her crowd expected-no demanded it. She obliged them by stuffing herself at every opportunity.

Jeannie grew into the role as the company toured.  Literally. By the one year anniversary she was at 264 and 49FF-64-52. No one cared that she was catching up to her “mother” who’d grown to 399 herself. The show made money and the extra costumes were a minor inconvenience.

Jeannie left the show midway through the second year to have a baby and get married. In that order. She moved to Denver and settled down into the routine of a fat and happy housewife. Not content to abandon acting altogether she made a good living in the odd movie role, usually bit parts or cameos of… a fat and happy housewife.

10 years later the show had a revival and Jeannie was invited to participate. She was too old to play Tracy, but her now 460 pound body made an impact as the new Edna Turnblad. That was her swan song and she faded into the background to enjoy her life.

Steph ended the discussion about the past fittingly. “About the affair- I am truly sorry about the way things ended for you. I never really made any moves to Ian until he said it was over. He lied to me…”

Helen took her hand. “Don’t be. You were right about one thing that day. I wasn’t there for him was I? I left the door open. Can’t blame you for walking in.” Then she snorted. Guess Ian missed on the jackpot eh? If he could see me, now.”

Then she thought. “If he has a tv he probably will. Oh God, Roberta will kill me.”

“Steph it’s been nice catching up. If you will excuse me?”

Steph had regained her composure enough to ask. “What about my job application?”

Before she could answer Helen’s phone rang. “It was Roberta. Where are you?”

“I’m still in the store. Why?”

“I think you know why. Are you near a tv?” It was hard to tell but Roberta didn’t sound too upset.

“Yes there’s one right here.”

“Good turn on channel 6.”

The noon news was about to wrap but the closing colour segment began:

“What began as a simple store opening ended up in a reunion to end all reunions.” The vignette quickly introduced the store and then focussed on her and Stephanie. It went on to say. “What should have been a heavy weight slugging match, ended up as a reunion of former rivals and a textbook example of forgiveness.” It ended with the hug and the crowd clapping in response.

Roberta asked. “Still there?”

“Y-yes. About that. I’m sorry…”

Roberta laughed. “Don’t be. They’ll air that for days.  It’s  good publicity for the store and it speaks well of you, as both a person and employee. I’m proud of you.”

Helen sighed with relief. “I just had an idea. Meet me here in two hours. I need to bounce something off you.”

She looked at Steph “Do you have plans this afternoon?”

“Just job hunting. Mom’s got the baby, so I can keep looking.”

Helen smiled slyly. “Well stop looking. I think I found something for you. You can’t work in the store. Judging from your outfit, you don’t know much about ladies wear, anyway.”

Stephanie pouted. “It’s all I have and all I can afford.”

“Actually it’s perfect. Now let’s clean you up a bit.”

She outlined the plan and Steph began to smile. Helen made a few calls and they sat back waiting for the boss to arrive.

Roberta came in and asked what the problem was. After the introduction Helen began. “We’ve both been fortunate in our employment, but some others have not. I’m suggesting we start a store centred program; to help larger women without means; to get nice quality clothing by donation. Then, a makeover; to help them get back into the work force.

At first, Roberta was horrified. “Helen this stuff costs real money and we are just starting out…”

Helen said “No. I’m not suggesting we give this stuff away. We need to spread the donation out over more items.  It would cheapen the brand anyway. Sorry Steph. No offence.”

“None taken, I’m sure” as she wondered where this was going.

“Giving this stuff to women on the lower pay grades would be absurd. It’d be like working at Burger King and driving a Ferrari. I’m proposing we ask our clients to donate gently used; but good quality business clothing of their own, as a condition of membership. The store can add some accessories and maybe some counselling services. The makeovers I’ll look after out of my end. It’s not an original concept, but the publicity will be…”

Roberta said. “I’m sold. Girl, you are a genius. Can you make it happen?”

“Well, first one will be toughest. Steph will be our guinea pig. I’ve got some stuff that’ll fit her at home.”

Roberta offered. “I’ll make a few calls for the rest. Now, we need a makeover.”

“Let me see what I can do about that.” She searched in her purse and found a dog-eared business card. She hoped the cell number was still valid. The phone rang twice and Helen advised Leonard. “It’s Helen Weelse.”

There was a short pause. “I never expected to hear from you again. How are you?”

Helen cut him off. “I don’t have much time. Are you working right now?”

“Nope. The word’s out. I’m persona non grata, for now.”

“Good. How’d you like to work for me? Awful working conditions. Irregular hours. Frequent travel.”

“Sounds intriguing. What’s it pay?”

“Officially, nothing at all.”

“Well when you put it that way, how can I possibly refuse? When do I start?”

“Can you be here by 3pm?” Helen gave him the address.

“I’ll need cab fare at least.”

“I can spring for that. Bring your best stuff for makeup and hair. It’s for tv. Oh by the way there will be some pay. You need to show me what you can do.”

And so it began. Roberta called a friend at channel 6. “Remember that piece from this morning. How’d you like an exclusive? Good be here at 3 and don’t screw this up.”

Then she called a few markers in. “You go get your outfits. Rest of the stuff will be here in time.”

By three, a camera crew and experienced female reporter had arrived. They set up in the rear of the dressing room, now closed to the public. Leonard showed up, and the filming began as he did expertly her hair and makeup. While doing it, he showed her how to do some things herself. He handed her a colour chart and showed her makeup styles, for her particular facial shape. The finishing touch was setting and curling her strawberry blonde hair.

The camera switched off as he completed the finishing touches. “There. Now you just need the clothes. Can’t go to work in a dressing gown right?”

Janice took over, expertly choosing a dark blue skirt suit and matching scarf, shoes and purse.

They went into the dressing room and Janice gave her some tips on fit for her figure and lifestyle. Brushing her off Janice grabbed her hand and walked her out. “Your public awaits.”

Steph was crying a bit and Leonard admonished her a bit. “You’re wearing out my handiwork already. There.”

“Now all I need is a job.”

Helen stepped in.”I think I can fix that. My assistant is going on parental leave, very shortly. I know you are a good administrator. How’d you like to work for me? It’s not really my decision but I’m sure it will be fine.”

The crew closed the session with a close up of the two women hugging again. The opportunity over, they rushed out to the next job. Except for one, Catherine Tillson, the reporter hung back hoping for an interview and got an earful she hadn’t expected.

Helen walked over to Leonard who stood unusually silent. “Got a hug for an old friend?

He stood transfixed. “I didn’t even know you were here.”

“I know. I wanted to surprise you.”

He approached more subdued. “Well you did that. What happened to you?”

Helen shrugged. “I got fat. This is what a European vacation can do.”

He marvelled. No one gains that much just by going on vacation.”How much did you gain?”

Helen reddened a bit and rubbed her belly. “Little over 200 pounds.”  

Leonard still gawked.” If I didn’t see it myself. I wouldn’t have believed it was possible.”

She whispered quietly, but not quite quietly enough. “I had help. Wouldn’t have been able to, otherwise.”

He now couched his own voice, but again not quite enough. “Help? Are you telling me you wanted this, you did it on purpose? Why?”

Helen said “It’s a long story. Anyway enough about me. You are as good as I’d hoped. If you want, you have a job. We can discuss the details over dinner. On me.”

“Try and stop me.”

The reporter had overheard just enough, to set off her snoop radar. She mingled with the staff a few minutes and got Steph’s story in more detail, and a few snippets about her “saviour”. She smiled as she left. There was a lot more to this story and she’d get to the bottom of it.

Meanwhile Leonard and Helen caught up over dinner and Helen brought him up to speed.  She asked him why he never called her.

“Well he explained, it would have helped if you’d given me your number, too. I remembered where you worked but they said you were in Europe and wouldn’t give out any other info. I tried for a couple months and gave up.”

Helen felt bad about that oversight. “Where you staying now? Some friends in the village. Getting old though.”

Helen offered. “I am so grateful for your help and I feel guilty about the phone thing. I have to be down here first thing tomorrow, and it’s a long commute. I’m staying downtown. I’ll get you a room too.”

He hesitated.

“I insist. Besides I’ve got to bring a few outfits back with me. You can help carry them, if you feel guilty about taking advantage of my hospitality. Actually, I’d like you to come back here tomorrow. Maybe you can do up some of the staff here. They may know clothing, but I think they could use a few pointers on makeup.”

That was it. Helen invited him in for a nightcap. He made himself comfortable on the sofa. She said “Just a minute, while I slip into my dressing gown.” She came out instead, in her bra and panties, holding up a pink and a yellow outfit. She took turns placing one after the other over her form. “She asked which one do you like best?”

She held them out at arms length and he finally blurted. “The one in the middle actually.”

She giggled “Oh, you are awful. Of course, you’ve seen me naked.”

“Not like this I haven’t. And I’d like to see that again too.”

She suddenly felt very vulnerable as she asked. “Are you coming on to me…you can’t be serious?”

He smiled broadly and said “Never been more serious about anything in my life. You’re beautiful.”

She shook her head and approached closer. Lowering the outfits she stammered. “But you’re gay…”

He snickered. “Where’d you get that crazy idea? I’m not gay. Oh I get it, just because of my work…”

“I’m confused. You said you had a partner-some producer.”

“Yes. She has produced several tv series, of note. But like I said she’s moved on to younger stuff.”

“But on the island I wanted to…”

“I said you weren’t my type.  You made the assumption. My former lover was built like you, too. Well not that big. You are amazingly beautiful.”

“So, you didn’t find the old me attractive…you like this?”

“In spades. I always liked you. I just didn’t find you sexually attractive. I can tell you right now if you don’t put something on right now I won’t be able to control myself.”

“I see.” The clothes dropped to the floor followed quickly by the rest of her wardrobe. “I’m not asking you too.  Guess we won’t need that second room, after all.”

Roberta got an email from her reporter friend, just before lunch next day.

Important we talk. Soonest. Please respond asap.

Catherine Tillson

She responded

Sure how about 3 pm today. What’s it about.

I can’t say. I would suggest you have Helen available for a chat as well. This is a courtesy before I go to my editor so it’s up to you.

Roberta assumed it had something to do with the makeover story. She had never been so wrong. Catherine came in and shook hands. She looked around the office and said “Berta can we talk privately?”

“Sounds serious. Close the door. Coffee?

“Thanks. Black, please.”

The pleasantries exchanged, Roberta asked. “Kate what is this all about? You look worried.”

Kate sighed. “Frankly, I am a bit worried. We’ve been friends for 20 years, but now I’ve got an ethical dilemma. Stories can be buried at my discretion, but I’m duty bound to report any potential illegal activity…”

Roberta paled a bit. “I see. Maybe you better get to the point.”

“I have received information; that certain of your employees may have been threatened into changing their appearance, to keep their jobs.

Roberta didn’t bat an eye. “We do have a dress code here and from time to time, I have to enforce it, yes. I didn’t think I was breaking the law.”

Catherine rolled her eyes. “Okay if you want to play it that way fine. I’ll drag it out of you. I have information that Helen and someone named Karen Rogers were somehow coerced by you into gaining a lot of weight.”

“Coerced. You mean forced?”

Kate nodded. “If you want to put it that way.”

Roberta pointed out the door pane. “Look out there. They are all happy and smiling. Anyone look like they are here under duress?”

“The one I passed going down in the elevator didn’t look too happy.”

Roberta nodded. “Short, blonde, built like a light bulb?

A nod.

“Her boyfriend dumped her the other day. You’d be unhappy too. Despite that, she loves her job and still came to work today. I gave her a week off to unwind; but I can bring her back if you like…”

Catherine said “Maybe if I talk to the other two. Privately.”

“Use my office if you like.” She paged Helen and left the office. Helen saw the worried look on her face and as she entered and closed the door, got one of her own.

The reporter stood and shook hands. “Remember me from yesterday?”

Helen nodded. “Sure what’s this all about?”

“I was doing some background research for the makeover story, and I need to follow up a few things with you if it’s okay?”

“Off the record?”

“It’s for a broadcast Roberta agreed to air. I can’t promise that.”

Helen put on her serious face. “Sounds ominous. How can I help you?”

“Well it is difficult to start. Let me try to put it delicately. Perhaps you can tell me how you came to be in your present physical condition.”

The hair on her neck stood up as Helen realized where this was going. The best defence is a good offence. “Are you making fun of me because of my weight? Maybe you weren’t the best choice to cover the story…”

Catherine was a veteran interviewer and knew this ploy. She kept her cool but clarified. “No I’m not making fun of you. I’d just like to know how it happened.”

Helen shrugged. “No big mystery. I ate too much. That’s how it happens to everyone pretty much. Why are you thinking of giving it a try?”

Now the reporter became a little more aggressive. “Please don’t be coy and don’t waste my time. If you screw this up, I’m publishing the confirmed facts I have. It is only my friendship with Berta that prompted me to hear her side. She asked me to get it from you.”

Helen took it more seriously. “I’m sorry, I’m a little sensitive about my size.  Perhaps it would be better if you told me what you heard and I can confirm or deny it.”

“Fair enough. I overheard your conversation with the makeup guy-Leonard yesterday. That prompted me to do some research. I have it on good authority that you gained all that weight on purpose to get this job, and Roberta basically forced you into it.”

“Is that it?” Helen collected her thoughts. “Actually you are partially right. I did gain the weight as you say, on purpose. I had a fling while I was there. I started to party a bit too much and it piled on. Then this modelling guy offered me some work. I was surrounded by Plus-size women all day and well it just happened. I have some of the photo shoots and the check stubs if you like. It all happened in Italy anyway. I don’t see the relevance to Roberta.”

“So you are denying she wouldn’t have offered you the job, if you hadn’t done this?” Helen excused herself and came back a minute later with her signed contract. “Never mind my signature. Look at the date of hers. It was dated the day before she left for Europe. I can prove that I was no where near this weight at the time. Actually I turned her down twice, before I agreed to accept this job.” Helen had not technically lied, but was dangerously close to it. Long as you don’t cross the line girl.

Catherine paused. “Oh. I guess I’m done with you. Is Karen Rogers around?”

“I’ll get her.”

Catherine asked for privacy, but Karen insisted. “I’d rather she stayed if you don’t mind. I have nothing to hide from her.”

Karen came and to save time Catherine just started in. “Karen I need the truth. I have eyewitness accounts of Roberta forcing food on you, to fatten you up. Can you confirm or deny that?”

Karen shook her head. “Both I guess.” She was fast on her feet and could see where this was going too. She told her about wearing the prosthesis and the effect it had on her husband.

“So all this food Roberta brought in, was just to put on a little weight for him?”

“More or less. It was also to make it possible to have a family. I was too skinny to conceive. Worked too.”

“So the whole thing with her and Jill was just an elaborate ruse on your co-workers? Why?”

Karen shrugged. “Didn’t want them to know about Roy’s…preferences. It was a bit embarrassing. Also I figured I wouldn’t be teased, if it looked like it wasn’t my idea. Probably not the best plan. Especially since it didn’t work. Roberta had to send out a memo about it. I can copy you in if you want…”

Helen smiled. Karen was good.

Catherine still was not satisfied. “Can anyone else back up this ridiculous story?”

Karen reddened a bit. “Sorry if my life is a joke to you. Roy of course, but you’ll not believe him either. You can talk to my neighbour. She’s a sweet old lady, without a devious bone in her body. Let me warn you, though. You upset her and I’ll have my lawyer on you so fast…”

Helen stopped her. “I think we have answered your questions as best we can.” She opened the door and beckoned Roberta in.

“I want to say this in front of her. Roberta has been a friend, as well as a boss. I am very proud to know and work for her. Now all you really have is a story about two women who gained a bit of weight.  If you insist on printing this rubbish, we can’t stop you. Depending on the spin, it will likely cause the end of Exclus-Eve before it even begins. It will also mean the end of the makeover program, and the exclusive story you were given.”

Roberta crossed her arms. “If you do this, and cause the program to fail, it’ll be on your head. I guess I’ll have to give that exclusive to channel 4.”

Catherine knew that she had lost the argument. “Berta I know there is more here than meets the eye. I can also see that your staff truly sticks together, and they do love you. Whatever story is there, is not worth losing your friendship over. You win. I’ve seen the rough version of the makeover story though. You’ll like it. I can even talk to the station manager. Give you a few plugs in non network time for your effort.”

That’s the Kate I know and love. “Can we buy you a drink?”

She was about to say. Don’t push your luck, but declined gracefully. “Sorry deadline calls. Some other time?”

The minute the elevator door closed all three let out their breath. “That was close.”

Karen opined. “Guess I should phone Jill and warn her she might come over.”

Roberta laughed. “I think Kate knows when to quit. Would be funny to see, though. Mood Jill’s in today she’ll rip Kate a new one. Okay this topic is officially closed forever, and this conversation never happened.”

“What conversation?”, both of her companions chimed in.

“Now I need a drink. Who’s coming with?”

Helen begged off. “I have some work left and I’m meeting Leonard to review some makeovers.”

Roberta laughed. “It’s okay to have a life. You have a date. Just say it like that.”

Karen patted her belly. “Normally I’d say yes, but junior here is a bit under age. Rain check?”

“I’ll have a bottle of bubbly sent to you the day it’s born.”

Helen cautioned. “Might want to wait. They say the taste comes out in your milk…”

Karen scoffed. “Oh, you are making that up.”

Roberta said “Actually it’s true.”

Karen stopped them both. “Okay first I don’t really care to know how you know that. Second, if Roy ever finds out, I will personally track both of you down.”

Roberta offered. “On that note meeting adjourned.”

A few months have passed. Helen looked up from her desk. There was a familiar face in the lobby. Sort of. It was Connie. A whole new version, though. Same elegant hairstyle. Same long legs. Expensive outfit-a cashmere sweater and skin tight Italian suede skirt. This time it however, was wrapped on an enhanced frame. Her butt, belly, boobs stuck out in every direction. The Italian beauty was nowhere near as big as herself; but still compared to her formerly svelte figure, it was a shocking change. If not for the fact her face had swollen only slightly to match, Helen would easily have mistaken her for someone else.

Helen tried her best not to stare but could not help it as she approached. Every extra inch jiggled and wiggled in time with her confident stride. It was obvious that Connie was not the least bit self conscious about the change. In fact the way from the exaggerated bounce in her breasts and the sway in her hips it seemed she was actually proud of herself!

Helen blinked before she spoke. “Connie is that you? Well this is a pleasant surprise!”

She nodded. “I’ll be here a few months. Odette and I want to be married before the baby is born. Boston probably, so it’s officially recognized. We want the baby to be born here too. That way there will be no hassle with legitimacy. You know…”

“Ah” said Helen. “I didn’t know. Well Motherhood seems to be agreeing with you. I guess that explains your new…wardrobe.”

Connie had been munching away on a last bit of Danish she brought with her, when she spied a tray of Cream puffs. “Ooh these look good-are they for anyone?” Without waiting for an answer she waddled over and soon her already bulging cheeks were stuffed full of the sweet dessert.

After downing three, Connie took a break and swallowed to answer. “Guess I should clarify something. Actually it’s Odette who’s pregnant. We talked. I’m too old to start having babies.” Then she smoothed her hands over her belly and hips. “This is all me I’m afraid, I’m fat. Gained 40 kilo since I last saw you. What do you think?”

She turned once to reveal her new 210 pound 49-39-48 proportions. Her breasts in particular, seemed to have literally ballooned into monstrous FF mounds. Connie noticed the look commenting. “Still getting used to this. These things are heavy, and they aren’t as perky as before. Now I know how Toni felt. You should see her now though, holding her arms out as far as she could. That girl is the 8th wonder of the world.”

Helen laughed. “I know, I’ve seen the shows. Her I can understand,  but I’d never have bet you’d start to look like me. Mind you if someone told me I’d weigh this much today and be happy about it, I’d have told them they were crazy.”Then she laughed. “Still got a long way to catch up to me. But how did you end up like this?”

Connie waved the remnants of her now fourth pastry, as she greedily eyed the last one on the tray. “Same way you did. Ate like a horse, then ate some more. It’s harder work than I’d thought but, I’m doing the best I can. Plan B helped. I did that for a month straight at the beginning, so I wouldn’t chicken out.” She swallowed the last bit and looked for cue to take that last one.

Helen resisted the urge to snicker but added simply. “Well you seem to be doing okay, so far. You might as well finish those. Lord knows I don’t need them.  I’m actually trying to cut down. Not working though. Too much encouragment in the wrong direction.”

“Seems simple. Tell Roberta to stop bringing them in then. I thought you told me you’d met your goal already?”

“Her goal, yes. She’s not the one buying them…”Then she went quiet and blushed as she realized she may have said too much.

“Hmm. I see Cupid in the background somewhere. I’m going to need details later.”

Seeing Helen nod she grabbed the last Danish while adding, “Don’t worry too much.  At this rate I’ll probably end up bigger than you soon. You like?”

“Wait” asked Helen. “My opinion doesn’t really matter. You’re pleased about this?”

“Not at first. But now I’m enjoying my overindulgence, making up for lost time I guess. You know being like this was a status symbol once. And I am rich, after all. And I’m not a kid-time to relax and enjoy the good life-it’s the only one we get.”

“Sure said Helen you need to set a good example” as she rolled her eyes. “Noblesse oblige.” Or obese in this case.

“I’m retired now-I turned over my obligations to Paula. She needs something to live on in her old age. Just to set the matter straight, this transformation wasn’t my idea at all, it was Odette’s. Doing this was the other condition she attached to our reunion. At first, I thought it was simply for revenge, but quickly found out, she has certain…preferences too. You know if we hadn’t got back together, I think she actually had a thing for you too. You did turn out rather well, if I do say so myself. Too bad-we could have had fun, the three of us. It’s not too late…”A devilish grin punctuated that thought.

Helen blushed and unconvincingly added “Really? I had no idea. But I’ve found someone. You’ll like him.”

The accent on her lover’s gender was not lost on Connie, who simply returned to her story. “Didn’t put up too much of a fight, when she asked me to fill out. I was already starting on my own, when you left anyway. Part of it is simply time catching up and my ancestry. Sooner or later my mother’s genes were going to kick in. Surprised, I lasted this long. But I get to blame it on her now right? It’s good PR for a Plus agency too. I’m still the owner of record. Now I can pose for photos with the girls, and fit in somewhat.”

She sighed. “I think my motorcycle and sports car days are over.  I’m keeping the Ford, though. Maybe our child can drive it someday.”

Helen hugged her again, as best she could. The two were so fat, they could barely get their hands around each other.” Look why didn’t you warn me you were coming…”

Connie said “Cause I didn’t really come to see you. This was just a pleasant extra. I’ll be in town a few days. I’d like to catch up, if you like.”

“That’d be great then, why are you here?”

A voice from the back. “I think I can answer that.”

“Come here you.” Roberta gave her a hug and then a playful slap on the butt. “It’s been too long.” Then she patted the bulging belly and chuckled. “My, you are full of surprises. I could ask what you’ve been up to for the last two years, but it’s pretty evident? You’ve grown even more beautiful.”

Connie blushed. “I wasn’t sure how to tell you. Are you disappointed?”

Roberta laughed. “Are you kidding? Look at me. Mind you at this rate you’ll be bigger than me soon. Well, like mother, like daughter.”

Helen rolled her eyes and shook her head. Looking at the two women together, it was now obvious who Connie’s mother was. She should have seen it months ago.

Roberta nodded in her direction. “We need a day to ourselves. You come for dinner tomorrow. I won’t take no for an answer.”

“I wouldn’t dream of saying no.”

Roberta whispered “Stan knows about her by the way. Although she was born before we met, he’s been very accepting of this.”

Connie approached her. “We need to have a conversation too, in private. About discretion.”

Helen assured her. “I think I know why. You have nothing to worry about.”

“Oh it’s not about what you think. Mom, Stan, my step brothers and sisters all know about me and my relationship with Odette. I’ll fill you in later.”

Epilog

Helen decided to go down to the warehouse, to see how Jill was coping with her increased responsibility.  Allison, the new receptionist paged her, advising she’d had a busy morning so far. It had been awhile, so Helen took some time to look around. She strolled around the front, waiting for Jill to finish her phone call. Nothing different.

Wait. Jill appeared, and walked into the lunch room, before Helen caught her eye. Once there, she opened what appeared to be a donut box. From it, she pulled 2 double-chocolate cupcakes, then began to eat them from alternate hands.  She appeared to be enjoying them, as she closed her eyes and sighed with ecstacy. The snack complete, she rubbed her belly with contentment,  and Helen expected her to leave. Instead, she took 2 more and the routine was repeated. Helen stifled a giggle when she dove in for the third time. The box was pushed aside into the bin, indicating she’d finished the lot. The young manager was just licking the last bit of icing and crumbs off her hands, as she turned. Then, she started a bit, as she noticed she had company. “Hi Helen-this is a surprise. Everything okay?”

“Seems to be. Maybe we can do a tour?”

“Sure, if you can just wait a few minutes, I’m expecting a call, then I’ll go with.”

Helen nodded. “That’s fine. How are you anyway? Our last conversation was a little strained.”

“That was my dump day, as I recall. I’m fine, these days. Met a new boyfriend, at Weight Watchers.” She smoothed her hand over her hips and added “That’s about the only positive outcome I’ve gotten out of my effort to get my figure back. I haven’t actually lost any weight; but he doesn’t seem to mind. So far at least.”  Then she blushed in acknowledgement of her failure.

Helen eyed her a bit and offered. “Well if he’s going there too, then he can’t really complain...”

Jill shook her head. “He’s not...like me. He works there, in fact. Been very supportive.” Her phone rang and she excused herself to pick it up.

The pause gave Helen an opportunity for further scrutiny. Jill’s comment about not losing weight was a bit disingenuous. Her responsibilities were not the only thing that had increased lately. She had gained another  50 pounds in the past few months and it showed. Her last visit at Weight Watchers was 2 weeks earlier, tipping the scales at 220 pounds, she measured up at 43D-47-51. Helen had noticed how every inch of her jiggled when she waddled into her office.

Roberta’s first instincts about her future had been right on the mark. Jill’s “silhouette” had turned out much the way she’d predicted those months ago. Her midsection now bulged into three distinct rolls, like the Michelin man. Overall it had morphed into an enormous pot belly. She was so big in front now she looked pregnant. Hmmm. Maybe?

Going down, each roll was progressively larger, making it appear she had three extra sets of boobs, with her real ones being lost in the shuffle. But it was the massive expansion of her hindsection that garnered the most shock value. Her enhanced rear globes stretched the knit fabric of her dress so much that it was nearly transparent.Not only that, the hemline at the back was considerably higher than the front and it was a fairly short dress to begin with.  It was obvious she was overdue for an upgrade in size and Helen would break the news discreetly.

Helen whispered to Allison.  “I thought that once Karen left, Jill would go back to her old routine. Instead, she’s put on a few pounds since I saw her last. More than few, actually. Maybe I’ll have a word with her in private.  She’ll be huge if she’s not careful.”

Allison eyed her and smirked, noticing Helen’s even larger girth. “Strike that. She’s huge now-compared to me, anyway.” Then she blushed as she realized that she had probably insulted the senior employee. “Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t mean…”

Helen furrowed her brow. “Are you trying to tell me I’m fat? Fatter than her, in fact?”

Allison blushed. “Well, it came out wrong, and I don’t mean to be cruel, but yes I guess I am.”

Helen began to laugh. “Don’t worry dear. I know I’m fat and I’m quite alright with it. Guess you could say I’m actually getting to like it.” She was not being entirely forthcoming. Jill was not the only one who’d gained recently. Helen’s new lifestyle and love life conspired to add even more to her already generous proportions. Only 2 pounds shy of the 400 mark, she now measured 64K-65-60. Her breasts alone weighed nearly 40 pounds.

Allison sighed in relief. “Seems to be the norm around here. Look, I know what happened around here and why. First Karen got fat, then Jill, then you, and there’s Roberta- I feel a bit like a fish out of water here. Jill was stable for a while and I thought the Weight Watchers program would help bring her back to a more manageable size. But when she seemed to blow up overnight I was worried, so I talked to her about it. She admitted she’d only tried to stay slim in the past, to keep her old boyfriend happy. She’s found someone else, more accepting. Actually I think her present shape is his fault. In part, at least.”

Intigued, Helen asked “Oh. How so?”

“Jill hasn’t told me officially, but all the signs that he’s feeding her up are there. He sometimes drops in around noon with lunch, enough to feed three people. She eats it all, though. Goes out for a snack after too.  She even eats the stuff he leaves for me.”

“He leaves food for you too?”

“All the time.  It’s becoming a bit annoying actually.”

“You think Jill’s boyfriend is trying to fatten you up? Are you sure you aren’t imagining things?”

“Nope. He keeps telling me I’m too skinny. Sometimes he’ll even hold donuts and treats right up to my face to get me to try them. I know it makes no sense but there you have it. At first I thought he had a thing for me. I even tried to flirt with him to test him out but he didn’t take the bait. Seems he’s loyal, if a bit strange.”

“Does Jill know?”

“I was too embarrassed to tell her. It’s not working anyway so what’s the harm?  I’m used to this routine, my mom tried to put weight on me for years and failed too. I’m a size 2 and I’m staying there.” It was in fact a lie. Helen looked her over and knew she was nowhere near size 2. Despite her best efforts to resist, she still indulged a little more than she was used to. Already wearing size 4 and it was tight, especially around the newly developed belly.

Puzzled Helen asked. “I don’t get it.”

Allison added “She’s in better spirits now with the new job routine and her boyfriend seems nice. Good job too. He was volunteering as a support worker at some Weight Watchers thing and they hit it off.”

“ He works at Weight Watchers but he’s feeding her up too? That makes no sense.”

“Actually it does. He’s just a volunteer. I think he does it for the same reason a person who likes fast cars would volunteer at the race track.”

Now understanding, Helen nodded. “I think I get it. He’s surrounded by women who are let’s say, his ideal type. So what does he actual do for them then?”

“Support and counselling. He helps them deal with issues of acceptance and psychological impacts of being overweight.”

Jill came out of the office and offered. “That was my boyfriend. We’re having a party tonight. I’d very much like you to come. You can bring someone if you want.”

Helen nodded but added. “Can we have a private talk for a minute?” Jill ushered her into the office and Helen closed the door.

Jill looked at the expression on her colleagues face and asked nervously. “Something wrong? Am I in trouble?”

Helen offered. “That’s what I want to find out. Frankly I’m a bit worried about you. More to the point I’m worried about your present physical situation.”

Jill glared at her but said nothing.

Helen continued. “Okay I’ll spell it out. I know you put a few pounds on as a spin off effect of hanging out with Karen. It was too bad about your boyfriend but I figured once Karen was gone-well…”

Jill interrupted. “I’d lose weight? That’s what everyone assumed. Once I was no longer needed for Roberta’s little plan; let’s say I was quietly forgotten. No one helped me get this off, or even made the offer. I think Roberta put me out here, so she wouldn’t have to see me every day; and it would ease her conscience.” Then she sighed. “I’m not bitter though. Got a good promotion out of it. And made a lifelong friend.”

“Karen?”

“Yep. We got pretty close and she helped me over the rough patch, when my boyfriend dumped me. I babysit for her sometimes and we still visit Anna on a regular basis.” She massaged her belly and added. “Lot of this is from hanging out with them. You should see Karen. I’m not sure you heard; she’s pregnant again. She’ll end up as big as the two of us put together, eventually. So I still have a bit of that bad influence as you put it.”

Helen shook her head “There’s more to it than that. Keep Karen out of this. I saw you gorging yourself this morning and there was no one forcing it down your throat.  Face it girl you need help. You’re well on the way to ending up my size, too.

“I hope so.” Jill giggled. “That’s the plan-still a few sizes to go though. Not quite as big as you though.” Then she blanched realizing she’d said too much.

Helen pressed. “Plan? What plan? You’re doing this on purpose? I thought something was up. Spill.”

Jill sighed. “Okay, but this is between us. Roberta will freak if she finds out I told you.”

“Told me what.?”

“You were right.” Jill began. “At first I hated being like this and fought it right up to the end. Thought it would hold me back in life. But things changed, I am doing this on purpose, now. You see…”she paused and took a deep breath. “This is okay but I want more challenges in life than running a warehouse. Roberta has offered me a better job.”

Sensing the truth Helen asked in spite of herself. “What kind of job?”

“Do I need to spell it out? She’s offered me your job, provided…”

Helen frowned. “Provided you meet the same requirements I did.”

Jill nodded. “Only she set a limit. She’s embarrassed to admit it, but she didn’t set an upper limit, because she never thought she’d need to.”

Helen knew the answer before she asked. “Are you trying to tell me I’m too fat now?”

Jill sighed. “I was trying not to tell you actually. In fact I was hoping I wouldn’t need to say anything at all. But now that it’s out, yes you are getting a little out of proportion for the size line. They had to make up a whole wardrobe for you special. If you’d stabilized then it would be fine. But…”

“I kept getting bigger and they needed to upgrade everything. I get it.” Helen was beginning a slow boil. She would call a lawyer as soon as she got out of here.

There’s more. “Roberta turned down your job, because it’s tough to fly all over at your size.”

Helen offered. “Well that’s true. Even first class seats are getting tough to fit into. So you’ve stepped up in my place. I can’t believe you’d betray me like this. After all I went through to get here.”

Jill held up her hand. “Relax. You won’t be able to do it anymore, anyway. Berta has decided it’s time to retire and spend time with her new granddaughter. The board has approved you to be her replacement. Berta was going to tell you over dinner tomorrow. Please act surprised or she’ll know I blabbed. Again.”

Helen was blindsided at that revelation. The sales had been better than they’d ever hope so far and Helen could have retired easily on this year’s bonus alone. But she liked to work and Roberta’s job would come with its own set of perqs.

“By the way she did offer Karen your job first, but she declined. Too much travel for a new mother. She’ll probably end up being my assistant if she comes back. Weird how things work out huh?”

“So who’s going to run this place? Oh Allison, probably. Nothing will happen for 6 months anyway, so she’ll be able to grow into the job.”

“Now I get it. That would explain what you and your boyfriend are up to.”

Jill asked “Come again?”

“You know. You’re trying to fatten her up too. So she can take over this place.”

Jill reddened. “I noticed she’d gained a couple pounds lately, but I did nothing to condone or encourage it. The job has nothing to do with size. Mary was quite slim and did this job for years. And what’s my boyfriend got to do with it?”

“Maybe you should discuss that with him. I’m looking forward to meeting him tonight. Unless I miss my guess I’m sure he’ll like me at least. Maybe I should stay home, I don’t want to steal him away after all.” She laughed, but Jill found it somewhat less funny.

“Sorry bad taste. I forgot about the last one. So what’s he like?”

Jill smiled coyly. “I’ll let you find out for yourself. Little mystery is good. He’s got his own business though. I have his card on my desk somewhere.” She handed it to Helen who blanched slightly, when she read it.

“So you’re coming tonight?”

Helen smiled a bit and added. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world. Mind if my date is another woman?”

Jill blushed a bit and offered “Uh no I guess.”

Helen laughed. “Don’t worry, she’s just a friend.”

Jill sighed with relief. “Oh good, some people can be so narrow minded. I don’t want a scene.”

“Can’t promise that.” Helen took her hand. “I need to tell you something else-serious. Then, we’ll see.”

Allison never heard what happened in the office, but she could see through the window. Jill had started to tear up a bit and Helen was doing her best to console her. Then, a few minutes later Helen came out talking on her cell phone. She caught the following.  “Steph…? I don’t care what you are doing. Get a sitter tonight and be ready for me to pick you up at 7:00. Wear something short and tight. I’ll fill you in later. Trust me I’ll be worth it.”

Then she hung up. As she rushed out, she dropped something on the floor where Allison picked it up. It was a business card.

It read:

Ian Monroe, MD

Doctor of Psychiatry.

Body Image/Counselling Specialist

Someone was in for the surprise of their life.

The End

14 hours ago, maltesefalcon said:

So there you are. As you can see it takes nearly an hour just to post a story this long. Hope it survives this time and of course hope you enjoy. More tales on the way!.

Thank you for reposting. Your stories are some of the best I have ever read.