smart phones

jakemcduck

So are they all crap or are some of them actually reliable?  LG has always been good to me in the flip phone days, but the last two smart phones were stinkers.  My friends are always bitching about their samsungs.  I have a samsung flip phone for work and it annoys me most of the time (has a good battery though).

Anybody have any suggestions about reliable smart phones you love?

I've had an HTC One M8 for a year and a half now. No complaints at all. I use it a lot so the battery won't last me a whole day without some charging, but I feel like that's fairly typical across the smartphone market. I'm behind the current gen and I've heard that HTC are lapsing, so YMMV with the newer lineups, but I do love my M8.

I've been using the same iPhone 4 for over 5 years. Battery life is still pretty good. I stopped updating it a couple of years ago, so I can't run the latest apps, and it is only 3g. But it is responsive and the screen still stacks up against new phones.

I have Nexus 7 (by Asus) and am happy with it, but it isn't as tough as recent Apple hardware. I like Android better, but Apple is still leading the pack on hardware.

Any electronics manufacturers have a percentage of bad units, so you always have to take reliability with a grain of salt.

That's the kind of life I'm looking for.  My old LG VX8600 lasted almost six years.  I know I'm not going to get that out of a smart phone but I'd like it to at least last until the contract is up.  iPhones are pretty expensive aren't they?  Or are they comparable to google phones?

Flat out. Buy a smartphone with a battery you can replace. Then after 1-2 years when it's "reliability" goes down spend 15-20$ to pop a new battery in. Most complaints smartphone users have with their old phones are either "I dropped it in the lake" or "the battery is getting weaker". (Unless maybe you've bought a cheap Chinese clone by mistake).

The samsung s5 for example is waterproof up to 20minutes and a couple feet. It's backplate pops off for easy battery replacement.  That said I'm not a huge fan of the s5.  I currently own and use an lg g4 which is not at all waterproof but does feature the easy to replace battery and sdmicro storage expansion slot.  No Iphone has a replaceable battery because apple would rather sell you a new product every two years. 

Overall though giant hd touchscreens are not going to last anywhere near as long as the old 2005 nokia flip phones, they just have too many parts.  I dropped a nokia flip phone down a flight of stairs once, never do that with a smartphone. Buying a sturdy case can protect the smartphone from small drops though and help keep it working for 20-40 investment in the case.

Most us carriers have actually discontinued the free upgrade plan with a confusing series of new rules and monthly bill discounts that render the concept of upgrades less important, at&t, sprint, and verizon wireless all offer monthly bill discounts for users who didn't take the free upgrade in an amount equal to or greater than the value of that free upgrade over the life of the two year contract.