I'm going to wear a tinfoil hat!

KFD

So my buddy posts up on Facebook about the Mendella Effect, and my noodle is fucking baked over this!

You kids of the eighties remember the book series about the Bears that live in a tree, and mostly had books on how to be a decent human being?

Yeah, Google-fu that shit right now.

Any of you kids that remember anything from that era, you remember the books clear as fucking day, and the spelling.

Stein, S-T-E-I-N. Like Papa Bear had a beer stein in his hand (or paw) Stein.

Yeah, history is saying what you remember clear as fucking day is wrong.

I read this shit on Wikipedia, so it's legit, right?

Tinfoil hat club, who's in?!?

Have fun wrapping your head around that. Here's some irrelevant pictures. I'm going to find out how Male Privilege (or Tupac and the Illuminati) instigated this...

post-837-14514081496274_thumb.jpeg

post-837-14514081496742_thumb.jpg

post-837-14514081497691_thumb.jpg

post-837-14514081530038_thumb.jpg

post-837-14514081532645_thumb.jpg

post-837-1451408153286_thumb.jpg

post-837-14514081533104_thumb.jpg

post-837-14514081533986_thumb.jpg

post-837-14514081534533_thumb.png

Guest MUSEic

It's really not all that shocking if you think about it. I remember when I was younger having a realization that there names were the "Bernstein" bears, rather than the "Berenstain" bears, because Bernstein is am actually common last name. It's really not all that unheard of that thousands or millions of people would misremember a name like that as Bernstein, because that more closely reflects the common "-stein" suffix. Plus, humans are notoriously bad at creating false memories. The simple act of reading articles about the Name may be enough to convince you that "back in the day you could have swore it was Berenstein" because your original memories are vague or hazy.

I remember it being spelled "Berenstein" as well.  I also remember having some very early feedist fantasies reading the Too Much Junk Food book, when the bears put on weight and find they're too out of shape to run without huffing and puffing.

When you first mentioned the book series without using the name, I did remember that the word "Berenstain" was spelled oddly, but I couldn't remember exactly how.

I agree with MUSEic though-- given how many last names end in "-stein", it's not all that surprising that people mentally lump this one in with all the others. The two e's in the "Beren-" part also encourage you to remember there being e's in the name.

Also, if you do an image search for some of the covers of these books, you'll notice "Berenstain" is written in cursive. Considering that the target demographic is probably still learning to write in cursive, that's not doing them any favors towards remembering how the name is spelt 20 years later.

• 2 weeks later...