A history of curvage?

darthstuffer

• Moderators

Here's a timeline from my perspective, though some of the dates are fuzzy at best. Some of this is one huge *citation needed*, but I am recalling this to the best of my ability:

I happened upon FatCelebs during one of my nights of perusing link sections in Yahoo! Groups. By then, FatCelebs was a fairly small forum and the most popular sections were Celebs, Pictures, Off-Topic and the newly created Videos board because Youtube links started to invade Pictures. Serendipity, Atlya, Chapman, Jambolio, and Tiggerag are the moderators I remember. Luke was the admin. Notable members included Zachi, Vennie, Phalloidium, Flamins, and Loki. Not a whole lot of content was generated on a daily basis, I could easily scour the boards in an hour or so and not miss anything.

The site has been steadily gaining members. A few notable female members include Tiffany Lynn, Sara, Choco, Lulinix1 and Panda (something or other, she was friends with Tiffany). I make mention of them because I feel they were the pioneers in shifting FatCelebs from a 100% jerk-off site to a more community-focused celebration of curves. Off-Topic got so busy that it was broken into Serious Discussion, Chit Chat and The Abyss. I also became a moderator that year.

2007-2008

I do not remember the exact time it happened, but Curvage was born and FatCelebs became read-only for archival purposes. The whole idea was that the community had outgrown its name (the Celebs board was far from the top at that point), so it needed a new moniker. It was around this time when Luke shut down the forum. A simple page took its place saying he had lost interest and to contact him if someone wanted to take control. That is when Phalloidium/Phal/Spock took control and brought the forum back several days later. Unlike the last Curvage shutdown, all data was preserved. Curvage Chat was introduced, furthering the feeling of this being a community more than an off-hands content site.

2008-2012

This is the reign of Spock. During 2010 and 2011, Curvage had substantial downtime from hardware failure and viruses. At one point Curvage was down for several weeks, causing many people to go to other sites like LTC and FantasyFeeder. Shortly after Curvage was brought back, Spock had mentioned as early as 2011 that he was losing interest in maintaining the site and was looking for a replacement. Out of respect I will not dive into details, but there were several good reasons for his want to get out of the community limelight. In mid 2012, with no apparent warning, Curvage was completely wiped out. Unlike Luke's retirement, Curvage's data was not preserved and had to be completely restarted.

2012 - present day

S77 brought Curvage back and is the current administrator of the site. Some of the original moderator staff returned, including myself. The first few weeks consisted of people attempting to make Curvage exactly like it was before, right down to creating threads with the same names as before. However, a general consensus was reached that Curvage should evolve from the rebirth and not everything should be revived. As such, a lot of the popular sticky threads are no longer here, and the Familiar Faces has started from the beginning again.

1 - Thanks S77 for pointing out Lulinix as a prominent poster.

• Moderators

Don't forget Lulinix she had the highest female post count I believe.

Updated my post, thanks for pointing this out! Don't know how I forgot to include Luli :)

Your memory is horrifyingly sharp.

And man, I can't believe I've been knocking around here for seven years.

Ha, my memory is so random. I can recall things like FatCelebs/Curvage history, but I will completely forget a conversation I had a week or two ago with someone. I also cannot believe I found this place seven years ago. Makes my college days seem more distant for some reason.

• 7 years later...
  • Moderators

I lurked many sites long since gone, dating back to the early 2000s. Sites like stuffed online, pumpkin belly patch, dimensions magazine, and others I'm struggling to recall at the moment. I was not into the furries aspect, but stuffed online awakened my desire for female overeating and weight gain. God only knows how I stumbled onto that site, given how crude web searching was back then. I was admittedly young for that kind of stuff, but the world wide web was still the wild wild west.

I was around for the original Yahoo groups, and joined FatCelebs sometime late 2005 / early 2006. My handle used to be gtasaf, before I got into the whole brevity thing, lol. I lurked for a month or so, then finally got over my anxiety of posting and contributed some content. If I recall, my first post was about an MTV True Life episode about dieting. That was right before YouTube took off and the forum added a dedicated board to videos. I remember thinking how great the site was - active users, lots of content; no more scouring Yahoo groups for a picture or two.

I've been a moderator for a long time, from back when Luke was running the site. Chapman, Serendipity, and Atlya were the more active mods. I remember getting invited to the mod team by Serendipity, and how honored I felt to be considered worthy of moderator duties. If I recall, that was in 2007, and the site had about 30k members at the time.

I remember buying the BBW Brooke DVDs, mail order, for way too much money for a poor college student. She was my first real BBW crush, I found her very attractive - honestly still do, that's my favorite body type and size.

I also remember the good times with instant messengers. I used to chat with Choco chan on MSN Messenger a bunch in the late 2000s. Curvage had a chat at that point as well. I'd hang on there while working my summer desk job at college, lol.

I'm not trying to brown nose here, but I still can't believe at times how much S77 has done for this place. His passion and dedication to the community here is bar none, and it has thrived with him running the place. The community vibe has grown larger than ever, and I feel Curvage is leaving some stigmas behind as a result.

I've admittedly been far less active the past few years - getting married will do that to you I guess, lol. I try to stay active on here, beyond moderator duties. Posts like these usually get me to open up and ramble 😄

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Master WG said:

@gta

thanks for sharing. Those are some cool memories  

What ever happen to Luke?
and wasn’t there another person who took over just after fat celebs who did pretty well but didn’t have time or something?

Luke shut down the site suddenly and unexpectedly, leaving up a single page saying the site was closed, contact him if you wanted to take it over. A week or so later, it was taken over by Phalloidium/Spock. He ran the place for a few years, and shut it down suddenly as well. I don't want to dive into too much of the reasons why for either of them, but I was glad to see the site continue on each time.