A history of curvage?

darthstuffer

is there anyone still around from the days of the yahoo groups or any of the pre-curvage days? what was this place called back in those days? i think it was fatcelebs.net but what was gaininggirlfriend and why is that stuck in my head? i thought it might be nice if we put a little history together for the newbies or even some old vets like me who just can't remember everything. the origins of curvage started back in the late '90s if i remember correctly, maybe it was the early '00s. either way curvage had a long and storied history before the nuke, i think it'd be nice to have a place where some of those stories are told before they r lost forever.

anyone remember the long battle between atlyesque and serendipitous at the old fatcelebs site? what were some other defining moment in the history leading up to the modern curvage?

Yes, the legacy is very important. I will add, what I know a bit later. Thanks for this thread.

EDIT:: here we go below

I shall give a stab at this, perhaps it can be somewhat of a cross reference to GTAs post. I will try and be a little more broad during the PRECURVAGE years and branch out beyond curvage a bit, as I think it's relevant to a degree and GTA already did a good job on the just curvage stuff. Like GTA this is going to be all from my head so please fact check me where im off.

The dark ages. 1998 & before

The internet was really in it's infancy and so were modern computers.  Having one with a video card that could do any justice to the supple beauty of a curvy woman was a luxury.  This not to mention it was almost impossible to actually find a decent picture of a fat chick online during this time.  If you weren't browsing through a gopher hole or in an AOL hosted walled garden then you were likely circa 1998 and using netscape navigator.  With netscape navigator and lycos you might find some good photos of Cindy Crawford layered over a grey background and you had to wait for it because you were on dial up.  If you were lucky it was a speedy 56K baud dial up modem.  Who can forget that sound of trying to log in? "buzz-chaa-bing-oweoweowe-buzzzzz-rrrrbing"  Think of this, there was no google, no facebook, no youtube, no myspace. Hell javascript barely ran correctly, forget php!  So back to the fat chicks. I remember there was a photo or two floating around but man was it a hell of a search to find one small photo which I say "small" because if you found something it likely wasn't high quality like the Cindy Crawford photo.  Notable sources for fat chick images during this era are southerncharms, sexysheryl, Dimensions magazine and KellyGirl had a webzine.

1999 - 2001

This was the period when the internet gave way to the roots that eventually led to where we are today.  Search engines I used a lot during this time were  lycos, yahoo, altavista, webcrawler and dogpile.  They all seemed to come up with different stuff so it was important to search them all for "fat chicks", "fat belly" "big ass" or anything else one could come up with.  It was somewhat like a treasure hunt.  Since most websites were static during this time things like phpbb and smf weren't ubiquitous as they are today.  I don't even think they existed yet.  As such a new thing called yahoo groups was becoming  popular. Web 2.0 (user driven content ) was starting to give way and yahoo groups was a great platform for regular people to make groups about many topics. (more on this in a bit)

I will go through and name some names and events I remember.

- Pre ** the current admin, had a website that featured his inflation art and also had some bbw stuff.

-Fattenup was a great site that had some good pictures. Was an early gainer site. Also an early forum.

-Fantasy feeder was brand new during this time and had no CMS system driving the site. The thing I remember was that there was a game about making girls gain weight. I remember thinking, "nobody is going to provide content to this site" I was hopeful but I thought it was a pipe dream.  I turned out to be wrong about that.

- Mandys playhouse was launched.

- Heathers lair.. ?? pre-bigcuties.

-sexy mic was gaining in germany

-Kelly Girl had already become a star within the community that was forming.

-this fat chick named Betty who was the first person I ever saw drink cream from a funnel. 

-Mindy Teats has her own site, she gained and published the now defunct  bigbutt magazine.

-Fatgirlfriends site. A website where a guy documents the weight gain of his fat girlfriend named Angela. At first the site was about how he hates what is happening to his once sexy girlfriend. Eventually it was revealed that he loved every bit of it.

-Tim the future boyfriend of Nikki (gaining goddess) had a different girl named Michelle whom he successfully encouraged to gain a good amount of weight. He got some pretty good photos to.

-Dimensions forums begins to become more popular and the magazine sees fewer and fewer updates.

-S77 (yours truly) launches his first popular fat girls website called  FatterWomen. On the FatterWomen website you could choose which size female you wanted to see and the level of nudity. Also there was a model submission section. A model by the name of Heidi submitted some very sexy photos. Within a few weeks she changed her name to  Brooke.  After submitting 4 picture sets to FatterWomen she made her own site and continued to gain weight.  FatterWomen didn't last long 1999-2001

2002 - 2003

Around the web there was a guy who went by the name LuketheDuck.  He used the yahoo groups to create one called fat celebs.  The birth of modern day Curvage had begun.  I was a member of this yahoo group.  I checked it and about 50 others quite a bit. Do you remember having a big list of yahoo groups? Group owners would make a second group and a third group with the same name if to many pictures were posted.  I remember one group had a series of like 14 different iterations.

Also notable. 

-Gaining goddess starts posting photos around the web and on her site.

-Fantasyfeeder begins to take off.

-KellyGirl dissappears.

Fatcelebs leaves yahoo groups and announces that it now has its own webpage.  The full blown FatCelebs  website is born. This is when Phalliodium joined the site.  For the first year or so FatCelebs was restricted somewhat to on topic FatCeleb stuff. I remember eventually more and more forums were added and topics started to expand

2007 is a BIG year for (the soon to be) Curvage.  FatCelebs had started to have many forums unrelated to celebrities.  There was some debate about whether the website had lost it's focus or if it had expanded to something better.  Luke decided that it needed to be reborn under a more fitting title and on Jan 9th 2007 Curvage.com was born.  Older members were allowed to keep their prestige,  post count was saved, and sign up date. For example under Atlyas name it said 2004. S77 account was started in 2007 on Curvage.com shortly after "Curvage" was started.  Although I had been on and off  the old FatCelebs site with different accounts prior to this mostly lurking. 

While Curvage was a new site with a deep history and growing community, it's founder Luke was growing weary with his already 3 year endeavor.  Sadly on May 17th 2007 Curvage was closed.  Instead of seeing Curvage we were greeted with the following  cold message. " Unfortunately, due to spiralling resource usage and a lack of continued motivation on my part, Curvage has now closed. If there is someone serious who feels they would like to take the project on and retain what has become a solid community, then e-mail luketheduck @ blahblah.com" 

Phalliodium/Mark/Spock  (he's a man of many names) stepped up to take on the job. Mark was ambitious and had big plans for Curvage. On May 20 2012 Curvage was back and user accounts and all posts were retained. Phalliodium was going to expand on the site over all and have the forums only be one small section.  He replaced the front page with this message: " This is the new home of Curvage The only thing here right now are the forums: http://www.curvage.com/forum/"

This had everyone waiting for new and exciting elements to the Curvage experience. Although it was unclear what else was going to be added. Perhaps it was going to be something like the old dimensions website.

2008 - early 2010

These are the Curvage.com glory days. The site was building momentum seemingly faster every day. More and more content was being posted and it was getting harder to keep up.  For the first time the Alexa score for Curvage.com dipped below 100K and Atlya couldn't actually read EVERY post.  However, by March 8th 2009 There had been nothing new added to the root level of Curvage and since the forums were already in a child directory "/forums" The Curvage splash page was born to replace the "new home of curvage" root page message.

Also notable during this time frame S77 Launched LoveTheseCurves.com on March 10th 2009 Vennie and Testdrive sign up and start posting like crazy. Also Tygerkitty signs up a week later.

late 2010

For reasons still unknown to me Curvage.com switches to Curvage.org.  In my mind this was the start of Spocks lost interest in Curvage.

However on the plus side LoveTheseCurves gets it's famous and very lovely bannergirl posted on the banner for the first time.

2011- early 2012

This period represents a massive Curvage Decline.  It was clear that the leader had lost interest and the apathy seemed to trickle down.  Most of the mods had lost their excitement and things began to feel repetitive and old.  This combined with repeated down time, and other technical trouble really began to weigh down the overall success of the site.  For a long time viewing pictures was not as easy as it once was because of technical trouble.  A new skin left out many features that people had become accustom to and SSL errors made it so some people couldn't even log in.  Eventually Spock placed a message saying that he had lost interest and it was clear that he had lost interest for some time.  There was talk of a solution, perhaps the site would be passed on or remotely managed by proxy. We had a long discussion thread about the fate of Curvage going but little to no reply from Spock.  It wasn't all lost interest,  there are some other drivers behind what he was doing and why but our discussion about it was going nowhere and Atlya locked the thread.  A month or two more went by with no word, until suddenly and without warning Curvage went dark. Complete and total silence.  The worst had happened. The database had been nuked.  Many in this moment suddenly realized how much Curvage meant to them now that they didn't have it anymore.  people were shocked, horrified, emotional and there was a massive outcry around the web.

summer 2012

Curvage returns, This time user accounts were not saved and all content was lost. However with new energy from all and a strong sense of revival. Members flock back in droves and the rebuild begins. Many have colloquially began referring to the new revival as Curvage 2.0.  Long live Curvage!!

Jan 2013

A new home page was added to Curvage. The Splash page remains but quickly redirects to a new homepage which works as a portal for the rest of the website. The home page contains links, and useful stuff about what is going on in the forums. It also highlights recent posted photos.

July 2014

Curvage finally gets a new logo and ditches the splash screen girl that had been used for many years.

New logo features pinup stlye BBW silhouette. Also Picture tab was added to more easily navigate Curvage for pictures. Picture threads were resigned to have recent thumbnail image pics atop the board to see recently posted pictures to the board. Each picture board containing it's own set of thumbnails. The celebrities board was renamed FatCelebs in honor of Curvage heritage. 

Jan 2016

The entire Curvage website is remade from the ground up after a return from a short week break during the Christmas/new year holiday. The new website retained the old content but was switched to IPS based software which added a whole new and more modern look and feel to the site. Curvage became responsive and could run in mobile browsers, had functioning notification system and community reputation points along with improved profiles, and ability to find people in your location using google maps technology. Many things were much more dynamic and the site had a badly needed make over and modernized improvements.

Feb 2017

The Curvage Alexa score has surpassed all previous records by a long shot. It hit low 62K. Which indicates Curvage is the most popular it's ever been. 

Curvage Clips was introduced. A photo and clips store where models can sell their material right here on Curvage.

Jan 2019
By Jan 2019 Curvage has reached a lot Alexa score of about ~35K world wide. Also Goddess Shar has firmly landed in the records as a legendary Curvage model. She is the first Curvage member to reach 20K+ reputation points plus she has many thousands of Curvage followers.

I really don't feel like checking for typos etc,.. so take this for what it's worth. Also I am well aware that this is by no means the unabridged version of the story so if I left something out please post and amend this thread with your updates.

is there anyone still around from the days of the yahoo groups or any of the pre-curvage days? what was this place called back in those days? i think it was fatcelebs.net but what was gaininggirlfriend and why is that stuck in my head? i thought it might be nice if we put a little history together for the newbies or even some old vets like me who just can't remember everything. the origins of curvage started back in the late '90s if i remember correctly, maybe it was the early '00s. either way curvage had a long and storied history before the nuke, i think it'd be nice to have a place where some of those stories are told before they r lost forever.

anyone remember the long battle between atlyesque and serendipitous at the old fatcelebs site? what were some other defining moment in the history leading up to the modern curvage?

I was never active on any of the old sites but I do recall the old thread showing the difference between atlyesque and serendipitous which I had never heard of prior to that.

I would suggest attempting to use the waybackmachine if you are wanting to see how some of the sites used to look but given how many sites used to pop up it would be hard to keep track of which ones were actually associated with one another. I know one of the first sites I found had some reference to a bench in its name and listed a few sites like fatnats.

• Moderators

Here's a timeline from my perspective, though some of the dates are fuzzy at best. Some of this is one huge *citation needed*, but I am recalling this to the best of my ability:

I happened upon FatCelebs during one of my nights of perusing link sections in Yahoo! Groups. By then, FatCelebs was a fairly small forum and the most popular sections were Celebs, Pictures, Off-Topic and the newly created Videos board because Youtube links started to invade Pictures. Serendipity, Atlya, Chapman, Jambolio, and Tiggerag are the moderators I remember. Luke was the admin. Notable members included Zachi, Vennie, Phalloidium, Flamins, and Loki. Not a whole lot of content was generated on a daily basis, I could easily scour the boards in an hour or so and not miss anything.

The site has been steadily gaining members. A few notable female members include Tiffany Lynn, Sara, Choco, Lulinix1 and Panda (something or other, she was friends with Tiffany). I make mention of them because I feel they were the pioneers in shifting FatCelebs from a 100% jerk-off site to a more community-focused celebration of curves. Off-Topic got so busy that it was broken into Serious Discussion, Chit Chat and The Abyss. I also became a moderator that year.

2007-2008

I do not remember the exact time it happened, but Curvage was born and FatCelebs became read-only for archival purposes. The whole idea was that the community had outgrown its name (the Celebs board was far from the top at that point), so it needed a new moniker. It was around this time when Luke shut down the forum. A simple page took its place saying he had lost interest and to contact him if someone wanted to take control. That is when Phalloidium/Phal/Spock took control and brought the forum back several days later. Unlike the last Curvage shutdown, all data was preserved. Curvage Chat was introduced, furthering the feeling of this being a community more than an off-hands content site.

2008-2012

This is the reign of Spock. During 2010 and 2011, Curvage had substantial downtime from hardware failure and viruses. At one point Curvage was down for several weeks, causing many people to go to other sites like LTC and FantasyFeeder. Shortly after Curvage was brought back, Spock had mentioned as early as 2011 that he was losing interest in maintaining the site and was looking for a replacement. Out of respect I will not dive into details, but there were several good reasons for his want to get out of the community limelight. In mid 2012, with no apparent warning, Curvage was completely wiped out. Unlike Luke's retirement, Curvage's data was not preserved and had to be completely restarted.

2012 - present day

S77 brought Curvage back and is the current administrator of the site. Some of the original moderator staff returned, including myself. The first few weeks consisted of people attempting to make Curvage exactly like it was before, right down to creating threads with the same names as before. However, a general consensus was reached that Curvage should evolve from the rebirth and not everything should be revived. As such, a lot of the popular sticky threads are no longer here, and the Familiar Faces has started from the beginning again.

1 - Thanks S77 for pointing out Lulinix as a prominent poster.

The earliest stuff on the old Curvage dated right back to January 2007, more than a year before I joined. I know I'm not alone in regarding the period 2008–2010 as in many ways the best years of the site. There were two prolonged downtimes in the spring of last year, and Spock updated the forum software, after which there were persistent problems with uploading pictures (and a lack of thumbnails) that remained unresolved right up to the site's sudden demise in late June this year.

On 9/7/2012 at 3:44 PM, gta said:

Here's a timeline from my perspective, though some of the dates are fuzzy at best. Some of this is one huge *citation needed*, but I am recalling this to the best of my ability:

I happened upon FatCelebs during one of my nights of perusing link sections in Yahoo! Groups. By then, FatCelebs was a fairly small forum and the most popular sections were Celebs, Pictures, Off-Topic and the newly created Videos board because Youtube links started to invade Pictures. Serendipity, Atlya, Chapman, Jambolio, and Tiggerag are the moderators I remember. Luke was the admin. Notable members included Zachi, Vennie, Phalloidium, Flamins, and Loki. Not a whole lot of content was generated on a daily basis, I could easily scour the boards in an hour or so and not miss anything.

The site has been steadily gaining members. A few notable female members include Tiffany Lynn, Sara, Choco and Panda (something or other, she was friends with Tiffany). I make mention of them because I feel they were the pioneers in shifting FatCelebs from a 100% jerk-off site to a more community-focused celebration of curves. Off-Topic got so busy that it was broken into Serious Discussion, Chit Chat and The Abyss. I also became a moderator that year.

2007-2008

I do not remember the exact time it happened, but Curvage was born and FatCelebs became read-only for archival purposes. The whole idea was that the community had outgrown its name (the Celebs board was far from the top at that point), so it needed a new moniker. It was around this time when Luke shut down the forum. A simple page took its place saying he had lost interest and to contact him if someone wanted to take control. That is when Phalloidium/Phal/Spock took control and brought the forum back several days later. Unlike the last Curvage shutdown, all data was preserved. Curvage Chat was introduced, furthering the feeling of this being a community more than an off-hands content site.

2008-2012

This is the reign of Spock. During 2010 and 2011, Curvage had substantial downtime from hardware failure and viruses. At one point Curvage was down for several weeks, causing many people to go to other sites like LTC and FantasyFeeder. Shortly after Curvage was brought back, Spock had mentioned as early as 2011 that he was losing interest in maintaining the site and was looking for a replacement. Out of respect I will not dive into details, but there were several good reasons for his want to get out of the community limelight. In mid 2012, with no apparent warning, Curvage was completely wiped out. Unlike Luke's retirement, Curvage's data was not preserved and had to be completely restarted.

2012 - present day

S77 brought Curvage back and is the current administrator of the site. Some of the original moderator staff returned, including myself. The first few weeks consisted of people attempting to make Curvage exactly like it was before, right down to creating threads with the same names as before. However, a general consensus was reached that Curvage should evolve from the rebirth and not everything should be revived. As such, a lot of the popular sticky threads are no longer here, and the Familiar Faces has started from the beginning again.

Your memory is horrifyingly sharp.

And man, I can't believe I've been knocking around here for seven years.

The site has been steadily gaining members. A few notable female members include Tiffany Lynn, Sara, Choco and Panda (something or other, she was friends with Tiffany). I make mention of them because I feel they were the pioneers in shifting FatCelebs from a 100% jerk-off site to a more community-focused celebration of curves. Off-Topic got so busy that it was broken into Serious Discussion, Chit Chat and The Abyss. I also became a moderator that year.

Don't forget Lulinix she had the highest female post count I believe.

Something that was important to me in my early days on Curvage (I joined in March 2008 but didn't start posting until the September) was the positive reception I received when I introduced myself. I remember that among the people who welcomed me were Luli, Serendipity and Atlya, and maybe even the Administrator himself. Little did I know that I, too, would become a moderator just over a year later. Of course, I should have said no, but there you go. ;D

this is taking off very well, I'm so glad I started this thread. It took me a few days but I finally found a clip from the old fourms I found. the file was dated Dec-2005, these were copied directly from the forum page itself so i'm sure the format isn't going to transfer that well. it's a great snapshot of what life was like back on the fatcelebs forum as we were still trying to define who we were and what we liked and I can tell you, these definitions are direct quotes from the legends themselves. and now, a snapshot of our past:

What exactly is "Serendipitous" ?

As my esteemed colleague Atlya brought to my attention, the issue of sizing jargon on this site had not been addressed and following his lead I will attempt to describe what "Serendipitous" actually is.

Atlya wrote:

"Serendipitous" is known to define the "bottom side" of the spectrum of "female fattractiveness" while "Atlyaesque" is known to cover the "upper side" of it!

This is the most basic description, ie. that the smaller girls are "Serendipitous" and the larger ones are "Atlyaesque". Currently there is no recognised term for people lying between the extremes (though "Chapmanly" has been mooted recently). The terms derive from our names and as such are a reflection for the general taste we exhibit. As such, it is unlikely someone is will exactly slot into the description "Atlyaesque" or "Serendipitous" but as a general guide it seems to be useful to indicate the size of the girl.

So...what makes a girl..."Serendipitous"?

Body Shape

Quote:

Size range: 8st (102lbs // 46kg) < Serendipitous < 12st (168lbs // 76kg)

As you can see, this gives quite a large amount of room for maneouvering (especially when height and build are considered) but it would be a good estimate that 10st (140lbs // 63kg) is the "Serendipitous" average.

I tend to prefer girls who still have a "figure", as in definable waist, hips etc rather than them being big all over. I'm not a fan of flab, but prefer a softness all over (so no abs! lol). I prefer arms and legs to be relatively shapely but not fat. A nice ass with some softness and tone. Small to medium sized breasts in proportion to the body. Nice hips which join well with the waist. As for the tummy, I enjoy anything so long as it isn't hard and flat! I generally prefer an hourglass figure.

Bonuses

Quote:

Girls with tans, nice smiles, dark hair, glasses, fantastic eyes, and wonderful lips. They are all little things that give a girl a little OOMPH when you look at her. I also am a total sucker for girly girls in pink but thats unrelated again! Under 5"9 (1.75m) is good (5"4 is super!). I like a girl who has some form of dress sense and is well groomed with pride in herself. I don't like unkempt "slobbish" or laddish girls. Smoking is something I dislike, but I won't judge someone on that basis.

As you can see its fairly simple in words, but its even simpler in pictures. This should provide a decent range of "Serendipitous" girls. I hope you now understand what the term should refer to...

You can also find more pictures with comments here: http://www.fatcelebs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422&highlight=serendipitous+selection

What exactly is “Atlyaesque" ?

Well, it seems that the term "Atlyaesque" is starting to be quite used around here so I tought a little "aparté" about it could be necessary, especially for the new ones around here!

For those who don't know the terms "Serendipitous" and "Atlyaesque", those are actually trying to define different tastes about "fat girls". They're named after two of the contributors of these boards, Serendipity and Atlya (myself).

Those terms appeared one day through the keyboard of a contributor (don't remember which one(s) tough).

"Serendipitous" is known to define the "bottom side" of the spectrum of "female fattractiveness" while "Atlyaesque" is known to cover the "upper side" of it!

As those terms seems to be liked around here especially in order to recognize your "peers" (not that I want to create groups but more to make everyone feeling less alone in their own "taste"), I've decided to explain myself a bit more about my own "Atlyaesque" taste in order to maybe define it a bit more!

So... what makes a fat girl... "Atlyaesque"?

• Body shape

Well, the easiest factor to take into account is, of course (should I say), SIZE ! When you have an "Atlyaesque" taste, it means you like your girls QUITE BIG !

Most of the time and number-wise, I'll say the minimum is about 220-230 pounds (100kgs+) and the maximum still to define at the moment.

Quantity ain't all of course! For my part I prefer the fat to be well "distributed" (as in "evenly distributed"), so I'm a sucker for anything fat (why limit oneself :P): fat bottom, fat thighs, belly, big breasts but also fat arms and a chubby/rounded face!

If it's not "evenly distributed", I still like it a lot if the "top" is smaller than the "bottom", like a pear-shape if you want!

• Non-physical bonuses

And here you are! Basically the "Atlyaesque" category just look for BIG bodies, it is just a category! Everyone have different tastes!

But after the look on the quantity of matter, there're still some bonuses to take into account: fashion-sense, face cuteness, pride (just a tad bit!)...

For my part I have a thing for "tropical" beauties like blacks/asians, and a couple of other things like redhead or glasses (here we're in the "accessories" section should I say :P).

Of course there are also several categories of malus that can apply such as: smoking, slutty behavior, etc...

Well here we are! It's not that complicate to understand! Maybe I'll go and edit this topic in the future if there's any need to it and I'll leave you with a couple of examples of "Atlyaesque" babes!

Peace!

• Moderators

Don't forget Lulinix she had the highest female post count I believe.

Updated my post, thanks for pointing this out! Don't know how I forgot to include Luli :)

Your memory is horrifyingly sharp.

And man, I can't believe I've been knocking around here for seven years.

Ha, my memory is so random. I can recall things like FatCelebs/Curvage history, but I will completely forget a conversation I had a week or two ago with someone. I also cannot believe I found this place seven years ago. Makes my college days seem more distant for some reason.

Arriving relatively later to the Curvage scene (late 2007), I found the histories revealing & interesting.

I've always been more of a lurker here, and regarded it as a strictly fap-oriented site (no offense to anyone),

but I can see there was a community of sorts that emerged.

I will say that the general vibe of Curvage Redux is more mellow and welcoming, and less aggressive & paranoid.

Now I'm no saint, but I've always found it difficult to engage the fellow Curvagers in anything than other silly arguments, and I'm pretty sure the ladies have mostly felt the same way.

We don't have to be all "new age" about it, but let's try to foster this mellow, cooperative spirit while this website still exists.

(looks around & taps microphone) *ahem* is this thing still on?

Here's the Curvage history from my perspective.

2003:

I started fapping.

2004:

I fapped.

2005:

I fapped.

2006:

I fapped.

2007:

I fapped.

2008:

I fapped.

2009:

I fapped.

2010:

I fapped.

2011:

I fapped.

2012:

I'm still fapping.

Jesus, that sounds painful.

Oh, come on! It's part of our history. You can't deny that.

I don't deny it (I don't care). I just said that I decided to remove it and pasting it here is not nice, that is all.

Awesome retrospective S77. Where does Stuffed Online fit into the timeline of early years stuff??? In my mind, that place was the spiritual precursor to the Fatcelebs site and Curvage in the sense that it was really diverse. It also was the birthplace of **, when he started posting material on that board of his girlfriend (and subsequently his first model) Raquel.