How to be healthier at any size

hisano_x

How to be healthier at any size:

1) Drink water!

Many people don’t realize how important hydration can be.  Water can decrease fatigue and give you more energy.  If you love to eat, then you should know that every part of digestion requires water.  It also keeps your skin healthy and helps maintain the pH balance of your oral cavity.  If you drink lots of soda, be sure to chase it with some water to prevent canker sores and other bothersome issues.  If you love your fat, then you should love water too—because fat is mostly water!

We've all heard the mantra of 8 glasses a day.  But the ideal amount is somewhere between 2-3 liters, depending on your body and level of activity.  Chances are, if you are bigger, you need to drink even more!  If 2-3 liters sounds like too much, then start by just adding an extra small cup to your daily routine in a place that works for you—with dinner, first thing in the morning, etc.  Water is crucial!

2) Feed yourself!

You might think that this is only important for people who don’t eat enough, but the truth is that even people who eat thousands upon thousands of calories can still be malnourished.  Your body needs more than calories to survive!  Make sure that when you eat, you are getting enough vitamins and minerals. 

If you’re a vegan or vegetarian, then do your research, and find out what beans or other foods you need to eat to get the essential amino acids that are required to support your body.  Even if you aren’t on a special diet, make sure you are eating foods rich in protein like fish—even a fish sandwich from a fast food restaurant is a rich source of amino acids.  They are critical for your immune system, and can even be a preventative measure against things like cancer and type II diabetes or the progression of type II diabetes.

3) Get a little exercise!

I’m not talking about running a marathon.  It’s the little things that count.  Do ten squats during commercials.  Park one row of cars further away from the grocery store.  Take the stairs instead of the elevator once a day.  One of the biggest struggles of being a bbw or a bhm is the toll it can take on your joints.  Strength training with periods of rest helps build muscles to support your awesomely big bod.  Putting on some extra muscle supports the skin and can give more “curve” appeal.  Plus, exercising is a powerful appetite stimulant!

4) Know your skin!

Let’s face it, the bigger you are, the more there is of you to keep track of!  Know which parts of your body tend to be dry, and which parts tend in the opposite direction.  If you have sensitive skin, use an unscented, pH neutral soap, especially on any areas of your body where skin is touching skin.  After you bathe, pat yourself dry (do not wipe dry—this can damage the skin), and moisturize the parts of your body that need it, such as your arms, face, and legs (the parts exposed to the sun and air).  If any skin-on-skin areas are red, puffy, itchy, or painful, use a medicated body powder after carefully patting dry.  Do not scratch these areas, and try to keep them as dry as possible until the itchiness or redness resolves.  Some people place a soft, powdered cloth between skin folds to help keep the area dry and happy until it heals.

For especially large people, regular skin checks are helpful—as often as every week or every other week.  Have a partner you are comfortable with help you out—he or she may notice something you don’t, or be able to see in places that are hidden from your view.  If you have any signs of infection, or a skin problem that doesn’t go away in a few days with over-the-counter medicines, see a doctor right away.

Hi everyone!  So sorry if this topic has already been addressed (it didn't show up for me in the search, so I thought I would give it a go).  If I haven't met you already, then I am very pleased to meet you.  I'm hisano--probably more well known (if known at all) as an FA/expansion artist on deviantart than as a health/lifestyle writer, but I've had these ideas now for a few days, and I thought I might share them just in case they are helpful to anyone.  Without sharing too many details, my educational background is in healthcare, so I'm not entirely blowing steam.

Anyway, if you all have questions, comments, stuff to add, complaints, malicious hexes, heckling, sarcasm, or anything else to say, I would love to hear them, and I promise I will at least feign an amused interest, and hopefully become your new friend!

Aside from the skin care, I had the same ideals about being healthy at whatever weight. I just say skin care cause i hadn't given it any thought. I say cut out soda almost completely and just have it as a treat. Soda is absolutely horrible water is where its at. Iced tea is ok but it does have a lot of sugar. My gf prefers to drink iced tea but I still encourage and buy her those big 24 packs of water. And i absolutely agree that you should get some exercise in everyday especially for the bigger people. I know some of us fat lovers worry about weight loss or stunted weight gain but really that is not going to happen unless they're into cross-fit stuff. This post actually reminded me too I gotta pick up some ladies vitamins/supplements. While the body does not readily absorb them as well as the foods that contain said vitamins/minerals, I'd like to believe some are absorbed or at least aid in absorption from foods. Gfs into veggies and fish amongst everything else which is why she has quite the healthy figure so that's good. lol I'm ranting through sloppily written text but I just wanted to respond because I find this a bit interesting. Whether it's bunk or not I feel that there has to be some truth to all this. Even for people at their "proper" weight.