Scottish independence

sbu

According to the polling company Yougov the latest survey regarding to Scottish independence (conducted for The Sunday Times) with less than two weeks to go until voting day, has YES at 51% and NO at 49%.

IndyRefSept.png

I wonder how likely it is, that Scotland becomes independent, since I have no further insight. Your thoughts?

Guest Professor Aronnax

With Scotland a part of Great Britain, England has lost all the fun of crushing the Scotts for 300 years.  When Scotland becomes an independent country, the English will finally be able to rebuild Hadrian's wall and then crush the Scotts good.  Three cheers for Prince William, the future "Hammer of the Scotts!"

If I understood well, Scotland would stay in the Commonwealth, in the European Union and won't change its currency to euros or a national one. So it's an independence de facto, so Scots would be richer and proud of their identity, but not de jure. Scotland would stay éven less independent than say, Australia and Canada.

"Vive le Québec libre!" Said De Gaulle, and so few have changed politically speaking for our remote cousins by the way.

Now, as polls predict a very close vote in the upcoming referendum on Scottish independence, UK Chancellor George Osborne says  that the government is finalizing plans to give Scotland "much greater" fiscal and tax autonomy, and will unveil the proposals in the coming days.  ;D

Who knows, maybe 300 years of humiliation are finally enough.

If I understood well, Scotland would stay in the Commonwealth, in the European Union and won't change its currency to euros or a national one. So it's an independence de facto, so Scots would be richer and proud of their identity, but not de jure. Scotland would stay éven less independent than say, Australia and Canada.

"Vive le Québec libre!" Said De Gaulle, and so few have changed politically speaking for our remote cousins by the way.

Québec was close in 1995, 50,58 % said No, 49,42 % said Yes.

Now, as polls predict a very close vote in the upcoming referendum on Scottish independence, UK Chancellor George Osborne says  that the government is finalizing plans to give Scotland "much greater" fiscal and tax autonomy, and will unveil the proposals in the coming days.

post-2223-14513492898567_thumb.jpg

What is "devolution"?

Scotland and Wales already have "devolved" governments. It just means that the money from each country still goes to London but then London give x million pounds back to Scotland and Wales for them to spend on like they see fit. Like giving a child pocket money and then telling them to spend it only on stuff they NEED.

Edit: I'm sure you'll agree that was a terrible explanation.

Some more basics. Edinburgh is where the Scottish parliament buildings are and they prime minister there isn't allowed to be called primes minister. He is only allowed the title "first minister"

Also, I'm from Scotland and I'll be voting next week. If anyone wants to ask any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Scotland and Wales already have "devolved" governments. It just means that the money from each country still goes to London but then London give x million pounds back to Scotland and Wales for them to spend on like they see fit. Like giving a child pocket money and then telling them to spend it only on stuff they NEED.

Edit: I'm sure you'll agree that was a terrible explanation.

Some more basics. Edinburgh is where the Scottish parliament buildings are and they prime minister there isn't allowed to be called primes minister. He is only allowed the title "first minister"

Also, I'm from Scotland and I'll be voting next week. If anyone wants to ask any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

For some reason I was reminded of this: Secret oil finds dossier released.  ;D

Maybe I've still the chants of the game Germany vs. Scotland from yesterday on my mind: "We Hate England More Than You". ;-)

For some reason I was reminded of this: Secret oil finds dossier released.  ;D

Maybe I've still the chants of the game Germany vs. Scotland from yesterday on my mind: "We Hate England More Than You". ;-)

I don't hate the English, one bit. I have a strong dislike for the rich elite controlling the lives of the many. As of today, those elite just so happen to be in England.

I don't hate the English, one bit. I have a strong dislike for the rich elite controlling the lives of the many. As of today, those elite just so happen to be in England.

How many countries can you name where the lives of the many are not controlled by the rich elite?

This is exactly the point; it's not the English, it's the upper-class. It's the ones, who gamble on food prices. I still wonder why the "common English man (and woman)" doesn't protest.

How many countries can you name where the lives of the many are not controlled by the rich elite?

I'll admit that it is the same almost everywhere. But there is little democracy in Scotland because there are as many people in Scotland as in London! More in London, in fact. So our vote doesn't count for much in a general election.

It's not about rich and poor. It's about fairness.  We have one of the greatest healthcare systems in the world and it is being sold off because 47 members of parliament have shares in private healthcare companies. And then they lie and say "it's too expensive. It's too inefficient"

The most exciting thing is that politics has finally become exciting in the UK!

I think you could look at it as an opportunity for Scotland to secure their place in Europe and disassociate themselives from what is a fairly toxic brand - i.e. The UK.  The UK will be haivng a vote next year on whether or not it should be part of the EU, in all likelihood the public will vote us out due to the almost constant negative press from the right wing papers in the UK (Express, Mail, Telegraph, etc). An independent Scotland could ensure it stays part of the EU.

I hope Scotland becomes independent.  Smaller countries are more efficient and more democratic.  Scots could start to look after it's citizens rather than pandering to the richest sections of society as is currently the case in the UK. They could even use their oil money to set up something amazing like the Norweigan public oil fund (eveyone is Norway is effectively a millionnaire due to the government saving a proportion of their oil revenues - everyone who lives in an oil producing country should be outraged at their gvt for not doing the same thing). 

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/13/north-sea-oil-money-uk-norwegians-fund

The UK will be haivng a vote next year on whether or not it should be part of the EU,

You mean getting out of it totally altogether?

If it's true it'd be the best news of that year.