Game Changer

maxymumspyder

You could just turn off your notifications for the thread. Some relaxation breathing might be in order as well.

To answer everyone's question, I'm hoping to get the remaining chapters posted by the weekend. I've been busy with some other things, including working on a sample scene for another story I'm considering writing. I might share that if anyone is interested.

Such a great story. Not sure what direction you're going in next, but IMHO what this story could really use more of, now that Lexi has hit this size, is Lexi interacting socially with people besides Sarah - other old female friends, the men who used to ogle her, etc.

I'm enjoying both the level of detail and the dialogue here in this story. Lexi's progression from active to sedentary is covered realistically, as is Sarah's transition.

I also like from a story telling point of view how Sarah changed into a much more vindictive girl than Lexi in the first place. By contrast, Lexi didn't seem actively cruel in the first chapter, merely contemptuous to those she didn't know and insensitive to Sarah's feelings.

Thus, I'm hoping that while Lexi doesn't actually lose weight, I do hope she winds up having some form of happy ending. Not always going to happen, I know, but there's room for hope.

• 2 weeks later...

I will put the final chapter on this soon. I've just been preoccupied with a million other things lately. Then I'll make a decision on whether or not to start another story.

Where's the point in starting another story? This story is good enough, yet you want to destroy it abruptly.

I'm not a big fan of writing chapter wise anyway, I think it's much better to sit down half a year and write it from beginning 'till end instead of putting out one part after another, like some cow shitting after eating too much grass on a field, seriously.

This is no criticism though, do what you want I'm just putting in my two cents 'cause that's what I usually do on this board.

LOL. Well, that was one of the stranger replies I have ever received. Nonetheless, I think I understand your point.

The problem with sitting down and writing something from beginning to end is that I lack the motivation to do that. I tend to churn out content when I'm inspired to do so. If I made my living from writing fiction, which I do not, I would be forced to write something from start to finish. That's why so much of the fiction you see goes chapter by chapter.

As far as "destroying it abrutply"... Well, I'm not entire sure what you mean? I probably could've closed the book on this piece last chapter. It's ten chapters long at this point. After I finished Downward Trend, I promised myself I wouldn't ever write anything that long again.

You asked what the point would be to starting another story? The short answer is that I have other creative writing ideas, themes, and characters I would like to explore. I also think other people would enjoy reading new pieces. There is certainly no guarantee I will get around to ever writing something again.

Thank you very much for your commentary. I appreciate you reading the story and thinking well enough of it to proclaim it to be good.

Downward Trend never really had much direction beyond some imagery I had in my head regarding Nicole. The updates were so infrequent b/c my inspiration really waned, once I realized how large the story was becoming. A clear picture began to manifest itself somewhere in the last six parts. It was like pulling teeth at the end to find the motivation to bring it to a close.

To me, the fun in writing these pieces comes from the journey the characters take. The ending is far less important than the content that comprises the previous parts of the story. Perhaps that is a bad way to write something. I remember when The Sopranos ended and people flipped out about how it ended. I think we often forget, as entertainment consumers, that the journey comprises the majority of a story. The ending is just that, the end.

Not that I am comparing myself at all to David Chase, or The Sopranos television series, but I guess I take a similar approach to some of these stories. If someone wants to pay me to produce fiction, I would certainly have a different approach (I'm not suggesting that either). Most of my stories are based on some manifestation of real life people or experiences I have witnessed. This one in particular is based loosely around two people I know, that are friends. One has gained a boatload of weight over the past few years. The other is quite slim, fit, and trim. Game Change was my own exploration into what would happen if those roles were reversed.

As for future ideas for stories, I'll share two of them right here. Another illustrious member of this community has helped me develop some of these ideas into a rough outline:

1.) The Thesis - A classically hot grad students wants to do her research on what happens to attractive people, psychologically speaking, when they begin to gain weight. The only problem is that she can't find any willing test subjects to participate in the study. With her proposal approaching, she lies to her advisor and says she has willing subjects. Only, she intends to do the experiment on herself. Loss of control follows.

2.) This is less of a story and more of an idea for a scene, which is what Downward Trend was born from. Former standout athlete has now put on about 30 pounds. Coworkers invite her to play in the company softball game. She makes a fool of herself, striking out weakly at the plate and making a slow awkward fool of her in the outfield. I haven't figured out what the story would be around that.