Err... is this becoming like the facebook for fat admiring...

Guest Atlya

Do you like the direction the forum is going, functionality wise (community stuff, likes, etc)?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction the forum is going, functionality wise (community stuff, likes, etc)?

• Sure, that's what it's meant to be
    • Not sure, it depends how much the staff is willing to put such stuff in
    • I kinda liked when it was more content oriented
    • I think I'm hating it

Guest Atlya

Like button on post, tags that can be added (no idea how they can be useful but whatever)...

I personally can't stand stuff like that, "community" stuff as you'd probably like to call it...

If that's the case and that you intend to add facebook and twitter options...

Well, err, that'd be a bummer... :/

those like's have nothing to do with facebook. It's a way to collect thread feedback beyond just the number of replies. Especially considering many people don't bother to reply.  Ultimately it's about having ways to find the best content on Curvage and making Curvage more useful.

It encourages and provides feedback to contributors and provides users with new ways to interact with the community and search for content. 

Thus saying this is less "content oriented" is a miss, because it's all about content. More efficient ways to search for and manage the content.

We need to keep improving the usefulness of Curvage and continue to find ways to make Curvage better deliver what people want.

8 year old forum software isn't competitive these days. I see no harm in adding some useful features.

Please note that I always consider the habits of older members I try to make changes that won't alter the experience and behaviors of older members. You should be able to view threads, and images in exactly the same way as always only hopefully with increasingly more new content available to you. 

Guest Atlya

Could the like button be at least moved? It's too close to the quote one don't you think?

And I dunno, it'll just encourage bitchy behaviour and discourage people who don't get enough "likes"... all that "community competition" is never good in my eyes. But whatever, you've got the keys, it's your site, your decisions, I understand that...

Also, what's up with this page? A giant picture at the top breaks it...

Could the like button be at least moved? It's too close to the quote one don't you think?

And I dunno, it'll just encourage bitchy behaviour and discourage people who don't get enough "likes"... all that "community competition" is never good in my eyes. But whatever, you've got the keys, it's your site, your decisions, I understand that...

Also, what's up with this page? A giant picture at the top breaks it...

I understand your skepticism, I too am concerned about those issues. It's for this reason that I didn't go with an ordinal rating system like stars. A like is just something that you can collect for good posts.

I have nothing but the best intentions here.  Also.. WOW.. what is up with that page??? That's not good at all. the thumbnail didn't work for it.

I like the premise, Also I see your point. But I think what SuperJ is trying to achieve is pushing the very best content to the top of the pile and helping weed out some of the Chaff. Notice theres no dislike option.

Whilst it's brilliant that the community does have such diverse tastes and interests, including the varied responses to many posts, sometimes the best posts can be looked over, especially by new people to a site like this. Making changes and test running them can only prove to benefit in the end, The new ideas of Tagging, makes sense it's giving each poster a chance to add a specific tag that allows people to make their searches even more direct.

In response to Mike, Just look at the recent update to the image uploading software, it is making the place easier to use. In some ways I'd see that as a massive benefit. But you say Clutter, when really One button and the option to tag is just that options, new options for "lurkers" and "silent community people" It allows a new simple way for people to interact :)

Guest Atlya

Oh, i see it. Impressive how i missed it.

Because you did not try to like a post? :P

I like the premise, Also I see your point. But I think what SuperJ is trying to achieve is pushing the very best content to the top of the pile and helping weed out some of the Chaff. Notice theres no dislike option.

Whilst it's brilliant that the community does have such diverse tastes and interests, including the varied responses to many posts, sometimes the best posts can be looked over, especially by new people to a site like this. Making changes and test running them can only prove to benefit in the end, The new ideas of Tagging, makes sense it's giving each poster a chance to add a specific tag that allows people to make their searches even more direct.

In response to Mike, Just look at the recent update to the image uploading software, it is making the place easier to use. In some ways I'd see that as a massive benefit. But you say Clutter, when really One button and the option to tag is just that options, new options for "lurkers" and "silent community people" It allows a new simple way for people to interact :)

Well, it'll help certain content to be pushed above the rest, yeah, but only the content pushed by the "majority". A certain majority, and I'm not convinced it'll be good to uniformize the community because it'll make the other majorities less prone to post.

Bah, put it on my skepticism towards democracies of all kinds... :P

I don't like this, either.  I understand the idea behind all this new stuff, but in practice I think it is just excess clutter.  Sometimes less is more; I think this forum should stick to the previous, very simple, basic, easy-to-use, content-oriented format.

I hate to say this but I agree.

I've always said that the idea of a message board built around this fetish has a natural limit in terms of how many contributing users it can attract. I don't think having more or less bells and whistles will change that.

Really, the reasons sites like FantasyFeeder and... well, just FantasyFeeder, are successful is that they're quick and simple for letting people get on with the basic task of posting and viewing pictures, and by extension each others' profiles. Community discussion is secondary, aside from the inane chatbox banter - otherwise it's just a central hub for the picture content, and a profile system for easily stalking people. The primary lubricant for this entire community - fat girls - is usually lured in to sites like FF because they're guaranteed to get very quick gratification by posting pictures, without the social pressure to participate in conversation any more than they'd like. To a lot of these girls, the idea of a message board will always seem ridiculous.

Whether you can pull off having the best of both worlds - a conversation-driven community and a pictures/profiles based site - remains to be seen, but within the confines of a message board I don't think there's much you can add to draw in more people.

I've always said that the idea of a message board built around this fetish has a natural limit in terms of how many contributing users it can attract. I don't think having more or less bells and whistles will change that.

Really, the reasons sites like FantasyFeeder and... well, just FantasyFeeder, are successful is that they're quick and simple for letting people get on with the basic task of posting and viewing pictures, and by extension each others' profiles. Community discussion is secondary, aside from the inane chatbox banter - otherwise it's just a central hub for the picture content, and a profile system for easily stalking people. The primary lubricant for this entire community - fat girls - is usually lured in to sites like FF because they're guaranteed to get very quick gratification by posting pictures, without the social pressure to participate in conversation any more than they'd like. To a lot of these girls, the idea of a message board will always seem ridiculous.

Whether you can pull off having the best of both worlds - a conversation-driven community and a pictures/profiles based site - remains to be seen, but within the confines of a message board I don't think there's much you can add to draw in more people.

I think you're right on the money. Having to communicate is so much work for some people. I think even beyond FF sites like Tumblr and instagram are really taking off for the exact reasons you've stated. I don't know why Curvage is so centered around message boards, it's just how it's always been.  I could use gallery and refocus the entire site around pictures and make forums be a back option but you see how a small change like a thumb up option makes some people react. I don't think that much change will be well supported by current Curvage users. Although, I think a thumbs up is a easy bit of feed back that doesn't require conversation. There is still yet potential.

Guest primitive

I think "likes" is a great way of making the site into a pointless popularity contest. All it's really going to achieve is offend people when they get less likes than other posters, and probably discourage them from posting at all as a result.

As for the whole gallery vs. message boards thing, I think that there is value in having a way for people to communicate, even if its 3/5 fawning, 1/5 CreepyChris, and 1/5 actual conversation. Not much point in making Curvage a clone of FF.

Guest themajesstic

I think "likes" is a great way of making the site into a pointless popularity contest. All it's really going to achieve is offend people when they get less likes than other posters, and probably discourage them from posting at all as a result.

Seconded.

:thumbsup: is such a polysemic icon when you think about it.

That could mean: "I am too lazy to make a sentence expressing how much I like what it have been said/shown..."

" I am so amazed by someone's beauty (e.g. in this very thread) that I have lost the ability of making sentences but want her to know I am a fan of hers."

" I like to think I am a Roman Emperor and have to save someone's life by randomly rising my thumb"

" My account has been hacked and someone else has found funny spamming each and every thread with rising thumbs everywhere"

"I have a thumb fetish, lick mine baby"

I also have already seen a "thumbs up" battle between male posters to see how much of them one could add to make his compliment toward a beautiful woman stronger.

And if I were a female poster, I would prefer finding my future husband here that being single and having the most thumbs up on the site.

As said above though, the mass picture uploading option that came with that is a good thing.

As for the whole gallery vs. message boards thing, I think that there is value in having a way for people to communicate, even if its 3/5 fawning, 1/5 CreepyChris, and 1/5 actual conversation. Not much point in making Curvage a clone of FF.

This isn't what I meant. At best, I was saying that hypothetically if on wished to make this site more popular, adding a gallery and profile function on top of the existing forum would be the best bet. Whether that ends up diminishing the value of the message board, I couldn't say. Well, actually I could guess and say that it'd reduce the threads dedicated to girls to zero (as they'd have their profiles and gallery), but as to the actual conversation, it could go either way.

Again, I'm playing devil's advocate. I'd like to see this site take what's good away from FF without all the scum that comes with it, and simultaneously maintain its conversational foundation, but I'm not really advocating anything.

This isn't what I meant. At best, I was saying that hypothetically if on wished to make this site more popular, adding a gallery and profile function on top of the existing forum would be the best bet. Whether that ends up diminishing the value of the message board, I couldn't say. Well, actually I could guess and say that it'd reduce the threads dedicated to girls to zero (as they'd have their profiles and gallery), but as to the actual conversation, it could go either way.

Again, I'm playing devil's advocate. I'd like to see this site take what's good away from FF without all the scum that comes with it, and simultaneously maintain its conversational foundation, but I'm not really advocating anything.

Personally I love the ideas you have here but I'm also thinking that introducing a profile and gallery system on curvage would just be a lot of hassle and pointless, currently if you want to see more images of one particular girl you can quite easily click their profile already and have a browse through their posts as the majority of paysite content is all on one account from what i've seen.

What i think the point of the Like system is, comes down to the idea of perhaps someone makes a brilliant useful sugestions for the forum and lots of people read it and like it, thus enabling SuperJ to find that brilliant suggestion much quicker.

Another thing is that by liking peoples posts of Conversation within threads will boost the visibility of that thread allowing more people to see that thread quicker so they may find themselves wanting to join in. So not as much about a popularity contest but rather about people being able to find the very best and interesting conversations quicker....

Or i'm just just speaking utter rubbish haha

I really do appreciate all of the feed back and brain storming. I understand that the balance of a website can be delicate so it makes since that some would be concerned when they spot changes.

With regard to what someone said about FF; Yes, FF does what they do very well and we don't need to be them. Curvage however, does many things very well and conversation based picture boards for a wide variety of different types of curvy girl images is what WE DO WELL. Actually we are the best!

But being the best doesn't mean we don't have opportunity. We have the opportunity to pull in more girls who would like to model their curves on our boards. FF has been particularly good at attracting women who are willing to post.  As aforementioned, it's possible this is because of the structure based around easy image posting and quick feed back. 

Thus in this thread talk about a gallery for the profiles has arisen. Having owned and managed LTC for many years I can tell you there are some draw backs with regard to maintaining forums while simultaneously hosting a separate profile picture gallery. It gets confusing. Users wonder where they should post images, in the profile or in the forums. It's decentralized and thus unnecessary complications arise. Not to mention it takes away from forum based conversation around said images.

As a response to the above, I think I have a nifty solution which is already implemented. Profiles now show images a user has posted in the forums. If clicking on the image in the profile it links to the forum post where the image was attached. Currently it's set up such that in order to get your pictures to show on your profile they must be posted in a thread started by the respective user and posted by the respective user in either the pictures of you (women or men) forums. This means in most cases pictures of the user themselves will be posted on their profile. Best part is conversation stays in the forums.  BAM!!!!

It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.

C. S. Lewis

post-1-14513474773816_thumb.png

With regard to use case for a like button. As I said before it's all about content management. There are lots of post at Curvage, much of which are worthlessly lost after falling from the first page. More ways to find good stuff is the thought behind tags, and likes. We have a wide age range of internet users here at Curvage. I feel our younger users who have largely embraced Instagram, Tumblr etc are quite familiar with a like button and are going to feel comfortable with it. 

LIKE BUTTON AT CURVAGE DOES NOT LINK TO YOUR FACEBOOK. It's a Curvage only thing

I think it adds an extra layer of fun. It sits neatly out of the way and it gives contributors multiple ways to receive feedback from members.  So now instead of only a few comments, even lurkers are getting in on the feedback. More feed back for contributors is a good thing. They need to feel appreciated. Plus it's a really handy way to say thank you in threads such as the best of ff where it would be silly to interrupt each update with a comment.

• It can help easily book mark topics you like
  • It can help you sort for most liked topics
  • It can be used with a search feature as a limiting factor

post-1-14513474774803_thumb.png

post-1-14513474775116_thumb.png

post-1-14513474775443_thumb.png

post-1-14513474775575_thumb.png