Fast gains & stretch marks

Guest leahvogt

Guest leahvogt

I have a question about stretch marks - I gained 8 lbs. over the past 2 weeks and noticed that I'm starting to develop new stretch marks on my outer thighs.

I already have some faint ones there from when I was in High School but the new ones that just popped up this morning are red and it is kind of freaking me out because I am worried I'm going to start getting them everywhere the more weight I gain. Ironically, my belly, which stretches out to enormous proportions from all the food I stuff into it, doesn't have any so far.

Do you think slowing my gain may prevent them from forming, or is it inevitable that I am going to get them all over no matter what I do? My desire to be fat outweighs my dislike of the stretch marks, so it won't deter me from achieving my goal weight - but if there is something I can do to minimize them, I'd love to know.

I heard that cocoa butter doesn't really help, and that it's largely based on genetics.

Guest temporary

While it's true that skin elasticity has a genetic component, I've heard good things from gainers about cocoa butter at least helping to make stretch marks fade more quickly. YMMV however.

Guest leahvogt

Thanks so much Allie!! I was thinking the same thing - just surrender to the reality that I'm going to get them & keep focused on gaining no matter the cost.....I sure love this forum, makes me feel not so alone, and it's so great connecting with people I can relate to!:)

I saw something on WebMD about stretch marks in regards to pregnancy, and the conclusion was that there's nothing you can do to stop them when it comes to creams and what not. Slowing your gain might be successful, though, since the stretch marks develop because you're growing faster than your skin is able to grow. But maybe they'll be less distressing after having them for a bit.

Guest leahvogt

I saw something on WebMD about stretch marks in regards to pregnancy, and the conclusion was that there's nothing you can do to stop them when it comes to creams and what not. Slowing your gain might be successful, though, since the stretch marks develop because you're growing faster than your skin is able to grow. But maybe they'll be less distressing after having them for a bit.

That's what I was wondering! I've been so enthusiastic about gaining, I didn't even stop to consider whether 4 lbs a week is too much / too fast. Maybe I'll tone it down some & try the slow & steady method. lol Thank you:)!

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of context here. The average weight gain during pregnancy is 12 kilos or about 26 pounds over the space of nine months, and some stretch marks are expected. No matter how slowly you try to fatten up, chances are you're going to want to go faster than 3 pounds a month, so stretch marks are just going to come with the territory. Don't worry about it.

Many good points made above.

1. There's nothing wrong with stretch marks. Some people like them, some people hate them, and some people don't care.

2. Being positive and realistic about your body is great. Stretch marks are a part of gaining, and they will fade.

3. Gaining slowly will put less stress on your body, and might reduce stretch marks.

4. You get to choose how you want to gain. Gaining quickly is different from gaining slowly.

Meeting goals is exciting, so gaining quickly is exciting. If you gain slowly, you get to spend more time in the process of gaining. 3 pounds per month is exciting to me, but a lot of people would barely notice it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leahvogt

How long before they fade to white? I forgot! I don't even remember mine being red when I got them in High School (I have a horrible memory!).

Thank you for all the wonderful responses! I don't think I will ever "love" red marks on my body but I think I will be less freaked out when they do start appearing now (the ones I thought were stretch marks when I posted this were scratch marks lol - sorry false alarm).