Where are all the cute artsy FA's?!

Guest Atlya

I think she just means stylish according to the current trends of young people in the US.

OK, sorry but that does not help one bit... :P

I don't know the exact definition but from what I've gathered, it's kind of negative...

OK, sorry but that does not help one bit... :P

I don't know the exact definition but from what I've gathered, it's kind of negative...

"Hipsters" are young American men and women typically under the age of 30 stereotyped as wanting to appear "alternative" by culturally appearing to be both traditional as well as highly progressive. It's best illustrated in "their" love for contemporary folk music (typically played on guitar), underground artists, pride in their choice in coffee beans and brands as well as their non-corporation-chain coffee shop, a slightly rustic attire that may or may not be limited to trench coats, black rimmed glasses, beanies or cabbie hats, fedoras (not to be confused with neckbeards), vests, button down plaid shirts, unusual non-jeans denim apparel, and a certain sense of entitlement when it comes to alerting others of how "different" or not-mainstream they are. Other common traits are vegetarianism/veganism, environmental awareness, and social justice advocates, and the infamous pride in "liking something before it was cool/popular."

Overall, by striving to keep an identity based on certain attire, taste in music, and political/social views and even diets, they are the perfect tragic foil to the American mainstream culture - which follows a similar architecture on a larger scale but with different preferences for everything. By simultaneously refusing to conform to pop culture, and doing so in the exact same way in large numbers, hipsters *are* pop culture by default. Often this irony is seen by folks who do not identify with being hipsters, and consequentially does not go over well in conversation with hipsters who insist they do not conform, be it through denial or ignorance.

This is made to be a point in humor, and can be used as a stereotype to describe one's appearance or behavior, as it has been in this thread pertaining to appearance.

Hippest of the hip, checking in here. :P

Why the hate? We are all entitled to what we find attractive. Just like you're on this site because you like larger women, right?

Yes, but we can all agree that larger women are objectively the best kind of women.  Hipsters, on the other hand, are vapid, childish self-indulgent cretins who are poor specimens of manhood.  Your ovaries will not thank you for being attracted to such inferior categories of male. 

I think that can be translated to "you are attracted to a type other than myself".

Dammit, you're on to me.

Guest Atlya

Damn, I did not mean for this to derail so much. :P

"cute artsy" would have been enough (altough not quite as specific as it could be). So, tattooed, slim with tight pants, kind of "alternative" look and in that region...

Anyway, I don't have tatoos, I don't live in Massachushets/Boston and I'm not even sure I can be depicted as cute so I'm still wondering why I'm posting/argueing in this thread. XP

Anyway! Time for sleep! BB! ^^

...So, tattooed, slim with tight pants, kind of "alternative" look and in that region...

Unfortunately, tight pants is the fashion in the States, and for men of varying sizes, including those outside the obvious hipster designation. Even if I want to wear slacks instead of skinny jeans, I have to choose between being in style or being comfortable, because I have big thighs and am not used to having my junk compressed.

I suspect that hipster males have lower fertility rates, which is fine, because they probably aren't ready to have kids yet, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest newfoundfat

well this kinda describes me.  but i just like to skateboard and thats the culture im in and around.  i am an imbecile.