Different Species at the Olympics

rested

Ive been watching the olympics this weekend with my girlfriend (24).

Watching Jess Ennis get the Heptathalon Gold, my girlfriend remarked -

"her body is so different from mine, it's as if she is a different species!"

Pictures attached of Jess Ennis, well done Jess for the Olympic gold, and my gf, a different species? Both gorgeous.

70222_ec0cfc6f6e4d899c87c73aa563f8cae78a232937.jpg

Guest Atlya

Jusging by the pictures only, I'll pass both. Your GF's pics aren't good enough and the first one must be shopped like crazy.

Your girlfriend looks lovely, yeah she has a different body shape, but she probably has her own strong points. Jess Ennis like most women has pressure to look a certain way. Just because she looks a certain way doesn't mean she hasn't felt that pressure.

So yeah she is the same species and I think your GF might be surprised how similar her worries and pressures might be.

My question is, why did she say that? As FitandCurvy stated, perhaps she's hinting that she wants to become a bit more fit.

However, we really shouldn't be comparing humans as "different species." We're all the same in terms of being homo sapiens. But it's just that Ennis has been training for years to do this sort of thing. Which also means she's had a lot more vigorous training to stick to and perhaps even more pressure to keep her physique at peak form.

Also, studies have stated that Olympians generally are born with the bodies to do the sports that they do. Like Micheal Phelps, he has the ideal swimmer's body. Long torso, long arms.... ect.  Just like some people are artistically minded when they are born, some are just programmed to do well at sports.

Realistically, we're all humans, but much like with butterflies, you're going to have all different sorts of variety in terms of wings and bodies. Same goes for humans, besides the wings. We all have different bodies. I don't even see why this needs to be discussed. I know it was perhaps an interesting thought of "she's a different species," but in essence, you know that we're all homo sapiens. Thus are we really discussing body types? Or are we really trying to say that Olympians are not homo sapiens?

• 2 weeks later...