Fitness trainer's weight gain – 40 pounds in 12 weeks

tinygi

Guest Atlya

I agree, but people are harassing her. Worse yet, people from Curvage are harassing her.

Here's a comment from a prevalent Curvage user in the YouTube comments:

Insults notwhithstanding, I agree with that comment... she does NOT put herself in the same situation than most her most "problematic" clientèle... there's no denying that. It's a step sure, but a negligible one indeed...

Would be pretty ironic if she found it really hard to lose all this weight she's put on. A little part of me thought that this whole idea was kind of arrogant in a "yo fatties, look how easy this is!" sort of way.

Oh, I think that really sums up her entire message, actually.

She looks so much happier in these last two videos. No matter how hot her gain was, she was not looking happy at all by week twelve. Good for her.

I really, really could not care less about her mental wellbeing. The arrogant little twit staged all this to show up curvy women and conduct a little shameless marketing. If she felt bad, then that's excellent.

• Moderators

She looks so much happier in these last two videos. No matter how hot her gain was, she was not looking happy at all by week twelve. Good for her.

There's a lot to be said about eating a (more) balanced diet and getting some exercise. You don't have to take it to the level she does, but just substituting some salad for french fries at lunch/dinner and getting in a 20-30 minute walk most nights can make a difference. I know my body starts aching and I start feeling tired through most of the day when I fall back into bad eating habits and work out less.

Oh, I think that really sums up her entire message, actually.

I really, really could not care less about her mental wellbeing. The arrogant little twit staged all this to show up curvy women and conduct a little shameless marketing. If she felt bad, then that's excellent.

Or she went on a bulk to gain muscle and is now cutting to look toned? That's how weight lifters operate, and its obvious from her channel that she lifts, she was lifting during the bulk too. Not everyone has an evil agenda, stay positive.

Or she went on a bulk to gain muscle and is now cutting to look toned? That's how weight lifters operate, and its obvious from her channel that she lifts, she was lifting during the bulk too. Not everyone has an evil agenda, stay positive.

Maybe, but then why make the whole set of videos about her specifically *gaining* the weight only to go ahead and lose it right away. If she really wanted to do it right she'd put on 80 lbs like a lot of girls wind up putting on between college weight gain, work-related stress, slow metabolism, kids, etc and try to lose it without the fitness advantage that she has going into it. If I were a girl struggling with body image, this video would not help me at all. In fact, I feel like I might feel worse about myself or just find myself hating her.

All this being said, she does look good in the before/after clip she did in the final week.

Guest Ms. LovelyMeow

Using the current fitness motif, I think a good way to look at it is to imagine her training on a treadmill at the gym - she steps on, starts her routine and turns towards you.

"I'm starting on 20, but in a few seconds I'll turn it up to 40 - it might seem like a leap, but anyone is capable of doing it if they've had years of proper training, discipline and determination like I do."

You would laugh your ass off if she went to turn around and nearly tripped herself reaching for the control panel.

Serves 'er right, mate. 

Maybe, but then why make the whole set of videos about her specifically *gaining* the weight only to go ahead and lose it right away. If she really wanted to do it right she'd put on 80 lbs like a lot of girls wind up putting on between college weight gain, work-related stress, slow metabolism, kids, etc and try to lose it without the fitness advantage that she has going into it. If I were a girl struggling with body image, this video would not help me at all. In fact, I feel like I might feel worse about myself or just find myself hating her.

All this being said, she does look good in the before/after clip she did in the final week.

Ah, so this probably would enrage you too: e01d440671c7ec49d3f760fb71f8b512.jpg?itok=3ukx46zY

Also ITT: "h..how DARE she not stay chubby! I'm gonna poke holes in the validity of her demonstration! That'll take her down a peg!"

Oh please. I don't think anyone seriously thought that. Everyone here gets what she's doing, some of us just think it's a pretty rude thing to do in the name of making a point. Most people don't respond well to antagonism, so how is making fat people feel like crap b/c the weight doesn't fall off for them going to help them lose weight? It's an interesting idea, but again I think the application could have been worked better.

Ah, so this probably would enrage you too: e01d440671c7ec49d3f760fb71f8b512.jpg?itok=3ukx46zY

Yeah that does piss me off. There's nothing wrong with making a change in your life if you're not happy and that's great for her that she was able to lose all that weight. That being said all this does is antagonize people who weren't as lucky in losing their weight. Not everyone is able to make the sacrifices she probably made in order to lose the weight. Also having a base level of fitness makes this sort of thing way easier.

A few people would see this and get fired up and work harder, but most would probably just get upset and feel even worse about themselves. Her phrasing on that photo is purposefully aggressive, making people feel like it's their fault that they didn't lose weight as they've been making "excuses". A lot of people though this was fat shaming at the time and I agree. Being healthy is great, being a dick about it is does more harm than good especially since a lot of people struggling with body issues are going to be especially sensitive about to begin with.

On a side note, Maria Kang (the woman in that picture) is self-employed and currently works as a "freelance writer". What that means is that she owns her own schedule. If she needs to take some extra time to work out more to lose weight, she can put off articles a few hours and do them after dinner. Most people don't run their own businesses and instead are at the whims of their employers. Especially jobs with lots of travel, uneven hours, and high stress make it difficult to stay fit. I just resent the lack of context in her whole campaign. Context is everything.

Yeah that does piss me off. There's nothing wrong with making a change in your life if you're not happy and that's great for her that she was able to lose all that weight. That being said all this does is antagonize people who weren't as lucky in losing their weight. Not everyone is able to make the sacrifices she probably made in order to lose the weight. Also having a base level of fitness makes this sort of thing way easier.

A few people would see this and get fired up and work harder, but most would probably just get upset and feel even worse about themselves. Her phrasing on that photo is purposefully aggressive, making people feel like it's their fault that they didn't lose weight as they've been making "excuses". A lot of people though this was fat shaming at the time and I agree. Being healthy is great, being a dick about it is does more harm than good especially since a lot of people struggling with body issues are going to be especially sensitive about to begin with.

On a side note, Maria Kang (the woman in that picture) is self-employed and currently works as a "freelance writer". What that means is that she owns her own schedule. If she needs to take some extra time to work out more to lose weight, she can put off articles a few hours and do them after dinner. Most people don't run their own businesses and instead are at the whims of their employers. Especially jobs with lots of travel, uneven hours, and high stress make it difficult to stay fit. I just resent the lack of context in her whole campaign. Context is everything.

As much as I agree with you that getting into phenomenal shape is a full time job, I disagree with you that there's luck involved with losing weight. You also don't need to make large sacrifices, you just need to reduce your caloric intake by several hundred calories a day and maybe start doing some mild exercise. It's simple, but as someone else in this thread said, not easy. If you're a fat adult with normal intelligence and no disabilities, you can control your weight. The "context" just amounts to excuses. Again, getting into excellent shape, both athletically and aesthetically (if we're using the mainstream ideal of aesthetics... obviously we prefer thicker women), does require a large and sustained effort, but merely losing weight and keeping it off is not an ordeal; it's doable! You can spend hours posting these excuses to your tumblr and complaining about shitlord fat-shamers -- college weight gain, work-related stress, slow metabolism, kids, etc  travel, uneven hours, and high stress jobs -- or you can spend some of that time tracking your calories and taking short walks.

As much as I agree with you that getting into phenomenal shape is a full time job, I disagree with you that there's luck involved with losing weight. You also don't need to make large sacrifices, you just need to reduce your caloric intake by several hundred calories a day and maybe start doing some mild exercise. It's simple, but as someone else in this thread said, not easy. If you're a fat adult with normal intelligence and no disabilities, you can control your weight. The "context" just amounts to excuses. Again, getting into excellent shape, both athletically and aesthetically (if we're using the mainstream ideal of aesthetics... obviously we prefer thicker women), does require a large and sustained effort, but merely losing weight and keeping it off is not an ordeal; it's doable! You can spend hours posting these excuses to your tumblr and complaining about shitlord fat-shamers -- college weight gain, work-related stress, slow metabolism, kids, etc  travel, uneven hours, and high stress jobs -- or you can spend some of that time tracking your calories and taking short walks.

Honestly, that might work for a 20-something male, but women do not work the same way. Cutting calories and going for "short" walks is going to be enough to *maybe* maintain the weight of a lot of people older than the age of 30. There are girls with metabolisms so slow that they have to eat tiny amounts and run regularly to keep their shape. I think for a girl like this who is still in her 20's and devotes her life to fitness or this Kang woman who was clearly in shape before she had kids anyway, losing the extra 30-50 lbs won't be as difficult for someone who is already 100 lbs overweight and is 35-50 with no where the same base fitness. If you don't lose the weight by 40, you're going to have a really tough time dropping it, especially if you're on certain medications, which many people are. Maybe you haven't noticed, but diets fail *all* the time and it's not just because people are cheating.

I don't struggle with my weight and am lucky to have a metabolism that hasn't slowed down much, but I can tell you it really isn't as easy for everyone. Calling context "excuses" for someone who is already past their early 30's is a completely moot point, because at that point the good habits aren't there and it's a big uphill battle to develop those kinds of things the older you get. Young people have the luxury of having a clean slate fitness and health-wise and have the time to set good habits. I think some people really could put in more effort to meeting their goals, but at some point the weight and fitness snowballs and it gets to a point especially for women where it's almost insurmountable.

I don't want to drag this thread down with this discussion because it's tangential to why we're watching this girl's videos, but I would like to see what Maria Kang looks like in 15 years when her three kids are teenagers and she's running around taking care of them. I really doubt she's gong to have a chiseled set of abs when she's 45.

Honestly, that might work for a 20-something male, but women do not work the same way. Cutting calories and going for "short" walks is going to be enough to *maybe* maintain the weight of a lot of people older than the age of 30. There are girls with metabolisms so slow that they have to eat tiny amounts and run regularly to keep their shape. I think for a girl like this who is still in her 20's and devotes her life to fitness or this Kang woman who was clearly in shape before she had kids anyway, losing the extra 30-50 lbs won't be as difficult for someone who is already 100 lbs overweight and is 35-50 with no where the same base fitness. If you don't lose the weight by 40, you're going to have a really tough time dropping it, especially if you're on certain medications, which many people are. Maybe you haven't noticed, but diets fail *all* the time and it's not just because people are cheating.

I don't struggle with my weight and am lucky to have a metabolism that hasn't slowed down much, but I can tell you it really isn't as easy for everyone. Calling context "excuses" for someone who is already past their early 30's is a completely moot point, because at that point the good habits aren't there and it's a big uphill battle to develop those kinds of things the older you get. Young people have the luxury of having a clean slate fitness and health-wise and have the time to set good habits. I think some people really could put in more effort to meeting their goals, but at some point the weight and fitness snowballs and it gets to a point especially for women where it's almost insurmountable.

I don't want to drag this thread down with this discussion because it's tangential to why we're watching this girl's videos, but I would like to see what Maria Kang looks like in 15 years when her three kids are teenagers and she's running around taking care of them. I really doubt she's gong to have a chiseled set of abs when she's 45.

If you cut your calories slightly and slightly increase your level of activity, you will lose weight. People may struggle to do this for any number of reasons, some of which you've listed (perhaps they're taking an antidepressant that causes an increase in appetite, perhaps they are dramatically overestimating how many calories they burn (extremely common) and underestimating how many they eat (also very common), perhaps they're surrounded by people who undermine their efforts, or perhaps they've been eating a certain diet their entire lives and are continuing to do so out of inertia. Whatever the case, the fact is that if you follow this advice, weight loss is an inevitability. It isn't easy (for the reasons you mentioned and others), but it's possible.

I have no problem with people who want to be fat and are happy being fat, but there is misinformation in your posts that others have spread to you that you are now propagating. This misinformation is becoming more common, and it is damaging to those who aren't happy with their body size or composition. For example, you mention slow metabolism a lot, yet the difference in metabolism between most people (2 standard deviations, so 95% of a population) of the same height and weight is within ~600 calories. 68% of a population of the same height and weight has a BMR within 200 calories of each other. So as I said in my previous post, if you don't have a serious medical condition or disability, weight loss is possible if you slightly reduce your caloric intake over an extended period of time. Once you stop losing weight, you drop it again, and so on.

We should spread information that allows people to achieve their goals instead of making it sound like losing weight or changing habits is a near-impossible proposition, or as you say "near insurmountable." I am curious what physiological reason there is that makes losing weight more difficult for women than men. I am also curious why being in good athletic condition makes it easier to lose weight (yes, you can exercise more, but then your appetite increases, and a 30 minute jog or weight lifting session burns fewer calories than a cupcake).

Guest dayman

From her youtube:

Hey Guys . . . Unfortunately, I will not be posting a week 3 video this week. I picked up a bad viral infection during my travels and I am extremely sick! :(

Cover-up for a gain??? One can dream...

lol she did go on vacation.