Something sad I read last night...

Queen Victoria

Clever site. Just wait : continental wolves are expanding through Europe.

They'd have to be pretty darned good swimmers to naturally recolonize Scotland, though! ;)

Happily, the Scots may bring the wolf back themselves. Scotland is somewhat economically depressed, and the Scots are well aware of the eco-tourism that wolves generate in places like Italy. And it remains a pretty wild country in parts.

What I'm surprised and sad hasn't happened is the wolf spreading back to New England. I suppose the St. Lawrence seaway is pretty wide, but it does freeze from time to time. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago in his inexplicable campaign to exterminate the wolf, Obama dispatched members of the EPA to Maine to attempt to get the state to declare the wolf 'not native to the state.' Thus, if the creatures ever returned, they would be offered no protections, and could be shot on sight. It's pretty sad, but really just indicative of what a small, terrible little person Obama is (I assume a wolf must have looked at him wrong as a child).

And I thought Obama was awarded with the peace Nobel prize. I must have misread!

It's really sad. Wolves were protected under the Bush administration. Now, that's not to say that Republicans aren't partially at fault -- the protections were removed via a rider attached to a financing bill, which was put on by a conservative senator from Idaho (I think? Might have been Montana).

Having said that, the Obama administration were the ones who dispatched the EPA to New England to encourage people to prohibit natural wolf recovery. That one is pretty difficult to reconcile with the Democrats' typical position on hunting (and it outraged a lot of conservation groups). Like I said before, it really feels as if the president has something personal against wolves. Perhaps he feels like he just sees enough of them already, considering he sleeps next to a dog every night.