The Future of Fat

Guest ytram

Guest iamalostman

Not that I have any cred here, but I've found common sense ain't common in either sense of the word.  Most of us don't have it, and it's different for each of us who does.

To follow sbu too far on a tanget, I remember a story about effects that brain tumors have on behavior.  I suppose if they mapped out the brain well enough, they could elicit any behavior in anybody.

Clearly, that doctor guy on this forum needs to change is specialty to neurosurgery and make fat admiration come into vogue!

Not that I have any cred here, but I've found common sense ain't common in either sense of the word.  Most of us don't have it, and it's different for each of us who does.

To follow sbu too far on a tanget, I remember a story about effects that brain tumors have on behavior.  I suppose if they mapped out the brain well enough, they could elicit any behavior in anybody.

Clearly, that doctor guy on this forum needs to change is specialty to neurosurgery and make fat admiration come into vogue!

So we need to create a virus that strengthens womens desire to get fat? If so, who could do that for us and how much will he or she charge?  ;D

Guest omphpumph

So the only tech therefore must be to remedy the ill effects of unnecessary, unhealthy fat.  Meaning nanobots, drugs, etc. that fix damaged joints, diabetes, etc., removing one of the reasons people try not to be fat: the unnecessary, unhealthy fat has become unnecessary, *harmless* fat.  Couple that with the number of young folks with unnecessary fat that walk around wearing tight t-shirts, tight pants, spandex (for the women [and maybe the men!]), and revealing bathing suits.

Anyway, I think the demand for weight loss is primarily a matter of vanity rather than health. Fixing the latter would not have a significant impact on the weight loss industry.

These arguments are pretty convincing, if you ask me.

It's my observation that in general, human desire to eat as much as we want of the foods we love is significantly greater than our desire to be thin, especially for health reasons.  That is to say, as long as we continue to live in a market-driven economy, the demand to eat what we want and remain healthy will be greater than the demand to have good health while limiting our consumption of the food we love.  At present, our love of food conflicts with our desire to conform to current standards of beauty, but at present I see our standards of beauty much more likely to change than our love of food ever is.

As for most animals, food is one mankind's greatest concerns, motivators and pleasures.  It is less mutable than our definition of attractiveness.  As a species we frequently search for reasons to make eating, or eating to excess, okay.  Unless something happens to our desire to eat, and as long as food remains abundant, I don't see fat going anywhere.

In conditions of abundance, fat is a very natural component of life on our planet.  I think that as long as food remains abundant, people are going to become more and more accepting of being fat.

What's perhaps most surprising is how bothered by our expansion we are.  If you asked most other species about it, the dialogue would probably go something like this:

fat-sounds-awesome-lets-get-fat.jpg

Guest iamalostman

That's a really good point, Chef, and it's really fundamental.  Food tastes good!  Would the search for reasons to make eating to excess okay include, say, cakes for every occasion?  I agree that the standards of beauty are more likely to change than our desire to eat.  Full-figured has been or is the model of beauty for many cultures, so we know it's possible, but every culture I've encountered has a love of food, and the most beloved food is often the most fattening.

I love the comic.  It's awesome and accurate.

• 2 months later...

Kind of necroposting here, but this is a discussion-based thread so I don't think it counts.

I've been reading some science fiction lately as well as catching up on global trends.  At the world's current rate, in the not too distant future the majority of people on Earth will be obese and of Asian heritage.

Recent reports say that 30% of the world (2.1 Billion people) is now overweight, and that because of such rapidly rising childhood obesity rates, some estimate that the number will jump to 50% by the year 2030, with as much as 50% of the U.S. obese.  So there that, and the fact that the majority of the world's population is Asian and unlike to change (and also that the old stereotype of naturally skinny Asians is quickly being crushed under the weight of Asia's fattening populace).

i would hope there was a machine that could change your body, from thin to fat

If it weren't for machines, there would be only a handful of fat people if any.  Thus far in human existence, the more mechanized our civilization has become, the fatter we've gotten.

I do sometimes envision a future in which nearly every facet of life is mechanized or robotic and humans weigh an average of 300 pounds.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Costco Guy

Not to be a downer, but I predict that at the latest, by 2100, genetic research will devise a method to regulate the human metabolism, thereby eliminating obesity.

Guest The Costco Guy

Agreed.  It is just a matter of time.  We live in the golden age of fat right now.

I'm just hoping I'm not alive to see the day that it all happens.

• Moderators

On the flip side of that prediction - if no one was fat how would you know you were attracted to it?

I imagine archive photographs of fat girls will still exist in the future ???

For example furries don't exist, yet people somehow find themselves attracted to them

Not to be a downer, but I predict that at the latest, by 2100, genetic research will devise a method to regulate the human metabolism, thereby eliminating obesity.

The question is, what will be discovered first, a "cure" for obesity or a way to mitigate the health consequences? Note that in Maggie's Story the thing that triggers her gain is a new drug that makes it safe to get extremely fat.

And imagine if BOTH discoveries are made? I think some people who might be afraid to do it nowadays would get fat if they could do it safely and knew they could easily get thin again if they chose.

do it safely and knew they could easily get thin again if they chose.

What about all the loose skin.

Note that in Maggie's Story the thing that triggers her gain is a new drug that makes it safe to get extremely fat.

Such a drug is implausible. There is no way the extra stress on heart and joints can be eliminated, even if other health risks are.

Furthermore, I believe in the future sexual behavior itself is going to be changeable through technological means, so it is going to be easy for people to get rid of unwanted or logistically complicated fetishes or kinks.