The Future of Fat

Guest ytram

Moving further onward into the young millennium, I've been pondering the future of fat.  I often do, and while I love to envision a "fatopia" somewhere in the future, reality is never so tidy. 

Will science, technology, and the medical community have made breakthroughs that virtually erase all serious health risks to being fat, or will they have found a way to completely prevent any person from becoming fat in the first place?  Or something entirely different?

How do you imagine the future, and what path will we take?

Here's the thing about keeping people from getting fat without having them diet and exercise: all that mass has to go somewhere.

It is literally impossible, by reason of the conservation of mass (a core principle on which the existence of the entire universe literally depends) to just freely remove mass.  You can change it and you can move it, but you can't just make it go away.  Unless adult diapers become fashionable, there will never be a pill that will let someone eat however much they want without gaining weight.

For reasons of physics, literally, it is conceptually easier to make being far healthy than to make being fat impossible (through medical therapy).

Here's the thing about keeping people from getting fat without having them diet and exercise: all that mass has to go somewhere.

It is literally impossible, by reason of the conservation of mass (a core principle on which the existence of the entire universe literally depends) to just freely remove mass.  You can change it and you can move it, but you can't just make it go away.  Unless adult diapers become fashionable, there will never be a pill that will let someone eat however much they want without gaining weight.

For reasons of physics, literally, it is conceptually easier to make being far healthy than to make being fat impossible (through medical therapy).

I'm not sure that holds up in light of the fact there are people eating the same amount but not gaining the same amount of weight. One will gain nothing, the other one will gain 50 pounds on the same diet, over time.

This proves there's another component to the equation you did not factor in.

You say conservation of mass. This is true. It's just that there's a variance in how much people take some of that mass and make it their own. Once they device a pill that controls that process (and they will eventually, because of the variance), we're fucked!

Unless adult diapers become fashionable, there will never be a pill that will let someone eat however much they want without gaining weight.

I think there will.  People will eat exactly what they want, only this pill or medical technology will ensure that as much as they want isn't very much.

• Moderators

As Vennie suggests, we will one day be able to regulate the metabolism - when we can do this, no one will be fat.

Don't worry, there will always be fat admiration and there will always be people who want to be fat.

There are people in this community who are gaining because they want to, and there is no reason why that would change. If anything it means there would more gainers because a girl could gain loads, then if she wanted to lose weight, she could "regulate her metabolism" and slim down again just as easy ::)

I think that if/when that happens, the only fat people will be those who actually want to be fat.

I have a suspicion that would turn out to be a tiny fraction of the population:

1) Most chicks who claim to like being fat are in fact simply reconciling themselves to the condition, and if it was easy to be thin then they would chose to be so.

2)  If everyone could be thin, then society would consider those who actively chose to be fat to be even more weird and perverse than they currently do.

3)  Even those girls who genuinely do like being fat often only arrive at this conclusion after a lengthy process of not liking it.  If there is a cure for fatness regularly available, the chances of them enduring years of being uncomfortable with their size before coming to terms with it are low.

I have a suspicion that would turn out to be a tiny fraction of the population:

1) Most chicks who claim to like being fat are in fact simply reconciling themselves to the condition, and if it was easy to be thin then they would chose to be so.

2)  If everyone could be thin, then society would consider those who actively chose to be fat to be even more weird and perverse than they currently do.

3)  Even those girls who genuinely do like being fat often only arrive at this conclusion after a lengthy process of not liking it.  If there is a cure for fatness regularly available, the chances of them enduring years of being uncomfortable with their size before coming to terms with it are low.

Agreed.

We should bomb the company who is developing such medication.

As Vennie suggests, we will one day be able to regulate the metabolism - when we can do this, no one will be fat.

I seriously doubt that there will ever be a truly safe metabolism manipulation treatment that will eliminate fat. Fat is a natural state of the human body. Fat cells are not a biological 'mistake' like cancer cells. Rather, their existence is as natural as muscle cells or brain cells. And the body evolved to store excess energy in those fat cells. Therefore, being fat is the body working as 'designed' when in an environment of surplus calories.

So I think that any metabolic tweaks to prevent fat gain no matter how scientifically advanced will be an unnatural state for the body and probably doomed to have nasty unintended consequences as such things often do. Any future anti-fat treatment will be around for a short time and hailed as a scientific miracle, until its nasty side is inevitably exposed and it goes the way of fen-phen. The long term effects on the prevalence of fat people will be negligible. 

I seriously doubt that there will ever be a truly safe metabolism manipulation treatment that will eliminate fat. Fat is a natural state of the human body. Fat cells are not a biological 'mistake' like cancer cells. Rather, their existence is as natural as muscle cells or brain cells. And the body evolved to store excess energy in those fat cells. Therefore, being fat is the body working as 'designed' when in an environment of surplus calories.

So I think that any metabolic tweaks to prevent fat gain no matter how scientifically advanced will be an unnatural state for the body and probably doomed to have nasty unintended consequences as such things often do. Any future anti-fat treatment will be around for a short time and hailed as a scientific miracle, until its nasty side is inevitably exposed and it goes the way of fen-phen. The long term effects on the prevalence of fat people will be negligible.

How about rebalancing of intestinal bacteria populations or... neural implants?  They've already come into use, terrifying as this is.

How about rebalancing of intestinal bacteria populations or... neural implants?  They've already come into use, terrifying as this is.

Like I said, there probably won't be any safe interventions. There will be plenty of advanced treatments, but since they all will come down to disrupting a natural body function, there will probably be nasty side effects.

I seriously doubt that there will ever be a truly safe metabolism manipulation treatment that will eliminate fat. Fat is a natural state of the human body. Fat cells are not a biological 'mistake' like cancer cells. Rather, their existence is as natural as muscle cells or brain cells. And the body evolved to store excess energy in those fat cells. Therefore, being fat is the body working as 'designed' when in an environment of surplus calories.

So I think that any metabolic tweaks to prevent fat gain no matter how scientifically advanced will be an unnatural state for the body and probably doomed to have nasty unintended consequences as such things often do. Any future anti-fat treatment will be around for a short time and hailed as a scientific miracle, until its nasty side is inevitably exposed and it goes the way of fen-phen. The long term effects on the prevalence of fat people will be negligible.

This is extremely naive. Firstly, fat is no more or less 'natural' than half of the things that cause death, including cancer, but also heart disease and stroke. They're the natural effects of complex biological systems which invariably deteriorate over time. Don't conflate 'natural' with what 'shit that makes you happy and live longer', because most of the things we've done to prolong our lives have been in defiance of nature.

Secondly, it's absolutely ridiculous that you think any of this somehow guarantees the fact that a cure would be a) extremely difficult, and B) doomed to fail as a result of a nasty side effect. We've managed to eradicate some of the nastiest, most complex viruses that mankind has ever been exposed to, have put data-sending satellites into deep space that will outlive our solar system, and accelerated particles to 99.99% the speed of light, and yet we can't cure the common cold. How simple or complex a scientific problem may be is not for a biased know-nothing such as yourself to determine.

Hell, even if all your predictions ended up being true it'd be by pure, dumb chance - not because you actually knew what the fuck you were talking about.